Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 02:37 AM   #21

Curt 5er hitches are not made in Wisconsin per any of the research I have done.... maybe I am wrong. I will mention the parts guy at the rv store I ordered my hitch from did say that he doesn't get alot of hitches back, but the only ones he has ever had returned were Curt hitches with broken jaws. They sell B&W and Curt 99% of the time.

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #22

A broken jaw on your 5th wheel is not good that's for sure.
Wherever there made.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #23
Sloopoke

X2 on the B&W Companion without a slider. I have one on my 2008 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax and couldn't be happier. My 40' 5er has rounded corners on the front, and I have never come close to hitting the cab. The Companion allows the 5er's hitch plate to lean either direction and also front to back, which I feel makes it easier to pull without yanking the truck around so bad.
sloopoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #24
Don

B&W by all means

I have a Ford F350 with the factory Ford puck system and use a B&W Companion and I have never been happier. I have an 8 ft bed and pull a FR ultra light fifth wheel with the Reese Revolution pinbox. I use the wedge that was recommended the B&W folks and it does a fine job and is extremely easy to connect and disconnect. It is also in two pieces so I can install it and remove it by myself. Each piece weighs about 75 Lbs. I love that is is made in the USA. I had a Husky before and it was terrible. I can't even give it away. I tried to give it to the RV Dealer who installed my B&W and they said they couldn't give them away either. It is good that you are asking the question. I didn't and the dealer for the RV stuck me with the Husky. I paid a lot for it and the installation. If I had done my homework I could have saved about 1000 dollars. Anyway that is my 2 cents. Enjoy your RV and have a great camping summer.
Sandy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:14 PM   #25

I have a Reese slider in my 2016 F250 sb Never used the slider but should have once. 2 dimples in my cab
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #26

May not work in your case, but I love my B&W ball over and Andersen Ultimate hitch. Very quiet, very light (32lb), no grease, solid and made in USA.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #27
Winter Texan

Smoothest hitch out there.

Hensely BD-3 air hitch. It just goes up and down over the bumps and my GMC sierra 1 ton just remains smooth as silk. Absolutely love this hitch. It floats around 7 inches above my rails on my 6.5 foot box. Haven't needed any slides at all.

Gil Palmer
Cedar Creek 40 ft 36kcts
2015 GMC Denali 1 ton 6.6L diesel
Gilpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #28

Demco Hijacker on my 2015 F350 OEM puck system. First hitch, first fiver so nothing to compare, but it seems fine thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedT View Post
I have been pulling 5th wheels for about 15 years with the same old Reese hitch that came with the first one I bought. I am wanting to upgrade a little, this one is getting difficult to disconnect...especially if a little bit un-level.

I was just wanting some feedback on some of the hitches out there today.

I am pulling (ok...hadn't made 1st trip yet!) a 2016 Sierra 41' 355RE with a 2003 Chevy 2500HD, a Duramax and 6.5' bed.

I am leaning toward the B&W Patriot (RV Dealer recommended), but recently have been seeing info. on the Curt line of hitches.

I also have heard some negatives on the slider hitches, even though I have the short bed.

Thanks for the input and have a great evening!

I have a Sierra 376BHOK 43' and 3500 dually I use a BW Companian works great easy to fix anything if that should happen I drove semi for 30 yrs this is the best that found I'm fulltimer
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #30

First I've heard of a Companion hitch, and it sound and looks great looked at a couple of videos, it looks a little more challenging to hook up but nothing that can't handled.
I think I will be looking into getting one of those.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin1 View Post
First I've heard of a Companion hitch, and it sound and looks great looked at a couple of videos, it looks a little more challenging to hook up but nothing that can't handled.
I think I will be looking into getting one of those.
Hitching is super easy (and I can't watch what I'm doing due to a tool box in the bed of the truck).

Simply throw the lever forward (towards the cab), back in till you feel the pin / 5th wheel make final contact, get out and the lever is now in the rearward position on its own, drop the lever lock pin in the hole and you are good to go.

If some moron on Youtube made it look a little difficult, do NOT pay attention to that video.

I am as new as they come to 5th wheel toy haulers and its soooo easy.
Gil
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #32
Olemax

Reese Titan

I have a Reese Titan w/ 20K slider mated to a Sabre 31 RETS, on a SB (6-1/2') Sierra 2500. Never have used the slider, since the pin box is relatively long and the cap is rounded. The Titan FW works like a champ, is easy to disconnect and seems to accept a fair bit of offset in alignment when hitching. Nice feature is the indicator that tells you when the pin is in properly. I'm not saying this is the best hitch out there, just that I'm well satisfied with this one.
Let us know what you decide. Happy trails,
2006 Sierra 2500HD CC SB (sold)

olemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #33

Lot's of great feedback! Thanks everyone, I appreciate the inputs and knowledge sharing.

The parts manager from my dealer called me and said he had a "very slightly" used B&W Patriot possibly coming in on a trade. It seems a customer got too close to his rear windshield and now wants a slider!

If he makes me a pretty good deal, I will probably go that route for sure.

Thanks again everyone!

Ted
TedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #34
Riverss

Ted does the 355RE have the Reese Sidewinder/Revolution pin box if so just un lock (remove the lock out bolts) it and install the proper wedge for the Patriot and you will never regret it no slides and gobs of room to turn. added pluss IMO is that the pivot point is 22 inches to the rear so it tracks closer to the trucks tracks and i think easier to back up. i have both
Basenji back seat copilot named Lilly
riverss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:34 AM   #35

We have a PullRite Superglide in our 2008 Silverado 2500 HD Diesel with standard bed. Pulling a 2016 Cardinal 3250 Fifth Wheel. Outstanding results so far! Not overly expensive, trouble-free, automatically extends away from the cab when backing in tight quarters. We could not have asked for more.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #36
Aging Junior Member

With a 6.5 foot bed you'll want a slider IMHO. I have the B&W Companion slider and recommend it highly. Made in the USA and easily removable to leave a clean bed. It is a little pricier than other options, but it is worth it.
Good Luck.
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #37

I just put the new DEMCO HITCHIKER in my F-350 short box and their new slider is great.
Automatically moves on it's own just did 4000 miles everything went great. Check out UTUBE there's a good video.
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #38

Update:
I have been experiencing the issues with my Demco Autoslider. Just got back from a 3 month trip and about half the time the jaws would not engage until about 10 attempts at various heights and angles . One time it was so bad I had to ask a Good Samaritan with a " traditional" Reese to hook up my 5ver and pull it from the site to completely level ground so I could hook it up to my Demco. Embarrassing, frustrating , and not a little disappointing!

I plan on contacting Demco yet again to see if they have come up with any more suggestions...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:50 AM   #39

I think there is still something wrong in the hookup part of this unit I have a problem lately I wish Demco would come on here and explain, you are suppose to be able to use the lub disc now, but, I think it make be the problem still. I know what you mean about having to be perfectly straight as mine can be off a little and no go. As for our friend who just backs and goes, there have been problems with the jaws I have had mine replaced but it's getting time for another talk. They are very good to deal with. But your right it's time they spent more time on the problem. Once I'm going it is great.
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthorn View Post
I personally would stay with B&W or pullrite, as they are made I'm the USA. Curt is made in China.

I love my B&W Patriot!
Made in USA no longer a guarantee that is is not made by foreign labor if you catch my drift.

At least we can be 100% sure that the Curt hitch is made by legal citizens of their country.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, wheel