Old 08-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #31

I understand that Ford or Bosch has tweaked the new CP.4s to potentially eliminate catastrophic failures. Haven't heard or read much lately so they must've done something right.
It's a shame too, as I've been a Ford guy for many years. I would give them another chance no doubt. But probably go back to a gasser regardless of which brand.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #32

Looking at my sig it's easy to see my preference. I love this truck. Always used a pickup or suburban in my daily work so I have some experience but never had a freekin diesel. The only other Dodge/RAM PU I ever had was a long time ago 1/2 ton 1951... (wish I still had that) but I digress..

You did not ask but if I were to do it over... I would go with the 3500 SWD to get that extra payload whether you go Powerstroke, Cummins or Duramax. It's almost the same money.

Isn't it fun getting ready to "pull the trigger"?

raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfort View Post
Honest opinion is nope. The cummins is a good motor but I have seen way to many issues with a Dodge and I will never own another but that is my opinion as a former Dodge owner and technician. You have to decide if it is worth it to you.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Honest opinion is yup. Have owned others, but the Cummins is in a class by itself. Have had no issues with ours. Powerstroke- is that the one that is 8 cylinders and you can't work on it cause there's no room under the hood?!? The ride in the RAM is quite a bit better since they went to coil springs. Would never own a Powerstroke myself, but that's just personal preference. Seriously, the big 3 diesels are all pretty nice, but there's only one Cummins. You will never look back...
Old 08-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #34

Biggest issue I have with Chrysler products is getting parts. Discontinuing parts after a couple years, back order parts with no release date. I currently have 4 Chrysler products at my repair facility that are waiting and have been for over a month for back order parts, one sent to auction because parts are discontinued and one under an airbag recall they don't even know how to fix yet. This has been the norm for the last couple years. Just my observation.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Old 08-26-2016, 11:36 PM   #35

I am on my second Dodge/Ram. 2005 3500 followed by 2015 3500. Son in law now has the 2005. Still going strong. I am a diesel mechanic (or was). Cummins is not without problems. Everything from bad blocks to fuel filters that ruined engines. Nothing as bad as Ford 6.0 and 6.4. Doges best engine was the 12 valve and Fords was the 7.3. The Duramax is just as good as the current Cummins or Ford. It would be nice to see the big three get out of horse power war and get into a durability war.
Buy the truck you like the best, take care of it and hope it takes care of you.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:45 AM   #36

I have owned 4x4 trucks, many diesel, since 1976. Dodge before Ram included. All are very good trucks. I put 45,000 miles annually on my daily driver diesel. All service is done at the dealer. Because I pull heavy equipment and the 5er 3/4 tons will not work only because the payload is not there on any diesel. Payload they all work but find every Ram owned required airbags and have never had that kind of sag on a Ford. I get a higher percentage of price returned at resale or trade in with Ford too BUT that is in my area, in some areas GM does well but Ram usually has less value returned. Most of all I have had great service from every Ford dealer and not every Ram dealer. Every Ford dealer I've been to has at least one certified diesel mechanic, did not find that at Ram. Last but certainly not least ~~ 45,000 ++ miles annually and my tush appreciates the comfort of Ford. I'll consider Ram at every purchase but FOR ME they have a long way to go.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Powerstroke- is that the one that is 8 cylinders and you can't work on it cause there's no room under the hood

You are on a message board where 90% of the folks take their RV back to the dealer to have a screw replaced under warranty. I don't think your argument is valid! Lol.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
You are on a message board where 90% of the folks take their RV back to the dealer to have a screw replaced under warranty. I don't think your argument is valid! Lol.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Those are the same that complain that it takes so long to get that screw replaced at their rv dealer and are upset a non-selling dealer does not want to make their warranty claim a priority. Lol
Old 08-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Not really; I have serviced my Cummins engine and Ram truck from day one of ownership. I have done 19 oil changes after the first one was done by the dealer and I have done 10 fuel filter changes. Plus three transmission oil changes with both filters and three differential oil changes along with the air cleaner filter.

When I went looking at all three pick-up truck brands I checked for serviceability first than ease of use and drivability. The Ram with the Cummins came out on top. Ease of serviceability will equate in lower service cost from the dealer also. You do not have to removed components and reinstall them when servicing the truck.

Now if you do not mind having the Cab lifted off of the frame to service the engine than by all means buy the Ford.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #40

Everyone has an opinion truly one is as good as the other.

I had a lot of trouble with Fords so I now like the Cummins. So no more junk Ford trucks for us, got tired of them living in the repair shop. Bought two Dodge Rams and have never looked back. Just my opinion Ford stopped making trucks after 1979. The last 3 Ford trucks I owned were pure crap, but the diesel engines were ok. The rest of the truck fell apart.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote