Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #1

Curt, Reese or B&W Fifth Wheel Hitches??

I have been pulling 5th wheels for about 15 years with the same old Reese hitch that came with the first one I bought. I am wanting to upgrade a little, this one is getting difficult to disconnect...especially if a little bit un-level.

I was just wanting some feedback on some of the hitches out there today.

I am pulling (ok...hadn't made 1st trip yet!) a 2016 Sierra 41' 355RE with a 2003 Chevy 2500HD, a Duramax and 6.5' bed.

I am leaning toward the B&W Patriot (RV Dealer recommended), but recently have been seeing info. on the Curt line of hitches.

I also have heard some negatives on the slider hitches, even though I have the short bed.

Thanks for the input and have a great evening!

TedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Take a look at the Pullright Superglide...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #3

IMO a short bed needs a slider, and here's why. I have Curt Q5 20K slider and pulled a Crossroads Cruiser and a FR Sandpiper for 4 years and never used it. Traded for a different brand and first time out crunched the driver's side of the cab backing into a site. At some point you may have other campers that don't have the turn radius of your current rig.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Take a look at the Pullright Superglide...

Is that one difficult to hook up? Not that I can't line up, just something I heard from talking around. One man's opinion (and maybe he couldn't line up his rig with the hitch!!!)

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
Left Coast

Just need to be fairly straight

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2016, 08:57 PM   #6

Thanks Bob!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
IMO a short bed needs a slider, and here's why. I have Curt Q5 20K slider and pulled a Crossroads Cruiser and a FR Sandpiper for 4 years and never used it. Traded for a different brand and first time out crunched the driver's side of the cab backing into a site. At some point you may have other campers that don't have the turn radius of your current rig.
Thanks for the feedback and Amazon has a pretty good price on the Curt with roller bar.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #8

I personally would stay with B&W or pullrite, as they are made I'm the USA. Curt is made in China.

I love my B&W Patriot!

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #9

Pull rite superglide.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #10

B&W now makes a Companion in a slider version!!! I drive a 15' RAM 2500 6.7 crew cab 4x4 short bed with the factory puck system and rolled the dice and installed the B&W Companion NON slider last summer (slider was not out yet) and have 0 clearance issues pulling a Puma Unleashed 351THSS 37' toy hauler. With all that said, the front cap of the Puma has corners that are cut way back therefore allowing a lot sharper turn radius w/o a slider 5th wheel hitch. I am able to get the truck 90* of trailer on uneven ground and still maintain a little cap to cab clearance. I do have my B&W adjusted all the way rearward and as low as it will go to keep the trailer as level as possible which still gives me 9" bed rail to trailer frame clearance. (I also have the pin adjusted as far up as possible in pin box to lower the nose of trailer to keep it level when towing).

The B&W is pricey, but rock solid and NEVER rattles whether hitched or not. The ease of hitching and un-hitching is stupid easy and completely effortless. Open the jaws with the lever and when everything stops, drop the lock pin in the lever, raise the landing gear and roll out.

Another great part about the B&W is I can be too far left or right and the plate will grab the pin and guide it right in the jaws. (I have a truck box in the bed of my truck and can't see what's going on and therefore have to rely on feel and common sense). LOL

Long story short, my $ will stay with B&W products as long as they keep up the quality they currently have.
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthorn View Post
I personally would stay with B&W or pullrite, as they are made I'm the USA. Curt is made in China.

I love my B&W Patriot!
The made in China helps me make a decision! I hadn't caught that...Thanks!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwilliams101 View Post
B&W now makes a Companion in a slider version!!! I drive a 15' RAM 2500 6.7 crew cab 4x4 short bed with the factory puck system and rolled the dice and installed the B&W Companion NON slider last summer (slider was not out yet) and have 0 clearance issues pulling a Puma Unleashed 351THSS 37' toy hauler. With all that said, the front cap of the Puma has corners that are cut way back therefore allowing a lot sharper turn radius w/o a slider 5th wheel hitch. I am able to get the truck 90* of trailer on uneven ground and still maintain a little cap to cab clearance. I do have my B&W adjusted all the way rearward and as low as it will go to keep the trailer as level as possible which still gives me 9" bed rail to trailer frame clearance. (I also have the pin adjusted as far up as possible in pin box to lower the nose of trailer to keep it level when towing).

The B&W is pricey, but rock solid and NEVER rattles whether hitched or not. The ease of hitching and un-hitching is stupid easy and completely effortless. Open the jaws with the lever and when everything stops, drop the lock pin in the lever, raise the landing gear and roll out.

Another great part about the B&W is I can be too far left or right and the plate will grab the pin and guide it right in the jaws. (I have a truck box in the bed of my truck and can't see what's going on and therefore have to rely on feel and common sense). LOL

Long story short, my $ will stay with B&W products as long as they keep up the quality they currently have.
Thanks for the information!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #13
Left Coast

Also, measure the height of existing hitch to bed floor.......try to stay close in height, or you'll be in to moving, up or down, the pin box.....and that might give you a bed rail clearance problem
Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Also, measure the height of existing hitch to bed floor.......try to stay close in height, or you'll be in to moving, up or down, the pin box.....and that might give you a bed rail clearance problem

That is a problem us RAM owners have..........They sit so high up in the rear that it's impossible to get the trailer completely level short of putting a lift kit on the trailer itself........... My B&W is adjusted all the way down and pin box all the way up and trailer still sits nose high when towing. I have thought about drilling more holes in trailer frame to put pin box 2" higher, but then I lose bedrail / trailer frame clearance.

What is the recc clearance for bedrail to trailer frame???
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #15
Left Coast

I solved that by lowering my 4x4 by removing rear spring spacer blocks, and clamping the front coils down 1 coil....ride now is no different than it was.....6" bed rail clearance. Didn't want to raise trailer, think it looks goofy....side winds, steps, and so forth also figured in...
Old 04-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #16

I really like our B&W Companion. Quiet, adjustable, and easy. I've seen some 5th wheel hitches that allow way too much side to side tilt. IMO a 5th wheel should only allow a few degrees of tilt side to side. B&W even adds a dampener.

I pull a gooseneck trailer as well, so I already had the turnover ball. The companion was a no brainer.

2015 Coachman Chaparral 360IBL
2012 6.7L Ford F350 SRW
53 nights camped in 2017.
farmncamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #17

Another very satisfied b&w companion hitch owner. Actually on my second after our fifth wheel rolled in a black ice accident. The b&w, I'd say, saved my truck and family from being pulled over with the 40' fifth wheel. Insurance covered the hitch or is just kept the old one after replacing a couple pins.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:27 PM   #18

I believe Curt is made in Wisconsin. and I think they are in Wisconsin USA
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:51 PM   #19
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Check out the Andersen Ultimate. Plenty of youtubes to see. If you research here or RV.net you will find that most of us owners really like them. No slider needed.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:01 AM   #20

We have a '15 Chevy 3500 SB/CC SRW pulling a '15 Piper 355RE. B&W Turnover and 3500 Companion. Easy hookup, negligible chucking now we are setup properly, and no noise. Only hitch I've owned, maybe I'm biased! Couldn't be happier. Never gets close to the cab, the RV is designed for Short beds, me thinks!
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	563.5 KB
ID:	106250  

Nights camped in 2016:03😄
D-maxx dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, wheel