Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
Dealing with Trucks

Hey all --

Just bought a new Salem Cruise Lite 26 BHXL. I have only towed pop-ups previously. I have weight distribution and sway control, but while driving home (during rush hour), I experienced the effect of wind gusts from semi trucks whizzing by on the left. It causes a little sway, which quickly goes away.

How long does it take to get used to the suction and release, and the little wiggle the trailer gets from it?

Any advice on what to do about trucks? So far I have come up with 1) watch the mirrors, 2) get some experience

Brian from SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new trailer.

I experienced the same when I used a wd hitch and a friction sway bar. You may be able to adjust the hitch some and/or tighten the sway bar a little. There's not much else you can do.
About 2 or 3 years ago I bought an Equal-i-zer 4 Point Sway Control hitch. This hitch has the sway control built in and works very well. I rarely feel the semi's when they pass.
Good luck and Happy Camping.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Site Team
It comes with the territory IMO.
I get some "push over" when someone passes me.
It seems worse when I'm passed by an SUV rather than a big ole semi.
(Are semi's with their new pointy front ends actually more aerodynamic than
a big SUV?)

Like you mentioned, watch your mirrors so you aren't caught by surprise.
Also wind speed and direction is a factor. If the prevailing wind is a cross
wind from left to right and your being passed by traffic on your left it
exaggerates this push over.
If I'm on a big highway I try to stay nearer the right side. Just a couple
more feet of separation between me and the passing traffic also seems to help.
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
I'm always a bit nervous the first few minutes of a trip, especially when I first get on the interstate. Once you get passed a couple times you learn what to expect and the nervousness will go away. You should never completely relax when you're towing though. Being alert is the best offense any situation. Like KyDan said, always keep an eye on your mirrors so you're not surprised by passing vehicles.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Another thing to look at is the tire pressure in your trl tires. If the press is even a bit low this will amplify the wind push of trucks passing you.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Tow vehicle can also made a difference. Check your TV tire ratings and get some weights. If your TV tires are "P" metrics changing them to an LT could help. Soft tire sidewalls is not good for towing.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
I also get "sucked" in by the semis. But I don't get much, if any at all sway or wiggle.

Make sure your WDH is setup correctly. I thought my system worked pretty good coming back from the dealer. But the dealer had only added about 40 lbs. of my missing 200 lbs. back onto the front axle, and they did not have my dual cams setup properly. After much adjusting and tweaking, I now have the system operating at maximum efficiency. Do the fender measurements as outlined in your WDH instruction manual, and do some weigh-ins with and without your trailer to make sure your WDH is setup correctly.

The "sucking in" feeling that we feel is actually from the bow wave of the truck "pushing" the back of your trailer away from the truck as it approaches. As the back of the trailer is pushed away, it makes the tongue go towards the approaching truck, and in turn takes your TV with it in that direction. Riding a little towards the outside of your lane, along with being prepared for a slight steering wheel correction should be all that is needed to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
I just switched from Bias Ply tires that were from the factory to Radial Tires and I notice improved ride and less sway when passed by a truck. I have an Equalizer hitch and I would get just a slight sway when passed by a big rig and now with the new tires even that has been greatly reduced.
Dan, Kelly and Maddy.
Cupid and Kandi the Camp Dogs
Tomball, Texas
2006 Salem LE2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost Supercrew w/ factory tow package
Danielflading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
The best answer is a "Hensley Hitch", google it and watch the video, it really works, not just "Hensley hipe", absolutely no sway. Very expensive, but used units are available in the Classified section of this Forum. The price is an investment, good for a lifetime, Hensley will exchange brackets and components as you change trucks and trailers. Plus, you hook the hitch on a rock and bend or damage the unit, it is repaired, no charge, by Hensley, you pay only the shipping. You can even buy the lifetime insurance/warranty on a used unit.Call Hensley and talk to Terry, you will be impressed.
Ken & Judy
2012 Prime Time Lacrosse 301RLS
2014 Ford F-150 Lariat - Max. Tow - Ecoboost
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
I also get that "sucked in" feeling when a semi passes me. Tour buses are worse. A lot of times they are going much faster than I am. Plus they move a lot of air. The newer aerodynamic semis don't seem to affect me as much. I check my mirrors and prepare for them.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote

semi trucks, sway, wind