Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #31
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,364
I switched from a chev avalanche to a vw touareg tdi. We just came back from a 500 mile trip and we got 14.7 miles per gal. and the difference in power is amazing no more up and down in the speed 65 mph on cruise.
__________________

__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
Just traded my '11 chevy 2500 Duramax on a '13 GMC 3500 Duramax. The truck is amazing. I'll never go back to gas as long as I'm pulling a trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3613569566.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	39484  
__________________

__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
jevanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
will post it tomorrow ..(9/6/13)

how long of a commute do you have? (9/9/13)
go to my garage and the pict is there.. also my commute is sometimes to mexico to canada and back to mexico, sometimes 5 times or more per week
__________________
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
avolnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 630
Not bad... Do I see that correctly being just over 1000 ft/lbs of torque?! It did appear that the power band would be a bit on the high side for real practical towing at those numbers but impressive any way you look at it... very nice...
__________________

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
jevanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Not bad... Do I see that correctly being just over 1000 ft/lbs of torque?! It did appear that the power band would be a bit on the high side for real practical towing at those numbers but impressive any way you look at it... very nice...
thanks ... that is on a hot tune ( 250HP) not the 25hp tow tune, I am still learning the dyno driving and should have better #`s next week after a dyno event.
__________________
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
rotorhead1250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 277
Oderus, my input.
I don't use a weight distribution hitch. Reason; I put a 800 lb quad in the bed plus fuel and water and everything else I can fit, so I installed air bags. I do run dual anti-sway bars. I borrowed a friends w/d hitch for a 1,000 trip and didn’t notice one bit of difference and handeling was the same. OK, I’ve got a truck that’s approx 2,000lbs heaver that my TT when loaded, so that does make a difference. Bottom line, no you don't need a w/d hitch, that 500 lb tongue weight isn't gona make one bit of difference to a one ton truck. Enjoy your diesel.
__________________
Matt & Kathie
2017 Grey Wolf 27RR
rotorhead1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Believe it or not my F250 has a payload of only about 1500 lbs seriously limiting my trailer choices for the future.
That's only 200 or so pounds more than the payload of a Honda Odyssey van. How's that make you feel? A little common sense and deduction would say that number is extremely.........conservative.

Oh, and I think most of the newer diesels have a hitch rated higher than 500 lbs tongue weight. You might look into that, but I think they are 600 or 800 lbs, but I'm not certain of this. My .02 is that you will likely not need a WDH in SRW, and most certainly not in a DRW.
__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
avolnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
My .02 is that you will likely not need a WDH in SRW, and most certainly not in a DRW.

A weight distribution hitch is still a wise idea of whether you have a half ton, three quarter or a one ton in a srw or dually format. Reasoning being is regardless of which format your truck is you are still lifting on the front end of the truck by putting weight behind the rear axle. This is minimized with a diesel under the hood or by having a heavier duty truck. You are still using the rear axle as a fulcrum/pivot point for the weight you are adding on the rear. A weight distribution is going to restore the weight that is being taken away from the front end of the TV.

For example I have a ram 2500. GVWR of 9,000LBS my truck with a full tank and myself is just under 7,000 LBS. This gives me roughly 2000 lbs of payload. I have camper with a tongue weight of right at 900LBS and without a weight distribution hitch my truck is VERY squirly. I would have to say I have plenty of truck to pull the trailer and hold the weight but the fact that the tongue is using the axle to leverage weight of the front end can cause some serious issues...

long story short, I would still suggest using a w/d hitch...
__________________

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southwest Wyoming
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
Oderus, my input.
I don't use a weight distribution hitch. Reason; I put a 800 lb quad in the bed plus fuel and water and everything else I can fit, so I installed air bags. I do run dual anti-sway bars. I borrowed a friends w/d hitch for a 1,000 trip and didnít notice one bit of difference and handeling was the same. OK, Iíve got a truck thatís approx 2,000lbs heaver that my TT when loaded, so that does make a difference. Bottom line, no you don't need a w/d hitch, that 500 lb tongue weight isn't gona make one bit of difference to a one ton truck. Enjoy your diesel.
I run a very similar setup and have zero issues.
__________________
2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2008 Dodge 2500 CTD

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
A weight distribution hitch is still a wise idea of whether you have a half ton, three quarter or a one ton in a srw or dually format. Reasoning being is regardless of which format your truck is you are still lifting on the front end of the truck by putting weight behind the rear axle. This is minimized with a diesel under the hood or by having a heavier duty truck. You are still using the rear axle as a fulcrum/pivot point for the weight you are adding on the rear. A weight distribution is going to restore the weight that is being taken away from the front end of the TV.

For example I have a ram 2500. GVWR of 9,000LBS my truck with a full tank and myself is just under 7,000 LBS. This gives me roughly 2000 lbs of payload. I have camper with a tongue weight of right at 900LBS and without a weight distribution hitch my truck is VERY squirly. I would have to say I have plenty of truck to pull the trailer and hold the weight but the fact that the tongue is using the axle to leverage weight of the front end can cause some serious issues...

long story short, I would still suggest using a w/d hitch...
I've pulled my 30' TT short distances with no WDH and it isn't squirrelly at all. Haven't weighed it but I estimate tongue weight at 1100-1200 pounds. This is with an F250. WDH's are used almost exclusively in the RV world- most people pulling cargo trailers, flatbeds, cattle trailers, utility trailers, etc. never use WDH's because, quite frankly, they can't. The hitch would have to be setup differently for every trailer, load combo, etc.- it would be a nightmare. With that being said, most trucks are significantly heavier in the front than in the rear. It would take a significant amount of weight to get a truck to a 50/50 axle weight ratio. I still stand by my statement that a small RV(I am assuming a 22' with 500 tongue weight, though this may be off) in no way requires a WDH with a DRW, and most likely not with a SRW 3/4 or 1 ton. I would assume much of what you feel without your WDH is sway induced by wind forces which could be alleviated from the use of a sway bar. Other factors can induce sway as well that would seem to be fixed with a WDH with integrated sway control even though it wasn't actually caused by a light front end. Tires, alignment of trailer axles, load distribution, wind conditions, and other things can affect this.
__________________

__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.