Old 08-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #1
Dave Smith motors

Who from out of Idaho (Washington and Alaska) had bought a truck from this dealer recently? I put the feelers out for a new diesel truck (Chevy 2500HD or GMC 2500HD). The 3 dealers in Nor Cal I have gone to don't have what I am looking for stock and I hate the 2-3 hour paper games for me to get a good deal.

Their Internet prices (the few you can see) are way WAY under what I would get one for here. Most of their prices are "too low to show". They claim to be hassle free and have over 1000 trucks in stock. They have free shuttle pickup from the Spokane airport. It's a 13.5 hour drive back home, which is a good time brake the engine in.

What I fear, as well as the wife, is that if we sell our current TV (which we still love), and fly up there and we get the run around.

My main question is how does the sales tax work for California. California DMV is completely greedy and will assess a sales tax on your new out of state purchase, even if you already paid sales tax for another state. (I have 21 years left working for CA so moving out of state is not an option). I believe for them not to assess the CA tax you have to own it for a year with out of state registration (which requires residency)

Thanks in advance

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 5.7L 10k tow package
2017 Rockwood 2702WS
Equal-i-zer 4 point, Prodigy 3 brake controller

2016 nights camped = 11
Chpusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
I have purchased 2 vehicles from Dave Smith. I also know 6 others who have purchased here. I loved it. No hassles, just call them up and they will tell you the bottom line price, then you take it or leave it. They beat the local dealers in SW Washington and NW Oregon by thousands. You will still have to pay the Sales Tax in CA as I did in Washington. I just went to the licensing bureau and paid the tax when I registered the vehicle. Easy to do and quite a bit less than if I had bought locally due to the lower sales price. Pick up was easy as well. I flew into Spokane, WA and the dealer picked me up. Within 30 minutes of arrival I was driving off the lot.

I did the whole deal over the phone in less than an 45 minutes total. I had already wasted hours at local dealers with the run around so I knew the price they offered was well below local lots. May take a bit longer if you are financing and they offer some great rates!

I would recommend and will buy from them again in the future when the time arises for another new vehicle.

2016 FR3 30DS and a
97 Jeep Wrangler that follows me to close
Cigarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
I bought a new Dodge Ram 3500 from them a few years ago. Great experience, would do it again.
2009 Sunseeker 2860DS
Bulldog keyless entry
Firestone airbags
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I have no personal experience with Dave Smith but live a few hundred miles away in Oregon and have known many of their customers going back to the early 90's. I don't recall ever once hearing a negative comment about them and see their pink plates around town all the time. The only reason I have never purchased from them myself is that every time I consider buying new I eventually end up with an ~3 year old vehicle instead...MUCH cheaper, even at Dave's prices (although a lot more work to get the deal).
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CCSB, D/A, MaxBrake, B&W Companion, Retrax Pro, AR Power Steps
2013 Rockwood 8289WS w/Diamond pkg
1969 Camaro RS/SS Convertible
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
I have a 2016 Chevy 2500HD Diesel. Drove from Las Vegas up. They paid for motel room and added a $900 step to the truck and was cheaper than LV.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
I think I am one of the few who felt like Dave Smith was trying to pull a fast one on me. As I worked with them on the deal and started asking for more pictures than just the ones on their website my salesman started getting wishy washy on me. Once I finally got pictures I noticed a number of things not on the truck that I was told were included such as running boards and the factory bed liner. I was then told they were extra and by the time he included them in the price and I factored in airfare my local dealer price was thousands cheaper. If you're a Costco member try their auto purchase program to see how the pricing lines up.
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #7
If you are getting a loan Smith can put the CA sales tax right into it, if not you will just have to pay your local taxes when you register it. You can create a Montana LLC and license the truck through the LLC with Montana plates. Montana has no sales tax. California may try and get pissy at some point but it is how big corporations avoid high local taxes all the time, no reason a little guy can't take advantage of the same rules.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #8
Doesnt get much easier than Dave Smith. Find the truck you want on line, give them a call, they tell you the price and if you agree go pick up truck. Takes about an hour once your on the property till you are driving away in your new truck. Just took a friend over there last week for his new Ram. Bonus for me for I received my $100 referral. Usually $10000 under msrp.
guyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #9
When I bought my truck, I was ordering one from the factory. I contacted 3 local dealers (< 60 miles away) and Dave Smith. Each dealer literally came within $50-100 of each other. I opted for the one that was most convenient for after-sale service.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
Our local dealers do come close to Smith as well but that's only because Smith is 2 hours away. Where the locals don't do as well is on what is new and hot or in high demand like say an Ecodiesel Ram or Hellcat Challenger. Dave Smith treats those like anything else they sell. The 2500 Cummins depends of supply, sometimes the locals do good, sometimes they are willing to hold out for more as they only have a few to sell. Dave Smith even if it was the last Cummins on earth would sell it for near invoice and they seem to get even more factory incentives they pass on due to their high volume.
All that said I have never bought from them, the one new thing I have ever bought, a new for 2003 Hemi 1/2 ton, the local guys matched Smith. Otherwise I buy used and I think their used cars are overpriced.

Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote