Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
IMO...3/4 ton gasser will be fine towing under 10K lbs and infrequent trips.

If you go heavier and a lot more rv towing...probably will not enjoy the 6.0 as much ,)
__________________

__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Flat ground the gasser might be ok. IMHO I think the Diesel suspension/trans/drivetrain is far superior to non Diesel. Plus they last forever. Diesel is $3.23 in socal and it cost $75.00 for an oil change and tire rotation. Depending on driving habits I can go between 8k and 10k per service. Again this is just MHO. This debate has been going on for a long time
His 2000 Cummins might have lasted forever, but I wouldn't bank on your 2011 doing so. You have a LOT of emissions equipment on yours that won't "last forever", and it's not very cheap to replace or delete. High pressure fuel delivery system is another major difference on the newer diesels that experiences VERY expensive failures at times. Yeah, the bottom end will likely hold up just like the older ones, it's all the high priced stuff bolted to it that might bite you. As long as you are prepared for it and not living in 2000ville, the new diesels sure do pull like crazy. Can't speak for the Cummins and DMax, but my 6.7PSD got excellent mileage, too. The new ones do NOT like to be driven short distances and not allowed to reach operating temp, however.

Edit: I do agree with your assessment on the drivetrain being tougher on the diesels- when it comes to Dodge/Aisin and Chevy/Allison setups. However, I THINK, but haven't confirmed, that the Ford uses the same transmission and rear axle on gas and diesel Superdutys.
__________________

__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Most of us EcoBeast drivers get @ 13MPG @ 65MPH towing flat. Hills & Mountains drop that by 3-4 MPG.

When we went to The Goshen IN RV Rally this August, we averaged 11.2 MPG - mostly interstate, pulling through the hills of TN & KY, through IN, then looping back through MI, OH & back through KY & TN)
I don't get 13mpg towing flat. I haven't checked in on paper, because.....well, who cares. I'm going anyway!!! With that being said, I speculate that when I set the cruise at 65 I get in the 8's. This is combined flat, hilly, towns, etc. Once again, haven't checked this, but I KNOW it's nowhere near 13. I'm pulling a TT in the 9K range too, though. Pulling slightly lighter and slightly shorter I got mid 11's on both a 1997 7.3 PSD and a 2011 6.7 PSD. Other guys claim to get 12 to 13+ with them.
__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
I pulled my 14,000 # "fully loaded" 5th wheel with my 3/4 ton 6.0 gasser for 2 years.
200000 miles on the ticker.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #15
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I pulled my 14,000 # "fully loaded" 5th wheel with my 3/4 ton 6.0 gasser for 2 years.
200000 miles on the ticker.
This is why you went to a duramax ?
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
This is why you went to a duramax ?
if the "boss" hadn't let me upgrade I'd still be pulling it with the 6.0.
Other then mpg it towed it fine.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
mike.t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Norcal
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
His 2000 Cummins might have lasted forever, but I wouldn't bank on your 2011 doing so. You have a LOT of emissions equipment on yours that won't "last forever", and it's not very cheap to replace or delete. High pressure fuel delivery system is another major difference on the newer diesels that experiences VERY expensive failures at times. Yeah, the bottom end will likely hold up just like the older ones, it's all the high priced stuff bolted to it that might bite you. As long as you are prepared for it and not living in 2000ville, the new diesels sure do pull like crazy. Can't speak for the Cummins and DMax, but my 6.7PSD got excellent mileage, too. The new ones do NOT like to be driven short distances and not allowed to reach operating temp, however.

Edit: I do agree with your assessment on the drivetrain being tougher on the diesels- when it comes to Dodge/Aisin and Chevy/Allison setups. However, I THINK, but haven't confirmed, that the Ford uses the same transmission and rear axle on gas and diesel Superdutys.

Right you are about the Emission stuff. But all newer vehicles have them be it gas or Diesel.Dont plan on deleting anything (clean air thing). Not partial to GM just got a better deal on the Duramax. If you get the right setup a gasser is fine. I like Diesels.
__________________
2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Cummins
55' Chevy Bel-Air
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Right you are about the Emission stuff. But all newer vehicles have them be it gas or Diesel.Dont plan on deleting anything (clean air thing). Not partial to GM just got a better deal on the Duramax. If you get the right setup a gasser is fine. I like Diesels.
There is no way you can argue a naturally aspirated gas is going to tow as well as a diesel. Turbocharged gas (Ecoboost) performs very well for it's torque rating- I prefer it to a diesel of similar torque rating because you can drop gears and rev to maintain speed whereas a diesel is very limited on maximum RPM. With that being said, the new gas engines do have emissions controls, but they are less complex and much less costly than what is required on a new diesel. DEF system, DPF and high pressure fuel system are the major costly components used on today's "green diesels." For example, an Ecoboost fuel pump supposedly runs at 2150psi whereas a 6.7 PSD runs at 30,000psi. DMax is the same. I think the 6.7 Cummins is running at 27K.
__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Super Thirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: La Ronge, SK
Posts: 131
"i have a 2011 shasta revere 26rls sticker says around 6700lbs empty"

I currently run a 2013 Chev 2500HD Crew cab 4x4 6.0l gas pulling a 2014 Shasta Oasis 26RLS which weighs up very close to your unit. I am happy with the unit. It pulls fine. I bought the truck because my 1500 didn't have the suspension to handle the weight. I live in northern Saskatchewan Canada and my driving habits don't suit Diesel engines. I get right around 18 m/imp gal empty at about 65mph and get about 10-11 pulling at 60 mph


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #20
Member
 
mattb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 67
IF you are into hopping things up, the 6.0 gas is an awesome place to start building a kick ass engine. Within reason for durability. Without reason these things have crazy power potential. You tube 6.0 Chevy anything, they are everywhere and in everything.
__________________

__________________
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.