Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #1

Dealer didn't know what an Equalizer hitch was???

My new camper is here!!! I called the dealer and asked to make sure they ordered an Equalizer brand WD/Sway hitch. They said well we have an EZLift one. I said no that is NOT what I asked for and he asks me what the difference is... I am at this point getting a little bit worried since it was the TECH that asked me. I really don't want to have to go crazy woman on these folks! Luckily there is another dealer 8 miles from them that sells Equalizers and has one in stock if they screwed up the order!
melissa16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Always Learning

Go crazy woman. I got talked about of a name brand for stabilizers and have been left wondering if I would have been happier with the name brand that I wanted. (Possibly not, but it's hard to say. )
Old 11-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #3

A few pieces of un-asked-for advice. First, get the 4 point, not the E2 2 point. Second, I'd recommend ordering it online. Most dealers will charge more than $700 for the 1K/10K version. You can order it online for just over $500. Third, DO NOT let the first dealer set it up. If they don't even know what it is, they will likely NOT adjust it correctly, possible leading to a dangerous town situation.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #4

Walk softly, but use the big stick if need be.
Never settle for what the dealer says is "just as good".
Old 11-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

oh no they WILL be getting the correct hitch I also refuse to pay extra for the hitch over what they quoted me. I flat told them when I placed the order that I had been quoted $750 by my normal repair folks and they showed me the price right in their catalog. The dealer budgeted $450 for the hitch which is when I got REAL specific! If nothing else I will be stopping at the dealer 8 miles away and having a hitch installed which the dealer selling my camper to me will pay for. I had read another post where this exact same thing happened to another person so I have been very cautious! Glad I did my research on here!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Site Team

i had my Equal-i-zer shipped to me, from RVW. i took it with us when we went to pick up our new trailer. the dealer sold Reese WDH's, not Equal-i-zers, but they installed it for free, since we bought the trailer from them.
i had already installed the Prodigy brake controller before i left.

you really should consider buying the WDH from RVW and have the dealer install it as part of the deal, IF the dealer charges too much for the Equal-i-zer.

right now, RVW charges about $450 with free shipping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #7

The best advice I can give you is to download the manual for whatever hitch you order and become familiar with how to set it up BEFORE you get it. That way you know what it is they're doing wrong when you pick up the trailer....and I've seen some really bad setups leave the lot.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
A few pieces of un-asked-for advice. First, get the 4 point, not the E2 2 point. Second, I'd recommend ordering it online. Most dealers will charge more than $700 for the 1K/10K version. You can order it online for just over $500. Third, DO NOT let the first dealer set it up. If they don't even know what it is, they will likely NOT adjust it correctly, possible leading to a dangerous town situation.
Nothing wrong with the E2 2 point if you don't have a very heavy rig. Before my 5er I had a Passport by Keystone (3,500 lbs. advertised dry weight) and the E2 was great and I towed it over 4,000 miles. Never once did I experience uncomfortable sway from passing semis or high winds. I'm not sure at what weight I would go with the 4 point, but probably at something greater that 6 or 7K. Never had to make that decision.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
Nothing wrong with the E2 2 point if you don't have a very heavy rig. Before my 5er I had a Passport by Keystone (3,500 lbs. advertised dry weight) and the E2 was great and I towed it over 4,000 miles. Never once did I experience uncomfortable sway from passing semis or high winds. I'm not sure at what weight I would go with the 4 point, but probably at something greater that 6 or 7K. Never had to make that decision.
If the 2 point worked well for you, just imagine how great the 4 point would have been!!! Seriously, though- you may well be right about that. But if it's worked into the deal, why not push them on the better 4 point setup? Most dealers charge more for the 2 point that what you can get the 4 point delivered for from RVW.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
You're right. Always work the hitch into the RV purchase. When I moved up to my 5er I did the same thing and got a top of the line slider hitch for half the price that I could have bought it any place else.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #11

I specifically wanted to go with the 4 pt since we are moving to a heavier longer trailer at 7,600 dry and 9,600 loaded 34 ft long. I am going to pick up the TT and have the hitch installed on the 20th so we shall see how it goes
Old 11-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #12

Sounds like you have a good handle on things. Upload some pictures after you take delivery. Congratulations!!!

Tags
dealer, equalizer, hitch