Old 11-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

DEF fill up

Well my new truck is about time for it first fill up of DEF. Will the DEF nozzle @ the truck stops fit in the small DEF opening? If not I will put it in a can then siphon it into the truck. Thought I`d ask on here before traveling 20 miles to pilot truck stop.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
bigdaddy1

Well, I have put a couple of containers of DEF in my F350 but I picked up a nozzle that fits the 2.5 gal of DEF from Ford dealer.

2016 3850RL Cardinal
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

The DEF nozzle should fit. If not Pilot sells DEF in 2.5 gal containers inside. Most PU trucks just use these instead of going thru the Diesel Lanes. Depending on how busy it is you could have to wait in line with the Big Rigs for 20 - 30 mins or more. (and listen to the few bad truckers dog you out for being back there)
Old 11-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamax View Post
The DEF nozzle should fit. If not Pilot sells DEF in 2.5 gal containers inside. Most PU trucks just use these instead of going thru the Diesel Lanes. Depending on how busy it is you could have to wait in line with the Big Rigs for 20 - 30 mins or more. (and listen to the few bad truckers dog you out for being back there)
I hear you on that , Wait time might not be worth the cash I save .
Old 11-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #5

Don't worry about it, the pump nozzle should fit just fine. Some DEF pumps at the truck islands reportedly have a safety mechanism that require a magnetic collar on the tank to allow the nozzle to flow (which your truck almost certainly doesn't have) but I've never run into one. I don't think they are very common but if you run into one you'll have a hell of a time getting any flow. I have never used anything but the truck stop pump DEF. No different really than a normal fill up, just make sure you put it in the right place!! Never had to wait, always have driven right up to an open pump lane. I've never had the truckers give me any problems. In fact a few times they want to talk about my truck and I usually ask about theirs (I think they just want to talk to someone as they've been cooped up all day long alone). The assumption is the DEF at the pumps at truck stops is much more fresh than the stuff on the shelf inside. The urea has a shelf life if it's been stored in a warm place for a period. Likely not an issue but something to keep in mind. And the pump DEF is a bit cheaper but I don't use enough over time that it matters (if you can afford one of these 60K diesels, you can afford the 5 bucks difference in a tank fillup). I also try to fill up the diesel from the truck pumps. Much quicker and frankly the same rationale, I want the freshest fuel and that's the place you'll find it. Not the one diesel pump at the local off the beaten path filling station that you are the only truck to fill at that pump all week.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #6

The nozzles do fit. I've done it a few times now at Loves, Flying J and Pilot. Big Boys must have small nozzle also?

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #7

Also, I don't think the truckers care. If they see you in line and it is busy they will jump in right behind you because they know you won't be long at the pump compared to one of their fellow truckers.. Diesel and DEF in just a few minutes on my F250..

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote