Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #41

None of my trucks have ever (unless it was free ) been to the dealership for an oil or filter change. I have always taken care of that. ...got a guy now that will change & dispose of my old oil for $10 with no waiting......I just bring my oil & filter.

The last three Fords we owned had to have at least one transmission replaced. The last one 3 in 110K miles and needing a fourth..... The one before that two in 75K needing a third...........

The only warranty work the dealer ever did was on our campers, 1988 the refrigerator quit ended up being a common issue with that model back then. .....and the 2013 because the inside wallpaper borders were falling off, and so the outside cap decal was peeling. Wife wasn't too happy about that..... Our Puma was truely a MA Unleashed for a while I wanting to leave it that way.........

So maybe we are in the 10% Oh ya I replaced the missing screws

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #42

I drive a tow truck, a f650 with 389k miles on it, with a 5.9 cummins and allison auto, truck runs good , never had a big problem with it, but the ford part of the truck (body) is falling apart. Now im a die hard jeep guy so i dont have much to say about trucks BUT im dropping off broken rams at least once a week at the dealer, hardly any fords, but that may be due to there seem to be more rams in my area than fords. I would bet you can get a better deal on a ford with the new 250/350 coming out soon, my friend works at a dealer and got to test drive one, said he will be buying one soon as they come out and he currently has a '14 2500 ram , tuned, deleted with air ride.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Everyone has an opinion truly one is as good as the other.

I had a lot of trouble with Fords so I now like the Cummins. So no more junk Ford trucks for us, got tired of them living in the repair shop. Bought two Dodge Rams and have never looked back. Just my opinion Ford stopped making trucks after 1979. The last 3 Ford trucks I owned were pure crap, but the diesel engines were ok. The rest of the truck fell apart.

I'll not call Rams junk,,, but had nothing but trouble with the last 2. Enough that unless they gave me one and allowed me to keep my Ford another Ram will not disgrace my driveway.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #44
fx2

In the end we decided on neither. We'll keep the current F150 until my commute to work shortens (65 miles each way on crap Southern CA freeways). Figure I have less than a year until relocating out corporate offices closer to home and then will take a look at the new super duty.

For short trips the F150 is fine. Longer ones I will grab one of the service trucks from our fleet (older F350 or Dodge 3500).

I drove both and they were both comfortable but too rough on our tore up freeways.
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
You are on a message board where 90% of the folks take their RV back to the dealer to have a screw replaced under warranty. I don't think your argument is valid! Lol.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #46

05 ram 165k with no problems. Friend has 01 450k with one transmission rebuild. If you keep a warranty on the ford you will be ok. Alot 6.7 fords are having turbo problems, cab has to be removed to get at many parts. So pick your poison, ram that you may have to work on to keep the truck together, with a very reliable motor. Ford with more power, better ride, and 3500.00 turbo replacement, plus 2000.00 for cab removel at about 200,000 miles.
Elmo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #47

I know of four people well five if I included myself that have had the EGR cooler problem as well as the 6.0 head bolt issue with the ford. I loved my 2004 F350 but after leaving me on the side of the road pulling my 5th wheel and family three times over the last year I had to give the 2016 Ram 3500 a shot
Well I only wish I had switched sooner it would have saved me thousands in repairs. IMO the Ram has way more power and maintains the speed that I'm comfortable with even on hills with 6 to 8 percent grades. The Ram was about 15k under the price of a new Ford or Chevy and seems to be easier to work on. Now I will say if you like all of the fancy bells and whistles then the Ford was the way to go. I loved the new one I test drove and man did it look good but I had to do a reality check and go with my gut and the reason I was looking for a new truck in the first place. Ford has big problems with their diesels and until they come out with a reliable engine I must stay with the Ram
Camperstewart is offline   Reply With Quote