Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #21

Thanks for all of the feedback.
Ram has been gaining market share very quickly since the redesigns. They hands down have the best interiors out if all of them IMO and best features for the price. For example a Bighorn would be similar to an XLT I assume. Features it has over an XLT is quite a bit. Both have heated seats, but ram has heated wheel, garage openers, dual climate control with auto air (yes XLT doesn't have this!). More "smart" storage options, etc.

The ram rides better than the 250 for sure, some have said the Chevy rides the best yet. I will probably at least drive one before I make a decision.

It sounds like, and reading the ramforum the 6 speed would do well for my size. We have tossed around a 5th wheel but that would be way down the road, if ever. We really like our Rockwood and have yet to find something that would work better. And I look a lot.
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #22

I'm very happy with my 2014 ram 1500. I only have the. 5.7 hemi but it had no problems towing my 8k# rig last summer through the sawtooth mountains in Idaho. 5 mile stretches of 9% grade. You getting a 2500 will solve all your stability issues. If you can afford getting a 2019, do it!
cpslim2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
If you're looking at new and you're contemplating the future, then the 3/4-ton vs 1-ton trade-off should also be part of the decision.

There are certain states/locations where a 1-ton is more expensive to register, license, and insure. So, know those laws, as some can really make it tough to buy/own a 1-ton ... and it's an easier choice to grab a 3/4-ton.

Assuming that you don't have to deal with any government penalties on the 1-ton, then it's worth looking at the two. I don't have experience with Ram, but I'd expect the big 3 would all be directionally similar to the pricing schemes.

F-250, Lariat, 4WD, Crew, 6-3/4 bed, 6.2 L gas, 4.30 locking axle, FX4, Camper pkg, Value pkg, Tow Technology pkg, running boards, upfitter switches, navigation system: $58,755 MSRP

F-350, everything else the same: $59,930 MSRP

So, for a gasoline truck, the difference between 3/4-ton and 1-ton is about $1,000. For a diesel truck, the difference between 3/4-ton with heavy duty tow package (not available with gas) and 1-ton is about $50.

Again, that's Ford. I think the other two are in that same range.

Good luck.

Can't agree with this enough. Worst mistake I ever made was buying a 2500 instead of a 3500 single rear wheel truck. Yes, mine is diesel and 4wd. That means very limited payload numbers. I would love to upgrade our trailer, but what I want would put us way over the limits on this truck. Unloaded, the 2500 and 3500 ride exactly the same. They look the same, and drive exactly the same. I didn't know any better at the time, but I really regret having a 2500 and not a 3500.

Just something to consider.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzerarc View Post

Ram has been gaining market share very quickly since the redesigns. They hands down have the best interiors out if all of them IMO and best features for the price. For example a Bighorn would be similar to an XLT I assume. Features it has over an XLT is quite a bit. Both have heated seats, but ram has heated wheel, garage openers, dual climate control with auto air (yes XLT doesn't have this!). More "smart" storage options, etc.

The ram rides better than the 250 for sure, some have said the Chevy rides the best yet. I will probably at least drive one before I make a decision.

It sounds like, and reading the ramforum the 6 speed would do well for my size. We have tossed around a 5th wheel but that would be way down the road, if ever. We really like our Rockwood and have yet to find something that would work better. And I look a lot.

Buy what you like, I like Silverado but I’m not making your truck payment
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
personally id wait for the 19 (if your getting a Ram), as it is gonna have the 8 speed tranny. The 6 speed in the ram is not good IMHO. I had a 2016 that I bought new, and the tranny was part of the reason I traded for a diesel. Very stable truck, absolutely great performing motor. The Gap between first and second in the 6 speed is known for raring its ugly head in certain situations when above a certain weight. It will scream its guts out in first, and then when it shifts to second because the gap is large, power out and downshift back to first. With 7600 pounds, this will probably not eve be an issue,but with the 10K trailer I pulled with it it certainly was. If you are sold on a prior year, please try to find one with the 4:10 and not the 3:73, supposedly the 3:73 helps a lot.
BTW, I went through the exact scenario as you, pulled with an f150 ecoboost.. was right at my payloads and had a little sway issue. Felt I could buy a better hitch and overcome sway issue, but would have still been riding at the limits, that why I initially upgraded to the 2500 Ram. You are making a smart choice by upgrading if you are at your limits as you say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Last year in April bough a 2018 2500 CC LB 4x4 6.4 Hemi Tradesman with the chrome and power packages as well as the 5th wheel prep, spray in bed liner, 4.10 gears and snow chef options and got a hair under $8,000 off MSRP. Traded in a 2012 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 ST 6.7 diesel and got almost high book.
I tow 9300 lbs and have a door sticker CCC of 2907 lbs.
If it were me I'd wait for the new 8 sp thats coming out. The 18 6 sp can be quirky at times depending on where you're towing. Around town not towing it's great. When towing and in slower curvy uphill sections the tranny drops way down in gears and the revs hit 4500+. Not that thats wrong because thats the way gassers work. But with the 8 spd my guess is that the revs won't be as much because tha gear spacing will be better. right now it goes form mild revving to wound out revving instantly.
Out on the flats I lock out 6th and cruise quietly and comfortably all day.
Agreed ^...
I haven't driven one with the 8 speed yet but I was not impressed with the current tranny ratios even with the 4.10 rear.

Advantages the Chevy has: is it doesn't require a wdh until 1500lbs tongue with the cc short box and not at all with the dc or cc long box. -Load tongue heavy and see how it goes...

The other thing is how it handles. I had a ram (liked it very much) but the handling was soft (body roll was excessive) I drove them all in 2017 and the updates in the Chevy with plow prep was a better handler with the long wheel base than either of the other two (I like to make things slide and see how it feels).

Anyway, it sounds like you like the Ram and I think its a fine truck but I would definitely wait for the 19.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #26
MCTroy

We love our 2018 Ram 2500. 6.4L gasser. It rides great with or without towing. And we just aren't fans of the new grill on the 2019.... I know that is looks only and not performance. But when buying something that expensive, you better love 100% of the truck !
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #27

I just did this experiment myself and decided at this point in my RV life I'd rather pay more for the new features of the 2019HD Ram. As some mentioned, the up charge to go 3500 is not that much if you think a larger RV is in your future.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #28
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:

I think over all you will like the Ram. As I had a 2015 2500 Chevy rides are close. I also have the rear air suspention on my Ram and it sure makes the truck ride a lot better with tt in tow. As you mentioned Ram has a lot more hidy holes You will find the 2500 will tow your tt just fine and have room to spare. Ford lacks in some option areas and brings price up fast, and sure hate the ride that's for sure. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #29

This probably doesn’t directly apply to your purchase plans but may be of interest. I just bought my wife a 1500 Ram limited for her daily driver and some limited real estate work. It is truly a luxury truck and is a dream to drive. The back seat room is great, it is very quiet and feels solid. The quality is excellent everywhere I look. She saw this truck at the Builders Show in Las Vegas and wanted it to replace her MB suv. It has a 1900 lb payload but that’s not of much interest for our application. Lots of phone chargers including one for the induction models and U-connect even with a built in WIFI hotspot. The list of gadgets is huge. So I think you would be happy with what you are planning on. I already have a 2500 and 3500 Diesel ones I have had for years.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #30

2500?

While my Ram is a little older, I went through the 2500 vs 3500 scenario in 2011. At the end of the day, I think I paid about an $850.00 premium to go 1 ton diesel, from 3/4 diesel. I have never regretted making the 1 ton purchase, as we did upgrade the 5er and I didn’t need to concern myself too much about weights.
BTW, back in 2011 diesel fuel was quite a bit cheaper than gas, not so much anymore! Whatever you decide, good luck!
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS. 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #31

Sweet, a truck thread. We traded a 2016 5.7 hemi half ton (i loved that truck! Like a race car i could never afford as a kid, haha) for a used 2012 3/4 ton 6.7 diesel long bed, 4x4 laramie. Had 138kmiles. Paid $26k for it. (No def). We were at or over max tow with our 1/2 ton towing our TT. What a difference in tow! Im getting a grill guard installed tomorrow. (Im tired of hitting deer!). We considered a used 1 ton option but @ $26k i could not ignore it. We wont be upgrading our TT anytime soon, so 3/4 is perfectly fine for use with a 12k towing capacity. Our TT max is 8900. BUT.... i do miss that 5.7 hemi growl! (Not towing, a romp at 70 will put you at 90 VERY quickly!) meh, my 6.7 cummins is a towing monster. Im ok letting go of my youthful lust for good tow! Thanks for posting. Ive had my (new to me) truck for about 15 days now. Yes, i bought an extended 100k/5yr warranty to go with it.

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #32

Quote:
We have landed on trading in the F150 3.5 Max tow cc in on a HD truck.
Pulling our 7600 lb Rockwood TT, the 3.5 Eco pulls it very well, it is pretty unstable also. Loaded, I have about 50 lbs payload leftover. We have debated getting a 3P or Hensley hitch as well as other upgrades to the F150, but I think the HD truck is the best option.

95% sure it will be a Ram 2500, GASSER. Diesel is not an option, so may as well not even mention it.
I have test drove a F250, Ram 2500 6.4, and have not tested a GMC/Chevy 2500 yet. I am not a big fan of some of the features, or lack there of on the GM trucks compared to the other 2.

The Ram was by far my favorite over the Ford, both in features and unloaded ride quality. IT also doesn't feel as "big" which it isn't.

So I am starting to look around at Ram 2500 cc 6.4, and am considering lighting used or new 2018. Dealers around here have pretty good deals on new ones (starting 10k off) so it makes them pretty close to a lightly used '16/17 model.

So here are my questions on your opinion.
The new 2019 Rams are starting to show up on lots. I like the Laramie trim, however a new 2019 is more than what I would want to spend. However the Bighorn trim, which gets most of the features I would, would fit in. I can always add Katskin leather and basically have the Laramie.

My thoughts on a 2019 is the interior changes (for the better, my wife likes the fact it as more cupholders!) but more importantly the 8 speed transmission. I think that would be better for towing and daily driving.

However I can get a new 2018 Laramie for less than a 2019 Bighorn.

I can also get a lightly used (sub 30k miles) Laramies for low $40s, cheapest yet.

So to sum it up, anyone have any thoughts on the 8 speed tranny or going with the tried and true 2018 with the 6 speed?

Gotta be doin' something wrong.

My 2014 F-150 King Ranch is MORE than enough for my Puma 27RLSS, grossed out to around 7500.

Up and down the Rockies, dirt roads and 8-lane freeways, live in the Ozarks (if you want snakey roads.....up and down).

As a Certified Safety Professional, I feel confident and safe.........and know what kind of conditions NOT to drive in.

I also seldom exceed 65mph, and have a soft touch on the TBController.

Got back from the Gulf a few weeks ago..........4800 miles without as much as a hiccup.

But, if you REEEEEELY want something newer, get a 9000 lb tow package on a new Expedition.

You'll like it better.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:28 PM   #33

Replacement truck

I agree with your first sentence. I don’t know what field of safety you work in but I am a certified truck mechanic for over 50 years in my own business. You cannot compare an F150 to a 2500 Ram. The Ram has bigger axles, brakes, a better transmission and the list goes on. As for an Expidition it is just a half ton with a body. The problem with all those SUVs is the cargo you haul is always in the passenger compartment, including gas cans, trash or other items. They are not directly comparable. I don’t why you think he would like it better. He wasn’t asking about half tons, he wants to go bigger and that is a good choice and is the focus of his request. Which is 2018 or 2019. Not how you know how to drive you little truck.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
I agree with your first sentence. I don’t know what field of safety you work in but I am a certified truck mechanic for over 50 years in my own business. You cannot compare an F150 to a 2500 Ram. The Ram has bigger axles, brakes, a better transmission and the list goes on. As for an Expidition it is just a half ton with a body. The problem with all those SUVs is the cargo you haul is always in the passenger compartment, including gas cans, trash or other items. They are not directly comparable. I don’t why you think he would like it better. He wasn’t asking about half tons, he wants to go bigger and that is a good choice and is the focus of his request. Which is 2018 or 2019. Not how you know how to drive you little truck.
x2
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
There is a reason ~~ Ram has only 9% of the total truck market.
Just for a laugh "Websters Dictionary definition of Dodge is TO AVOID" LOL
richardbrucewinquestjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #36
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
X 3 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #37

Do not trade the Ford. From what I have read many people on this site would love to have it. As far as gear ratio I would do some serious research about it. The more gears is designed to get better mileage. This is done by using smaller gear ratios (3.something) in the rear end. The lower gears in the transmission make up for not having 4+ gears, making them not necessary.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #38
swj

sway

to: "Picker always looking to jam" see his post on page 4,
What kind of hitch do you have? What upgrades did you do to your truck?
My 2018 F150 SCrew max tow pkg and FAstway 2 hitch still has sway...
swj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #39

I’m always been a Chevy guy, but a few years ago my wife convinced me to look at the Ram 2500. I drive the Ram 2500 6.4 back to back with the Chevy 2500 6.0. I came away with a whole new appreciation for the Ram. I ended up ordering a new 2015 Ram Laramie 6.4 loaded up with lots of goodies and the 4-10 rear end. I’ve used it to tow my 7500 lb boat all over, and now I tow my Vengeance 26FR13 toy hauler that weighs 7000 lb without the RZR in the back, so figure 8500 - 9000 loaded. The truck pulls it beautifully anywhere we want to go and is the most comfortable truck I’ve ever been in. Only issue is the fuel economy that is common for gassers... about 7-9 mpg when towing. Love the truck!
Ezgoin721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by swj View Post
to: "Picker always looking to jam" see his post on page 4,
What kind of hitch do you have? What upgrades did you do to your truck?
My 2018 F150 SCrew max tow pkg and FAstway 2 hitch still has sway...

Trailer follows like an obedient dog.

NEVER a hint of sway.

"regular" tow package

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...hoC4_cQAvD_BwE

......as to the Expedition......I base it on my 2007 Aspen limited Hemi. Pulled a 8500 lb Jayco all over hell and back, including a number of trips from Montrose to Durango and back....the Apache Trail.....even the horrifying roads in Louisiana. In the Rockies, got 11-12 mpg with 89 octane. When not pulling, it was a much more civilized vehicle than my '08 Silverado, especially with pax.

Tags