Old 04-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #1

Demco Hijacker 18k Autoslide

Hi, we just purchased our first 5th wheel, a 2014 Columbus 325rl and when we bought it the dealership recommended the Demco Hijacker 18k autoslide hitch since we have a short bed truck. Well we have a few issues and were not sure if our problems are common or just the norm for this type of hitch. First of all we can couple the 5ver to the hitch without problems however trying to uncouple the 5ver becomes a real problem. The handle will not release to uncouple the 5ver from the hitch unless I raise and lower the 5ver several times or most of the time I have to get into the truck and either move forward or backward a tiny bit and then the handle MIGHT release after a few attempts. The other issue is when I brake or accelerate we hear a pretty loud almost hair raising noise coming from the hitch itself. The hitch has a double pivot head which does rock back and forth and side to side. I have adjusted the nut and bolt that adjusts the slide bar which has not made any difference in uncoupling. So the noise we here when accelerating and braking, is that normal and does anyone have suggestions about the trouble we have when uncoupling? I don't even want to talk about the service department that installed this hitch because we are lucky to be alive today from their errors. They are also 3 hr drive away. Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I dont have your hitch but this is common with all 5th wheel hitches.
Put landing gear down.
Chock wheels.
Raise camper till 5th wheel pin plate just barely raises off hitch.
Get in truck and slightly back up into hitch.
Pull lever.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!

Old 05-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
CUZISA2

We are having very similar problems. Both with connecting and disconnect. Can't get it to lock in when connecting or unlock when disconnecting. Sounds like we had very similar service dept problem too. No help whatsoever and are 5 hours away. I'm going to contact demco to get some answers.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #4

Demco Highjacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmalm View Post
We are having very similar problems. Both with connecting and disconnect. Can't get it to lock in when connecting or unlock when disconnecting. Sounds like we had very similar service dept problem too. No help whatsoever and are 5 hours away. I'm going to contact demco to get some answers.
TURBS is correct, also what I have done was grease the slide bar which holds the pin in place and grease the handle arm real good. When I disconnect I have the wife pull on the handle while I backup to take the tension off of the pin. Usually the handle will release very easily. When connecting I make sure the 5th wheel will just barely hit the hitch when I back up into the 5th wheel and the handle will normally release and lock it self in place. Of course I make sure the slide has gone all the way across the pin. Then I will raise the front legs about 4 inches off the ground and pull forward a hair and backward a hair just to make sure the 5th wheel is locked in place. Remember to raise the front legs after that. It took some practice but we do feel comfortable with the process now. We are very cautious doing the process and are never in a hurry. Most importantly is make sure that slide bar is all the way across and the pin is where it is suppose to be before towing, good luck, hope that helps. With time it got a whole lot easier.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #5

Chock the trailer's back wheels. Now backup on the chocks and set the truck's parking brake, this should take pressure off the bar. This should give you some slack so you can pull the bar to disconnect the trailer. If you want to take some of the sloop out of the kingpin, tighten the bolt in the front of the hitch by a quarter of a turn. Know the tighter you make this the harder to pull the bar out.

I have the same hitch for the last five years, just work with it a little more and you will get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:41 AM   #6

Call Demco at 1-800-543-3626 and ask for Troy on Ext. 157 if he is on the phone when you call ask for his voicemail he will call you back. I had significant chucking issues and he walked me through what needed to be done. Worked like a charm. Also in our discussions we determined the dealer installed the hitch wrong (how sad) so I am going back to them on Tuesday so I can instruct them on how to do their jobs correctly.

Hope Troy can help you.

2015 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel CC SB, Demco 18K Hijacker Auto Slide, Pace Edwards Electric Tonneau, TST TPMS 507 Standard Sensors, Titan 50 Gallon Midship Fuel Tank

2016 Prime Time Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel, Dometic Slide Toppers
KEG_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #7

What did they have you do to correct the chucking???
Old 05-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
What did they have you do to correct the chucking???
I believe the chucking/dolphining is caused by the trailer, not the hitch.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #9

I will describe the procedure I went through which is also in the operators manual. If you don't have the operators manual you can view/print it from the website Demco Products.

Your issues may not be the same as mine which is why I suggested to call Troy at Demco but here is what Troy advised me to do to eliminate my chucking issue. My issue was significant chucking when making a turn like in a residential area. The chucking was so bad it felt like it was going to jerk the truck right out from under my butt.

First Item:
Stand at the tailgate of your truck and look at the gear with teeth there is a flat bar that comes out from beneath the gear towards the back of the hitch. This bar must be straight if it is not then take a crowbar and move the bar until it is straight. This should put the hitch back in time and the hitch head should then be straight. Next you need to adjust the hijacker autoslide gear adjustment bolt which is located at the cab end in the center at the bottom of the hitch. The bolt has a lock nut and takes a 1 1/8 inch socket. Loosen the bolt and lock nut. After loosening the bolt tighten it in BY HAND until it is tight against the gear and then back it off 1/8 of a turn and tighten the lock nut. After this adjustment you should have little to no for & aft chucking when starting and stoping in a straight towing position.
Second Item:
Next I adjusted the capture plates which are the guide bars on each side of the top of the hitch head. These capture plates guide the pin box in and go against each side of the pin box. First measure the width of the bottom of the pin box which slides up onto the hitch head. Loosen the bolts and lock nuts on the capture plates and adjust the capture plates to the width of your pin box plus 1/8 inch. This will leave 1/16 inch on each side of the pin box when between the capture plates. Finger tighten each bolt. Make sure each capture plate is an equal distance from center of the hitch head. Next hitch up the 5th wheel in a straight position. Then get into the truck bed and push the guide plates against the pin box and tighten. This will eliminate any slop between hitch head and pin box and should eliminate almost all chucking when making turns in say a residential type area.
These adjustments eliminated my issue and I now have little to no chucking towing in a straight line or while making turns and I feel the hitch is now operating as it should.
Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

2015 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel CC SB, Demco 18K Hijacker Auto Slide, Pace Edwards Electric Tonneau, TST TPMS 507 Standard Sensors, Titan 50 Gallon Midship Fuel Tank

2016 Prime Time Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel, Dometic Slide Toppers
KEG_75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide