Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #1

Dealer installed hitch VS U-haul installed...

Hey all....

New member here. My wife and I are buying a new 2018 Coachman Chaparral 392 MBL this week....just working out the final details with the detail...We've shopped for MONTHS and decide this was the best fit...

So, this is my first 5ver....We are selling the Jayco Jay Flight Swift 264BH Bumper pull we bought back in 2013 to upgrade to the Coachman.

So, now for the question....I have a 2016 Dodge RAM 2500 Cummins 6.4 Bed. I've already learned that an auto slider hitch is a MUST and airbags for comfort will be added soon, however, The dealer wants $2200 for a Pull-Right 16K hitch installed. U haul nearby is willing to install the CURT version of the Pull-right for about half that.

So, my question...is it best to fork out the extra cash and have the dealer install the Pull-Right or is the CURT a perfectly acceptable hitch for half the cost installed?

Thank in advance to you all....
RepublicanDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #2

Why is a slider a must? I've been towing a fifth wheel for almost twenty years with a fixed Reese hitch and 6'-8" box. Every fifth wheel I've seen has the extended pin box for short beds.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

I agree that a slider is not a "must", but it will give you some peace of mind. You know...just in case. As for brand and dealer, I have a Curt Q20 manual slider, and have had no issues in my short bed F-250. I have never "needed" to use it, but do use it occasionally just to keep in practice with it.

So my short answer is, save some money and go with the Curt.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascon View Post
Why is a slider a must? I've been towing a fifth wheel for almost twenty years with a fixed Reese hitch and 6'-8" box. Every fifth wheel I've seen has the extended pin box for short beds.
VERY interesting. The reason I thought a auto slide was a must is from the advice of a friend. He's got a shrotbed (6'4" like mine) and said he's got a manual slider that has saved him damage to his truck from tight turns several times, but it's been a pain to get out and manually release the slider and then rengage it each time.

But with your shortbed you've never been near causing damage to your truck from a tight near 90 degree turn?

Sorry for my naivety. I'm just learning about all this 5ver hitch stuff....
Old 04-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
WFD

Does the Coachman not come with the Reese Revolution pin box? I have the 6 1/2 ft box in the GM line...have for 5 yrs now and never needed to activate my slider hitch ever...and I have made some very tight maneuvers...do you have to watch it? You bet!
If the Coachman has the Reese Revolution, engage that instead and scrap the slider hitch
Old 04-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Does the Coachman not come with the Reese Revolution pin box? I have the 6 1/2 ft box in the GM line...have for 5 yrs now and never needed to activate my slider hitch ever...and I have made some very tight maneuvers...do you have to watch it? You bet!
If the Coachman has the Reese Revolution, engage that instead and scrap the slider hitch
That Would be SUPER! I'm hunting online to see if this model comes with the Reese Revolution pin box. I'll let you know what I find, but THANK YOU for the info!

Well, I've not been able to find anything other than "Turn-Tec Engineering (Combines an Aggressive Frame & Cap Design to Achieve The Industry'S Best Turning Radius by a Short Bed Truck". But unfortunately, that doesn't really say much. I'll call FR tomorrow and find out more info...Thanks again!
Old 04-23-2017, 10:20 PM   #7
WFD

If you have the Reese Revolution, you will be good...in fact because the Revolution pushes the pivot point back 22 inches, it is not recommended to use a slider.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #8

Curt Hitch

Have hauled for many years with a short box GMC with a U-Haul 5th wheel hitch, no slider, and am just careful when I backup or turn to almost 90 degrees. U-Haul did a great job and also installed the tow hitch on our Pontiac Torrent. Great workmanship.
mcmilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
If you have the Reese Revolution, you will be good...in fact because the Revolution pushes the pivot point back 22 inches, it is not recommended to use a slider.
I was just able to confirm that it is the Reese Revolution Kingpin on this rig. So this is perfect. Thank you so much!.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmilia View Post
Have hauled for many years with a short box GMC with a U-Haul 5th wheel hitch, no slider, and am just careful when I backup or turn to almost 90 degrees. U-Haul did a great job and also installed the tow hitch on our Pontiac Torrent. Great workmanship.
That is great news! Funny thing is my salesperson even mention using Uhaul. Thank you very much for your input.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #11

Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread, if I am will the mods please delete this. I'm trying to educate myself on 5th wheel hitch setups too. Are there great differences in a 5th wheel hitch by brand, like others say there is with WDH setups?
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #12

Check the warranty I believe that Uhaul has a life time warranty
nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #13

Curt doesn't make a version of the Pull Rite. Curt makes a manual slide. Pull rite is automatic. You can buy a Pull Rite 16k online for under $800. The necessary rails and mounting kit will be around $300.00 again online. Labor to install all this will be around $250-300.00. That all adds up to $1400.00. Looks like someone is trying to make a pretty handsome profit. A non-slider hitch will cost about $3-400.00 less installed.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread, if I am will the mods please delete this. I'm trying to educate myself on 5th wheel hitch setups too. Are there great differences in a 5th wheel hitch by brand, like others say there is with WDH setups?
I'm new to this too, but from what I've heard from others and what I've read online, you can't go wrong with one of the top three makers you're good....

Here's a link to some info I read that really helped me understand some of this...

Choosing the Best Fifth Wheel Hitch 2017 – Hitch Review
Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepublicanDaddy View Post
I'm new to this too, but from what I've heard from others and what I've read online, you can't go wrong with one of the top three makers you're good....

Here's a link to some info I read that really helped me understand some of this...

Choosing the Best Fifth Wheel Hitch 2017 – Hitch Review
Thanks!
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #16
WFD

Quote:
I was just able to confirm that it is the Reese Revolution Kingpin on this rig. So this is perfect. Thank you so much!.
So now that you know you have the Reese Revolution...if it's your intention to activate it, I would suggest you get the proper wedge. The generic wedge that comes with the trailer often doesn't work very well. I purchased the Curt Q16 hitch and bought the custom wedge from Curt at the same time. Too many stories of people having some difficulty with the generic wedge Reese sends with the trailer.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #17

so i have the gasser version of your truck with a curt 16k slider. I don't need the slider, except when i am hitched up and need to get in the basement. the stupid rounded edge on the back of the tailgate is all that keeps me from opening my door behind there for storage.

So now, when I need in there, i pull the lever on the slider, pull forward and open the garage. do my business and reverse.

forgot to mention, i dont have one of the cool Reese revolution pin boxes and that i back up at over 90 degrees as I live on the city on a narrow street and park in my driveway
Old 04-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
so i have the gasser version of your truck with a curt 16k slider. I don't need the slider, except when i am hitched up and need to get in the basement. the stupid rounded edge on the back of the tailgate is all that keeps me from opening my door behind there for storage.

So now, when I need in there, i pull the lever on the slider, pull forward and open the garage. do my business and reverse.

forgot to mention, i dont have one of the cool Reese revolution pin boxes and that i back up at over 90 degrees as I live on the city on a narrow street and park in my driveway
Ok....so I called Joe Schueneman, listed as the primary contact from Coachmen on their website for Service Representative information. I asked him if I had a my truck (described it to him) did the "Turn-Tec Engineering" mean that I would not need a slider hitch to make a 90 degree angled turn with the tuck hitting 90 degrees from the center axis of the truck.

His reply....Absolutely. "We" designed it so that ANY short bed truck with a bed of 6 feet or longer can use a fixed hitch and make the 90 angle between truck and coach and still clear the cab of the truck. He said there is no need to have a slider for this purpose....

Forgot to mention...I went to the dealer...the King Pin on this rig IS Reese, but NOT Reese Revolution....FYI.

DONE! U-haul install and a fixed hitch....just saved myself $1500+ over the dealer's install and recommended hitch.

I will probably spend the extra couple hundred bucks for the manual slider for the convenience that Mountndream mentioned, but saves a ton of money anyway....

Thanks EVERYBODY!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #19
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:

I will probably spend the extra couple hundred bucks for the manual slider for the convenience that Mountndream mentioned, but saves a ton of money anyway....

Thanks EVERYBODY!
Don't forget peace of mind. As I said, I have not HAD to use mine yet, but I feel just a little better knowing it's back there. It is a manual, but not difficult to use. Well, not overly difficult. Except when I have neglected it and it gets a little sticky.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, hitch, led