Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Glenn5995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 926
Camplight,

If you could provide more information about your Ram, such as GVWR, GCWR, gear ratio, long or short bed, we can help you with a more informed opinion. In the worst case scenario, you will be well over the ability of your tow vehicle. In the best case, you will be at least right at and probably slightly over your limits.

KS is pretty flat and you are not planning any long trips (that may well change once you have it and start to enjoy it), so that will make it a little easier to be towing at capacity. If you have P-Metric tires, I would certainly be upgrading to LT tires. Don't skimp on a brake controller. I would suggest the Prodigy P2 or P3 by Tekonsha or the G2 by Hayes. If you have a short bed, you will not be able to make a sharp turn without the fifth wheel cap striking the cab. I would normally recommend an automatic slider (what I have), but the the SuperGlide is very heavy and as you are close to or over your GVWR, you might be better suited to select a manual slider or a Sidewinder pin box.

Do you currently have another camper and this consideration is an upgrade or are you completely new to this? I assume that because you are considering a bunkhouse model, you have children. Camping is certainly a great family experience and a memory and bond creator, so I encourage you to find a way to make it work, but safely. If not with this model, there are certainly many options out there within the capability of you Ram. Good Luck!

Glenn

**EDIT**: Camplight, you answered many of the questions while I was reading, typing and responding, so never mind.
__________________

__________________

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,283
That does seem a little steep, as the new ones are in the $27-28 range, and they are a different trailer. The newer ones are taller, so have a bit roomier bedroom area, and more storage underneath the bedroom.
But of course it all depends on condition. A premium unit stored inside might be worth that.
__________________

__________________
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Glenn5995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by camplight View Post
Does anyone have a good feel for the price for this 2006 Rockwood by Forest River 30 ft. Signature Ultra light Fifth Wheel? They are asking $18900, but I feel from research and price comparison, this is too much. I have seen others in the $15K-$16K range. This one is appealing to me because it is 45 miles from my home town and others online are states away.

Thoughts?
It does sound a little high to me. We purchased ours new for $24,???. I would try to get them down some, but if it in good condition and a floor plan that will work well for you, I wouldn't completely disregard it if your budget can afford it.
__________________

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #14
Member
 
camplight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
Camplight,

If you could provide more information about your Ram, such as GVWR, GCWR, gear ratio, long or short bed, we can help you with a more informed opinion. In the worst case scenario, you will be well over the ability of your tow vehicle. In the best case, you will be at least right at and probably slightly over your limits.

KS is pretty flat and you are not planning any long trips (that may well change once you have it and start to enjoy it), so that will make it a little easier to be towing at capacity. If you have P-Metric tires, I would certainly be upgrading to LT tires. Don't skimp on a brake controller. I would suggest the Prodigy P2 or P3 by Tekonsha or the G2 by Hayes. If you have a short bed, you will not be able to make a sharp turn without the fifth wheel cap striking the cab. I would normally recommend an automatic slider (what I have), but the the SuperGlide is very heavy and as you are close to or over your GVWR, you might be better suited to select a manual slider or a Sidewinder pin box.

Do you currently have another camper and this consideration is an upgrade or are you completely new to this? I assume that because you are considering a bunkhouse model, you have children. Camping is certainly a great family experience and a memory and bond creator, so I encourage you to find a way to make it work, but safely. If not with this model, there are certainly many options out there within the capability of you Ram. Good Luck!

Glenn

**EDIT**: Camplight, you answered many of the questions while I was reading, typing and responding, so never mind.
Here are the details I have found for my TV and 5th Wheel....
TV: GVWR=6700, Payload=1388, Curb Wt=5233, GCWR=14000, GTWR 8600, Curb weight front / rear axle=3090/3090, GAWR front / rear axle=3900/3900. 5.7 hemi, 2005 dodge ram qc 1500, tow package, 17" wheels, 4x4. No extra additions, stock.

5th Wheel:
Hitch wt=1089, Axle wt=5415, Unit dry wt=6504, GVWR=8089, fresh water=42, grey water=60, black water=30

Looks like to me reviewing the numbers, this is possible in a safe manner. Others want to weigh in on this.

EDIT-Yes we are a young family and first timers. I have hauled trailers and equipment before in various jobs with many different TV's. I just have not pulled a 5th wheel. I have a 5yr, 15 mo and 5 mo old children. We love the outdoors and camp in tents in our back yard, out at the river and my daughter is always asking to go. I am 32 and want to build so lasting memories with my family.
__________________
camplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,370
So your payload of 1388 - the trailer pin weight at min 1089 (which will be low as that is dry weight and does not include batteries or 2x 30lb propane cylinders etc)= 299lbs minus truck fuel which if memory serves me is 25 gal@6lbs per gallon = 150lbs so now you have 149lbs for passengers and any cargo you have. Better rethink your decision IMHO, unless you are not interested in what Dodge has rated your truck for.
__________________
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by camplight View Post
Does anyone have a good feel for the price for this 2006 Rockwood by Forest River 30 ft. Signature Ultra light Fifth Wheel? They are asking $18900, but I feel from research and price comparison, this is too much. I have seen others in the $15K-$16K range. This one is appealing to me because it is 45 miles from my home town and others online are states away.

Thoughts?

Here is the NADA link to 2006 Rockwoods value. LINK
You need to go down and find Signature Ultra Lita nd select your model.
All I see is a 31ft and thend it drops to 27ft models.
At least you can get an idea what it is worth.

Good luck
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Glenn5995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by camplight View Post
...TV: GVWR=6700, Payload=1388, Curb Wt=5233, GCWR=14000, GTWR 8600, Curb weight front / rear axle=3090/3090, GAWR front / rear axle=3900/3900. 5.7 hemi, 2005 dodge ram qc 1500, tow package, 17" wheels, 4x4. No extra additions, stock...

I think something is off there. The 1388 payload seems low. Just subtracting the 5233 curb weight from the 6700 GVWR would leave 1467 for payload. If you call a Dodge Dealership with your VIN, they can give you the exact specs for your vehicle.

I am about to leave town for the day. I'll check back in when I return. Good luck!
__________________

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,201
With the price of fuel going up, trailer sales will probably slump again the way they did a few years back when fuel prices went to $4.00 a gallon. Look the unit over really good, REALLY GOOD, and if you like it offer the $15K. You can always increase your offer.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St. Clair Shores, MI
Posts: 82
I have this same model too, 8281SS, except a 2007 model year (not much difference, if any). We bought ours brand new, in 2009, from a local RV dealer for $15K. Granted he was taking a loss on it just to get rid of it for newer inventory, but I think $15K for a used 2006 is more than fair. Like another poster had mentioned, go with a lower offer and you can always increase if you don't want to pass it up.

I can tell you that having used ours for 2 full seasons so far, we are completely happy and satisfied with this model. The floor plan works great for my wife, 2 young daughters and myself. Not sure what to tell you regarding the towing issue as I have a 3/4 ton diesel. I have spoke with others that tow this trailer and similar using 1/2 tons and they admitted to pushing the limits. Not so bad on short flat trips, but agreed that it's not possible on longer or hilly terrain. Good luck with your choice!
__________________
E.S.P.

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,283
Don't worry about towing that camper with your truck.
Those who insist you can't do it are not taking into consideration how short your trips will be. You'll be fine, just don't throw too much extra stuff into the back of the truck!
__________________

__________________
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.