Old 08-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #21

I will also consider the service department at the dealership. At some point you may need to take your truck in for service. I've heard horror stories about the service department at my local Ford dealership, and for that reason I will never buy a vehicle from them.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #22

Two factors generally come int play with a new truck - what can you afford, and what do you like best. I have had two Ram diesels, both 2nd generation diesels. On Doge, the weak point has always been the transmission. The Cummins engine is almost bullet proof, bit after 2003, they did begin to have issues with overheating. Even had a Doge sales guy tell me to buy a Ford when I was in the market for a new truck (thought that was hilarious!). I ended up going with a F350 SD 6.4L SRW longed truck. Primary reason was that 1) it had a higher load / tow capacity than Dodge and Chevy, 2) Was a lot more comfortable n the interior and roomier, 3) had great torque and acceleration. Chevy never entered into the conversation for me. In the Northwest, where I live, you see Dodge and Ford as the bulk of work trucks around. These have both proven themselves to be viable vehicles and each has its own quirks. Take a look around some of the Dodge Cummins and Powerstoke forums to get an idea of issues people may be having. That won give you an idea of how best to spend $50 to $60K dollars. Good luck... BTW- love my truck and am very happy with it.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #23

What I don't see above is that the RAM is not made by a US truck company
and it is made in Mexico. They sell a lot of the RAMS in SE Texas because they are cheaper then the Ford or Chev/GMC around here. I wen with the F250, diesel, CC, RWD
with a long bed. The 6.7 is less nosie and no black smoke. Good Luck
Old 08-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
One problem John

Ok two

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
LOOK!!! That GM broke down when he was backing out... sad.
Days camped 2016 8 2017 1
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #25

I looked at a 2012 f250 4x4 6.7 proudly displayed on the door yesterday.... I hopped to see the cargo...MMMM 2002lbs. I said dang. My ole Dodge has 2065 and it's a joke. I was very surprised by the low capacity. It had a factory 5th and goose package...I hope his 5er ain't more than 25 ft.
Moral of the story... check the cargo BEFORE you buy.
Days camped 2016 8 2017 1
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
What I don't see above is that the RAM is not made by a US truck company
and it is made in Mexico. They sell a lot of the RAMS in SE Texas because they are cheaper then the Ford or Chev/GMC around here. I wen with the F250, diesel, CC, RWD
with a long bed. The 6.7 is less nosie and no black smoke. Good Luck
On either the Ford or the Dodge if you are rollin coal you are not setup correctly JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #27

My guess is you will get a better deal on the Ford because they are bringing out a totally new HD truck and the dealers will not want to be stuck with the old model.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #28

This year they are coming out with an all aluminum 250/350 truck with a different weight distribution as I was told while at the ford dealer having my truck worked on. My brother who works for the county said they have not had good luck with the aluminum beds on the fords they bought they dent easier then the steal. But carry more payload (F150)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #29

I got my 12 Cummins because I heard nothing but horror stories about the HPFP CP.4 that Ford, VW and GM were using. Cummins still uses the CP.3 which is way more reliable. VW and GM were proudly honoring HPFP failures but Ford was telling their owners that the failure was their fault regardless of the cause. So much for buying American.
I also heard that Ram/Dodge trucks were complete junk. Well my 12 is a little over 4years old and is as solid as when new. More than I could say for the 2010 F150 I traded in on it.
So much misinformation on the net about all the trucks. Best thing to do is drive all and decide.
I would've looked at GM but for some reason they just don't have very many to look at where I live. I'm guessing the reason is that they just don't sell that many. Last sale report I saw GM trailed Ram and Ford in 3500 sales and was barely ahead of Ram in 2500 sales.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #30

Cummins premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
I got my 12 Cummins because I heard nothing but horror stories about the HPFP CP.4 that Ford, VW and GM were using. Cummins still uses the CP.3 which is way more reliable. VW and GM were proudly honoring HPFP failures but Ford was telling their owners that the failure was their fault regardless of the cause.

Yup, Ford pretty much says any HPFP problem is due to water and deny the claim... which can be over $10k to fix. This is what I have read; I have no personal knowledge. Lots of write-ups out there reporting the same thing.

I'll continue to run the piss out of my gasser and not worry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk