Old 06-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #1

Diesel ?

K so if a guy was going to consider upgrading from a gasser to a diesel because someday there may be another upgrade from a tt to a fiver, what should be the major considerations? Is the long bed the best rout to go or the short with a extension on the pinbox? Rear end ratio? I really think I like the ford 6.7 power stroke better than the dodge and Chevy but am open to your opinions. Please help!

Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #2

Figure out first and foremost how much trailer/fiver you want. Once you have that down pat, then consider a truck. As far as trucks are concerned, lots of people love their Fords as with Dodge and Chevrolet/GMC. In reality any of then will do a good job as long as it is properly matched to the trailer. IMHO if you strap yourself to one brand you may be missing out on a better product.
Again, once you have the trailer down pat then decide on the truck. You may end up picking a trailer that can be towed satisfactorily with a SRW and you have bought a dually. Or visa versa. Remember with a fifth wheel approx 20% of the actual loaded ready to travel weight will be carried directly over the rear axle. So picking a truck first could end up as a very expensive mistake.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #3

With many of today's fifth wheel front cap designs, you don't need a long bed. Bed length is a personal choice. I have a short bed and I have plenty of clearance with my 2013 Columbus. If you get a short bed, you might consider a slider hitch as they are handy. It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Get a TV with the tow package option. 3.73 or 4.10 is a good towing differential ratio.
As for which brand TV, that also is a personal choice. I like the Cummins Turbo Diesel, but that's me. If I had to do it over, I would have gotten a 1 Ton dually, though I am satisfied with my 2500 RAM. A 3/4 Ton does limit your fifth wheel choices.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #4

I agree, pic the TT first or at leat get close to what you think you'll end up with.

Are you looking for a new truck or open to used?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #5

Prob new. I just , in a way, regret buying the 6.0 gasser. Will take a huge hickey if I trade tho. I know that a fiver is in the future tho and am thinking although I'll take a loss, it won't ever be worth as much as it is now as a trade in. Thats just one thought tho!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #6

Best mod for towing with a gasser is gears i'm assuming it's a bowtie?
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #7

Yes with 373 if I remember correctly
Old 06-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #8

You won't regret going diesel, especially if you are hauling long distances. The difference in torque alone is worth it.

A change in gears & a tuner for 6.0 are a good combination, as long as the truck is within its tow rating.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #9

Ok so I took the plunge and went with the ford diesel lariat f250 fx4 with the 355 rear end. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #10

I would go with the long bed. Not only do you avoid interference problems, but the longer wheelbase tows more smoothly. If you do decide on a short bed, a sliding hitch might be a better option than a pin box extension. The extension applies extra torque to the frame of the 5er. Some have been known to crack. Before you do it, check with the manufacturer to see if it will void the warrantee.

The new Ford, Chevy, and Dodge diesel engines are all pretty robust. However, IMO, the Allison transmission in the Chevy is far and away the best of the three. I like the Cummins engine best, but the transmission in the the Dodge is a real weakness.

Joel

Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad