Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
Back to Shasta Camping...

Diesel Engine Off While Refueling???

Folks,

In researching the above topic I see no history as to this quesiton being previously discussed. If such a topic does exist I would appreciate a link to that thread.

BACKGROUND: Being new to diesel side of TVs I have been doing a bit of research of how to do things... One of the things that I have come across is that Diesels should be run a bit after coming off the road before being shutdown (especially while working hard). My question revolves around those times when I would be towing and on the road and am fortunate enough to pull directly into a diesel pump. I don't want to damage the turbo due to high EGT and want to do the right thing to not damage turbo bearing and other such parts/systems...

Again, my question is, "Is it an accepted practice to refuel with engine running?" If it is not ok, then what do you do? Do you pull into a truck slot in the rear and let it idle for minutes to allow it to cool down and then get fuel???

As always, thanks for sharing your great well of knowledge and experience.

Happy Travels,

B n D
Her RV: 2010 VCross 20VFB (Camper)
--------------------------------------------------
Bill n Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

I don't shut down my truck until my truck's EGT (Pre-Turbo) is at or below 350 def F.
Now, unless it's really hot and I'm really working it, it's not much more than a minute of idling to cool it off (if that long, depending on how cold it is outside).

I always shut off before fueling.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #3

Shouldnt take more then the time you slow roll through the station to the pumps that EGTs and temps are at acceptable levels. That being said, legally you are supposed to shut down when refueling. Does everyone do it? No. I know I am just as guilty for not shutting down at a diesel only pump, but usually that is when filling the aux tank (which also has a transfer pump for filling other equipment.)
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #4

Diesel does not have explosive vapors, but the nearby gas pumps do. I usually shut down.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #5

I shut down to fuel because of the gas pumps nearby. My EGT temps drop fast enough that by the time I am at the pump everything is cool.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #6

As stated, by the time you coast down the off ramp, light load up the road the distance to the station, then crawl into the pump area, your EGT should be fine.

That said, depends. I have gone both ways, if I'm at a diesel only area with someone else in the truck, I'll leave it running. Gas area or alone, I'll shut it down.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

Never shut ours down to refuel.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #8

Your newer diesel you are better off not letting it idle too long. Typically if I plan to let mine sit for more than a couple of minutes I will shut it off. Any less and I will let it keep running.
The reason the newer diesels shouldn't idle is due to the new emissions they are installing. Idling is a rather inefficient process with diesels and creates a fair amount of soot and debris from unburnt fuel. The unburnt fuel will begin to plug your DPF filter and either your truck will go into regeneration to clean this filter or worse yet you may need to replace the filter. These filters do have a service life, a fairly long one, but idle time decreases their life.

Another down fall to idling for longer periods is that at an idle your fuel pressure isn't very high. Since the fuel pressure isn't very high the spray pattern from your injector isn't at its optimum patter and begins to flush the cylinder walls with diesel fuel. This can get fuel between the piston rings and the cylinder walls and can actually get into the oil.

As others said, typically by the time you reach the pump your temps have had enough time to settle themselves to where they need to be.

During the winter time, I will typically let mine idle quite a bit longer than normal to help keep fuel flowing and avoid the harder starting...

Idling typically will not hurt anything when done with in reason. Too much idling can cause harm.

as Narboza said, diesel doesn't emit the volatile vapors that gasoline does. Idling a diesel at a pump is not going to cause any harm, although some may argue this fact.

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #9

Yep, my truck has an engine idle shutdown after 5 minutes if the truck is in park. If it's in drive it will shutdown after a 15 minute idle.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Yep, my truck has an engine idle shutdown after 5 minutes if the truck is in park. If it's in drive it will shutdown after a 15 minute idle.
If you're ever parked next to OC...disable this feature on your truck! LOL

Old 04-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
If you're ever parked next to OC...disable this feature on your truck! LOL

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Never shut ours down to refuel.
X2
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #13

Like was said above, by the time you exit and get to the pump it is usually enough time. There have been a few times I have sat and idled out of the way before pulling into pump though. I always shut down during fueling.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Your newer diesel you are better off not letting it idle too long. Typically if I plan to let mine sit for more than a couple of minutes I will shut it off. Any less and I will let it keep running.
The reason the newer diesels shouldn't idle is due to the new emissions they are installing. Idling is a rather inefficient process with diesels and creates a fair amount of soot and debris from unburnt fuel. The unburnt fuel will begin to plug your DPF filter and either your truck will go into regeneration to clean this filter or worse yet you may need to replace the filter. These filters do have a service life, a fairly long one, but idle time decreases their life.

Another down fall to idling for longer periods is that at an idle your fuel pressure isn't very high. Since the fuel pressure isn't very high the spray pattern from your injector isn't at its optimum patter and begins to flush the cylinder walls with diesel fuel. This can get fuel between the piston rings and the cylinder walls and can actually get into the oil.

As others said, typically by the time you reach the pump your temps have had enough time to settle themselves to where they need to be.

During the winter time, I will typically let mine idle quite a bit longer than normal to help keep fuel flowing and avoid the harder starting...

Idling typically will not hurt anything when done with in reason. Too much idling can cause harm.

as Narboza said, diesel doesn't emit the volatile vapors that gasoline does. Idling a diesel at a pump is not going to cause any harm, although some may argue this fact.
Got links to back this up? It's news to me.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:41 AM   #15

The only thing I know about is the DPF and newer diesels is that idling for hours on end without highway drive time is bad. If the truck idles a lot due to PTO or other needs and does not get driven on highway for 10-20 miles after a few hours of that they end up at the dealer for them to reset the regen cycle. Otherwise, if idling for more then a few minutes where an issue the F550 I drive and barely ever turn off in a 12 hour shift towing would not be in service. So no 10, 20, 30 minutes idling and then hitting the road will have no ill effect on the newer diesels, 3, 4, 8 hours without the proper ECU flash will end up with a trip to the dealer.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:54 AM   #16

I never shut off any of my vehicles when i fuel up. I have heard here & there that its not safe to leave the veh running, but I have yet to have someone explain to me a valid danger in leaving it running. the engine is in the front, exhaust is in the back. no flames/sparks shooting anywhere. the only real danger i have heard of is static electricity, and that has nothing to do with the engine running. you can get static electricity even when the engine is off. I know the fumes are more flammable than the fuel itself, but leaving the engine running does not increase the chances of vapors igniting. you have to have an ignitor, & the only ignitor at the fuel-fill door would be static electricity or a cigarette. Neither of those would be affected by leaving the engine running. & as far as the signage that says turn off engine, there are disclaimers all over this planet. I have not heard of a fire starting DUE TO LEAVING THE ENGINE RUNNING. I have heard of fires started from static but not from leaving the engine running. I have yet to hear a good reason to turn off my engine while i fuel. & I live in South Dakota where its quite often -30 with a 40mph wind while fueling. I'll leave my heater going instead! I would listen to any valid points tho.
silveradoduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:24 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

I drive mine like a gasser.
Remote start to start and warm up.
Shut it off when I would have shut off my gasser.
No worries so far.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:01 AM   #18

I own a fleet of tractor trailers. We never shut down during fueling. It's also good practice to let your engine have a cool down period for 10-15 minutes after parking. If your engine has a shut down timer, often it can be disabled by using the cruise control to increase the engine rpm's to around 900-1100 rpm's. Idling newer engine for 10-15 minutes at a time with the use of higher rpm's will not your engine at all. Diesel engines like to run and not be shut off and restarted constantly.
shadow7663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #19

You don't need to shut down to refuel with diesel. The diesel vapors will not ignite from a static spark like gasoline. Even if your next to a gasoline pump you don't need to shut down because you are not in direct contact with flowing gasoline. The vapors will not be concentrated enough by the time they get to your vehicle.

With gasoline the whole vehicle builds static. You should always touch a part of the vehicle that is not directly next to the nozzle to discharge all static. Getting back into your vehicle while fueling will recharge you with additional static. The vapors of gasoline coming out of your filling port have a low flashpoint and just touching the nozzle can make a spark strong enough to ignite the vapors. Usually there's enough air flow or you would see more gas stations on fire because nobody follows procedures to eliminate the risk.

Diesel vapors have a high flash point and the vapors will not ignite from a spark. Actually a low temp open flame will not ignite diesel fuel vapors.
2014 Montana 356TBF
Big Bad Allis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveradoduane View Post
I never shut off any of my vehicles when i fuel up. I have heard here & there that its not safe to leave the veh running, but I have yet to have someone explain to me a valid danger in leaving it running. the engine is in the front, exhaust is in the back. no flames/sparks shooting anywhere. the only real danger i have heard of is static electricity, and that has nothing to do with the engine running. you can get static electricity even when the engine is off. I know the fumes are more flammable than the fuel itself, but leaving the engine running does not increase the chances of vapors igniting. you have to have an ignitor, & the only ignitor at the fuel-fill door would be static electricity or a cigarette. Neither of those would be affected by leaving the engine running. & as far as the signage that says turn off engine, there are disclaimers all over this planet. I have not heard of a fire starting DUE TO LEAVING THE ENGINE RUNNING. I have heard of fires started from static but not from leaving the engine running. I have yet to hear a good reason to turn off my engine while i fuel. & I live in South Dakota where its quite often -30 with a 40mph wind while fueling. I'll leave my heater going instead! I would listen to any valid points tho.
Exactly. If it really was dangerous, I have a feeling the manufacturers would have rigged something up not allowing you to open the fuel door while the engine was running- you know, to "protect" the sheeple.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel