Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #1

Curt 16022 Ram Fifth Wheel Frame

Can anyone tell me if you could use a Reese slider on the Curt 16022 frame? I'm having no luck finding out. Thank you.
skullcleaner56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:30 AM   #2

Curt 16022 Ram Fifth Wheel Frame

Good question. Not too sure the answer to help you. Are you stuck in the Curt frame? Here’s my set up just to give you an idea what else is out there. I have the SuperGlide auto slide on the Demco rails which mount to the factory puck system. My truck in a 2017 Ram 2500 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1558.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	158983
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
Good question. Not too sure the answer to help you. Are you stuck in the Curt frame? Here’s my set up just to give you an idea what else is out there. I have the SuperGlide auto slide on the Demco rails which mount to the factory puck system. My truck in a 2017 Ram 2500 Attachment 158983
No I'm not stuck on the Curt frame. I just liked the design and ease of installation. I will definitely look in to the set up you have there, looks "beefy"!!!
Old 12-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #4

The reason I went with this rail system is that it’s the lowest set up that way the hitch isn’t sitting 3-5 inches higher above the bed rails like other rail systems.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #5

X2 what Chris Allen has said I to went with the Demco because of the low profile, although my truck is a Ford. Reese also has the next closest adapter for the Ram only 2 inches high.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Good question. Not too sure the answer to help you. Are you stuck in the Curt frame? Here’s my set up just to give you an idea what else is out there. I have the SuperGlide auto slide on the Demco rails which mount to the factory puck system. My truck in a 2017 Ram 2500 Attachment 158983
Most hitches can be fitted to most trucks. The question is... is there sufficient strength in the truck frame to handle it? Here's the trick and the answer to that.

Like I did with my Silverado, raise the tub, bolt (or weld) heavy gauge steel right-angle brackets/braces to chassis rails (at the correct places for the hitch rails) and with the tub back in place, bolt the hitch rails to the braces.

My truck came with a ball hitch mounted on an obscenely heavy structure that fitted across the entire chassis width, with 'legs' that bolted to the chassis. When I had the Reese R20 fitted, this massive thing was removed and replaced with two brackets and the light-weight-but rigid hitch rails bolted to them.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
Most hitches can be fitted to most trucks. The question is... is there sufficient strength in the truck frame to handle it? Here's the trick and the answer to that.

Like I did with my Silverado, raise the tub, bolt (or weld) heavy gauge steel right-angle brackets/braces to chassis rails (at the correct places for the hitch rails) and with the tub back in place, bolt the hitch rails to the braces.

My truck came with a ball hitch mounted on an obscenely heavy structure that fitted across the entire chassis width, with 'legs' that bolted to the chassis. When I had the Reese R20 fitted, this massive thing was removed and replaced with two brackets and the light-weight-but rigid hitch rails bolted to them.

Or just buy a truck equipped with the set up already from the factory so you can cut out all the nonsense trying to do the all kinds of stupid math to see if the truck can handle it.

The OP is asking a question about a frame system that will mount to his Factory Puck System. Therefore the question if his truck can handle it is not the question.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #8

I have a 2014 2500 with the factory puck system already installed. I'm just wondering if the Curt mount will work with other fifth wheel hitches. Believe it's ready to go, just need the finishing touches!!
Old 12-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #9

E trailer says no it is only designed for Curt Sliders.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #10

Quote:
I just looked into these Pullrite Superglide hitches. How do you like yours?
Old 01-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcleaner56 View Post
I just looked into these Pullrite Superglide hitches. How do you like yours?

The only real issue I have with it is it’s heavy. I do have a hoist set up in my garage in the event I need to take it out.

It doesn’t bother me because I use my truck 95% of the time to pull the trailer. Otherwise it sits. So I leave it in the bed with a cover on the bed. Other than that I like it. Takes all the guessing out if my trailer will hit the cab or not. As far as maintenance goes just a little WD-40 on the rails before each trip and it’s good to go. I’ve had this hitch for about 3 years now. 2 different trailers.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
The only real issue I have with it is it’s heavy. I do have a hoist set up in my garage in the event I need to take it out.

It doesn’t bother me because I use my truck 95% of the time to pull the trailer. Otherwise it sits. So I leave it in the bed with a cover on the bed. Other than that I like it. Takes all the guessing out if my trailer will hit the cab or not. As far as maintenance goes just a little WD-40 on the rails before each trip and it’s good to go. I’ve had this hitch for about 3 years now. 2 different trailers.
Yeah that's what I'm reading is the weight of them but I really like the concept of the hitch and not having to worry about it. I've had travel trailers for years but this year will be the first 5th wheel we'll own.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Yeah that's what I'm reading is the weight of them but I really like the concept of the hitch and not having to worry about it. I've had travel trailers for years but this year will be the first 5th wheel we'll own.

I did loads of research when I switched to a 5er and from my research this was the best option. Now, there will be people who tell you this is better or that is better. Just my OPINION. Lol.

I really like it. Simple to use. Peace of mind. Very low maintenance. 2 guys can pick it up and move it with no problem. I like the travel it has back and forth and side to side too. Never had it bind up. Keep the rails lubed and head down the road.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #14

Quote:
I did loads of research when I switched to a 5er and from my research this was the best option. Now, there will be people who tell you this is better or that is better. Just my OPINION. Lol.

I really like it. Simple to use. Peace of mind. Very low maintenance. 2 guys can pick it up and move it with no problem. I like the travel it has back and forth and side to side too. Never had it bind up. Keep the rails lubed and head down the road.
That's awesome! This will be the hitch that I'll be getting. There's just so many pros to this thing, I won't even worry about the weight of it. Lol. I'm finding used ones in my area and they dang near look like they are new or used very little. I have another quick question for you. Are the capture plates pretty much universal? Are they hard to install in the 5er?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #15

Quote:
That's awesome! This will be the hitch that I'll be getting. There's just so many pros to this thing, I won't even worry about the weight of it. Lol. I'm finding used ones in my area and they dang near look like they are new or used very little. I have another quick question for you. Are the capture plates pretty much universal? Are they hard to install in the 5er?

Which 5er are you getting? What is the pin? Is it that Reese pivoting one? The Reese revolution?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Which 5er are you getting? What is the pin? Is it that Reese pivoting one? The Reese revolution?
We're leaning towards either a Wildcat by Forrest River or a Jayco Eagle. Not sure what king pin assembly they have tho
Old 01-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #17

Quote:
We're leaning towards either a Wildcat by Forrest River or a Jayco Eagle. Not sure what king pin assembly they have tho

You are in luck. My last 5er was a Jayco. They use a Mor-Ryde hitch. The capture plates bots directly to he hitch solid so there’s no play.

The wildcat I bet has the Reese revolution and there’s a wedge I found on I believe amazon for around $35 that bolts directly instead of a actual plate. I did not like the plate design for the Reese hitch. There was way too much play for my liking so I went with the wedge.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #18

Quote:
You are in luck. My last 5er was a Jayco. They use a Mor-Ryde hitch. The capture plates bots directly to he hitch solid so there’s no play.

The wildcat I bet has the Reese revolution and there’s a wedge I found on I believe amazon for around $35 that bolts directly instead of a actual plate. I did not like the plate design for the Reese hitch. There was way too much play for my liking so I went with the wedge.
Good to know, I'll be researching those option. Thank you so much for all your help!! Looking forward to us getting a 5er!!
Old 01-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Good to know, I'll be researching those option. Thank you so much for all your help!! Looking forward to us getting a 5er!!

Absolutely! That’s what are all here for.

Btw. You can’t go wrong with either brands. I’ve owned 3 Forest Rivers and 2 Jaycos. Both are great brands. 1 5er of each manufacturer.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Absolutely! That’s what are all here for.

Btw. You can’t go wrong with either brands. I’ve owned 3 Forest Rivers and 2 Jaycos. Both are great brands. 1 5er of each manufacturer.
Thanks! We really like the Eagle but that Wildcat isn't far behind! It's gonna be a tough decision but I'm thankful we at least have it narrowed down. Lol

Tags
fifth wheel, frame, wheel