Old 01-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

DEF System Failure

My 2015 Chevy Diesel recently had a DEF system failure. About two weeks prior to the failure I put 2 gallon of Auto Zone DEF fluid into the tank, it may have been the problem but not sure of that. The truck display came up with the message that the system needed service and gave me 98 miles until speed would be limited to 65 mph. I took it in, the dealer replaced the DEF tank as he said the heaters in the tank failed and that the only way to replace the heaters was to replace the tank. The tank was covered under the drive train warranty (80,000 miles on the truck) but the cost to test the system after replacement was not ($150.00). Anyone else had this issue?

denisgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #2

DEF System Failure

My Silverado had the msg poor quality DEF fluid. Dealer said it was something else. I had not put any DEF fluid in for two thousand miles. They had already replaced the tank under warranty. This time I didnít have any warranty left. The time the dealer replaced the tank the tank was $800 bucks plus labor. Total over a thousand bucks. Cost me $125 bucks for the tow. Was going to cost me $1300 bucks to delete all the DEF stuff and never have a DEF problem again, a no brainer. I have a deleted Silverado. Truck runs better gets a little better fuel mileage .Iím glad you got yours fixed under warranty. This was the second time I had a poor quality DEF, the first was outside of Tok Alaska but the light went out

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisgr View Post
My 2015 Chevy Diesel recently had a DEF system failure. About two weeks prior to the failure I put 2 gallon of Auto Zone DEF fluid into the tank, it may have been the problem but not sure of that. The truck display came up with the message that the system needed service and gave me 98 miles until speed would be limited to 65 mph. I took it in, the dealer replaced the DEF tank as he said the heaters in the tank failed and that the only way to replace the heaters was to replace the tank. The tank was covered under the drive train warranty (80,000 miles on the truck) but the cost to test the system after replacement was not ($150.00). Anyone else had this issue?
If the DEF was poor quality, you would have a message saying that, with the obligatory light, and it should not cause a heater issue. Just this week, I had the DEF heater in my '16 2500HD (56K miles) replaced under warranty for no cost. It sounds like you got screwed by the dealer, unless you had something else wrong that was not covered.

Chevy warranty covers the diagnosis, replacement, and testing to make sure the system is working properly. The dealer I went to said they would charge me $120 diagnosis, if it wasn't covered under the warranty (I already knew the code and problem).
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #4

My DEF heater failed last winter on my 2014 GMC 2500HD 46K. Dealer replaced heater and didn't have to replace tank. Read where the factory heaters were garbage and failing. Can't remember the replacement they put in, but it was the recommended replacement by most of the Diesel guys on the forums I got on. My extended warranty covered the cost. I only use Blue-DEF
TheWolfPaq82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #5

The dealer told me the first time it was a heater in the tank and the whole tank had to be replaced. It was covered under warranty
Old 01-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
My Silverado had the msg poor quality DEF fluid. Dealer said it was something else. I had not put any DEF fluid in for two thousand miles. They had already replaced the tank under warranty. This time I didnít have any warranty left. The time the dealer replaced the tank the tank was $800 bucks plus labor. Total over a thousand bucks. Cost me $125 bucks for the tow. Was going to cost me $1300 bucks to delete all the DEF stuff and never have a DEF problem again, a no brainer. I have a deleted Silverado. Truck runs better gets a little better fuel mileage .Iím glad you got yours fixed under warranty. This was the second time I had a poor quality DEF, the first was outside of Tok Alaska but the light went out
Thanks, I've been thinking about the delete option. Did you do the delete work yourself? If so what kit did you buy to get the parts?
denisgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisgr View Post
Thanks, I've been thinking about the delete option. Did you do the delete work yourself? If so what kit did you buy to get the parts?

Not me, I have no mechanical skills other than changing the oil
Old 01-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

The heater issue is not anything you did. It is a known issue. Had mine do the same thing a few months ago. 100% covered, even filled my Def tank. They swap out the tank for the modern version of the tank. It is the heater that melts the Def when it is cold failed to pass its internal test and throws the code. They also extended the emissions warranty to 112,000 miles for the effected years.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #9
Now a "Top Member"

And it's not just Chevy. My '11 Ford had the issue. All replaced under warranty. I don't remember if the diagnostic was covered also, but I don't remember giving any money, so it must have been.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

For me there was no diagnostic.. The code was for the heater 2 failure (or maybe heater 1). They knew right off the bat and had me back on the road in 2 hours. I'd fight that diagnostic fee..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote