Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #1

Dealing with Trucks

Hey all --

Just bought a new Salem Cruise Lite 26 BHXL. I have only towed pop-ups previously. I have weight distribution and sway control, but while driving home (during rush hour), I experienced the effect of wind gusts from semi trucks whizzing by on the left. It causes a little sway, which quickly goes away.

How long does it take to get used to the suction and release, and the little wiggle the trailer gets from it?

Any advice on what to do about trucks? So far I have come up with 1) watch the mirrors, 2) get some experience

Thanks!
Brian from SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:46 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new trailer.

I experienced the same when I used a wd hitch and a friction sway bar. You may be able to adjust the hitch some and/or tighten the sway bar a little. There's not much else you can do.
About 2 or 3 years ago I bought an Equal-i-zer 4 Point Sway Control hitch. This hitch has the sway control built in and works very well. I rarely feel the semi's when they pass.
Good luck and Happy Camping.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Site Team

It comes with the territory IMO.
I get some "push over" when someone passes me.
It seems worse when I'm passed by an SUV rather than a big ole semi.
(Are semi's with their new pointy front ends actually more aerodynamic than
a big SUV?)

Like you mentioned, watch your mirrors so you aren't caught by surprise.
Also wind speed and direction is a factor. If the prevailing wind is a cross
wind from left to right and your being passed by traffic on your left it
exaggerates this push over.
If I'm on a big highway I try to stay nearer the right side. Just a couple
more feet of separation between me and the passing traffic also seems to help.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #4

I'm always a bit nervous the first few minutes of a trip, especially when I first get on the interstate. Once you get passed a couple times you learn what to expect and the nervousness will go away. You should never completely relax when you're towing though. Being alert is the best offense any situation. Like KyDan said, always keep an eye on your mirrors so you're not surprised by passing vehicles.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #5

Another thing to look at is the tire pressure in your trl tires. If the press is even a bit low this will amplify the wind push of trucks passing you.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #6

Tow vehicle can also made a difference. Check your TV tire ratings and get some weights. If your TV tires are "P" metrics changing them to an LT could help. Soft tire sidewalls is not good for towing.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I also get "sucked" in by the semis. But I don't get much, if any at all sway or wiggle.

Make sure your WDH is setup correctly. I thought my system worked pretty good coming back from the dealer. But the dealer had only added about 40 lbs. of my missing 200 lbs. back onto the front axle, and they did not have my dual cams setup properly. After much adjusting and tweaking, I now have the system operating at maximum efficiency. Do the fender measurements as outlined in your WDH instruction manual, and do some weigh-ins with and without your trailer to make sure your WDH is setup correctly.

The "sucking in" feeling that we feel is actually from the bow wave of the truck "pushing" the back of your trailer away from the truck as it approaches. As the back of the trailer is pushed away, it makes the tongue go towards the approaching truck, and in turn takes your TV with it in that direction. Riding a little towards the outside of your lane, along with being prepared for a slight steering wheel correction should be all that is needed to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #8

I just switched from Bias Ply tires that were from the factory to Radial Tires and I notice improved ride and less sway when passed by a truck. I have an Equalizer hitch and I would get just a slight sway when passed by a big rig and now with the new tires even that has been greatly reduced.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #9

The best answer is a "Hensley Hitch", google it and watch the video, it really works, not just "Hensley hipe", absolutely no sway. Very expensive, but used units are available in the Classified section of this Forum. The price is an investment, good for a lifetime, Hensley will exchange brackets and components as you change trucks and trailers. Plus, you hook the hitch on a rock and bend or damage the unit, it is repaired, no charge, by Hensley, you pay only the shipping. You can even buy the lifetime insurance/warranty on a used unit.Call Hensley and talk to Terry, you will be impressed.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #10

I also get that "sucked in" feeling when a semi passes me. Tour buses are worse. A lot of times they are going much faster than I am. Plus they move a lot of air. The newer aerodynamic semis don't seem to affect me as much. I check my mirrors and prepare for them.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Does the size of the trailer factor into this? I have a smaller size (20ft) and I have never felt simi trucks passing even while using a Yukon to tow with.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Does the size of the trailer factor into this? I have a smaller size (20ft) and I have never felt simi trucks passing even while using a Yukon to tow with.
I would say yes.

But, I could even feel the tug some when I was pulling my fold down Trailmanor......but not near as much as my present 29 footer.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #13

When we had our TT we experienced the same thing when being passed by big trucks.
My step father gave me some pretty good advice.
He told me to half open two rear windows, one on each side.
Well I hated to admit it but it worked. No more trailer sway when a tractor trailer went by.

I’m no physics major but I guess it has something to do with equalizing the pressure.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
Brigitte

Happy to say we aren't feeling that! It would make me more nervous. We are pulling 25.6
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #15

Run the same speed as traffic and it won't be near as bad. Have you ever heard the expression " Getting your doors blown off"?
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
Run the same speed as traffic and it won't be near as bad. Have you ever heard the expression " Getting your doors blown off"?
Just because the passing lane traffic is running 80, does not mean that I have to. If they want to drive that way, so be it, but this old boy is will be sitting in the right lane doing the speed limit, and dealing with a slight tug when the trucks pas....no big deal.

Besides, trailer ST tires are rated at a maximum of 65 miles per hour.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #17

I tow with a 3500 Dodge Ram and an Equalizer hitch there is no suction and I don't feel like I'm getting pushed when semi's pass. I guess size makes a difference

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I would say yes.

But, I could even feel the tug some when I was pulling my fold down Trailmanor......but not near as much as my present 29 footer.
I would agree yes. My last trailer was a 20' and i used no sway or weight dist. just a ball. Never ever had any sway,push,pull anything.
Idle_Idylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #19

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
If it continues to bother you...do as the recent post noted. Get a Hensley Arrow or a Pro Pride 3P. I mention both because I dont want the thread to turn into witch is better, they are both good ! I have the Hensley Arrow and you'll experience "NO" sway what so ever! Even the little twitch from trucks passing that you talk about! I had a Equalizer 4PT Hitch before and loved it ! Purchased the Hensley ...NIGHT AND DAY..with the Hensley Arrow you experience "NO SWAY" and you'll even forget your pulling a camper its that much better ! It IS worth every penny they charge for it around $2800, but you can't really put a price on your comfort level towing and the safety it brings. Right after purchasing the Hensley Arrow, we ran into an emergency situation that resulted in me having at 64mph to jerk the wheel to the left almost all the way, then back to the right, then straight again. I know if I had the Equalizer on we would have jack-knifed the camper and most likely rolled it. With the Hensley our 35' camper just followed the TV as if it were one. At the time I completely forgot I was pulling the camper, I just need to get out of the way ! Quick ! Even the State-Police couldn't believe the camper stayed up right! They even took a picture of the hitch! Anyway if it continues to cause problems purchase a Hensley Arrow you won't be sorry you did ! - Dave k.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #20
President ProPride, Inc.

I won't get into which hitch, the ProPride 3P or the Hensley Arrow, is better either. It is fairly obvious if you do some research and speak to customers who have owned both hitches.

I'll just explain WHY they both work. They move the effective pivot point of the trailer forward to near the rear axle of the tow vehicle. This eliminates the leverage that the trailer has on the tow vehicle.

With the conventional hitch designs the pivot point is at a distance behind the rear axle. This distance provides a lever arm for the trailer to act on the tow vehicle when the truck passes. Once that leverage is felt most people will attempt to correct it by steering the tow vehicle in the opposite direction. Of course, this changes the direction of the trailer and the leverage then is applied to the tow vehicle in the other direction. That said, it is best to NOT correct, or correct as little as possible, when passed.
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
semi trucks, sway, wind