Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #41

I just bought my first diesel..........2015 Chevy 2500 LTZ.

I shut down to refuel. I guess my main reason is:

$4.00 per gallon!
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #42

I shut down to refuel because. ....It's a violation of the fire code not too!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #43

I shut down to refuel because I used to work in the ICU of a hospital Burn Unit.

Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
Former pop-up owner
Hybrid owner wannabe

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhyer View Post
It's a violation of the fire code not too!!!
I did a quick search and cannot find such a restriction in the Florida Fire Prevention Code, nor in our county Code of Ordinances for Fire Prevention and Protection. I think this used to be more of a problem before the vapor recovery systems on cars. Smoking, static electricity, and old analog cell phones are ways to set off gas vapors, but generally that had to be relatively close to the fill nozzle.

Static electricity is why they tell you to fill portable containers while they are sitting on the ground.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #45

now i live in nebraska and the majority of my trips are down to oklahoma and back. i do not shut down while fueling unless i need to run into the station for something. coming off the interstate or hwy my egt's are not below 300* by the time i reach the pumps so i do let it idle to get those temps down as well as coolant and other oils. now when i have my fifthwheel toy hauler i can't pull into the gas pumps so i always stop at truck stops and use the diesel lanes so no worries about gas fumes there. pushing 50 foot long kind of limits myself and many others on filling stations. lol in nebraska most truck stops are right off the exit not down the road a mile or two like most other states but if you are running gauges (like i believe everyone should with diesels) then you can tell where you are on temps once you enter the stations parking lot.

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #46

Always turn our engine off when filling up. Silly question(or maybe not) : Can the newer diesels fill up from the same pumps as the "big rig" diesel trucks? And, can we use the DEF from the pumps like the big rigs? Just wondering, some of the older Pilot stations can be tight for a 40' fifth wheel. TIA
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #47

I have a cool down timer. 5 minutes or 350*. There is no external spark source from a diesel to ignite gasoline vapours.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #48

I don't know about diesel engines but gas engines running with the gas cap off will screw up the computer and an evap code will come up. My question do these diesels have the same type problems.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnys_walkers View Post
I have a cool down timer. 5 minutes or 350*. There is no external spark source from a diesel to ignite gasoline vapours.
I know for my f350 diesel I can buy a fast flow kit for the tank filler tube to fill up at the same pumps the semi's do.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
I don't know about diesel engines but gas engines running with the gas cap off will screw up the computer and an evap code will come up. My question do these diesels have the same type problems.
I don't think the newer ones do but my 1999 f350 doesn't throw a code. the only time I have ever seen my ses light come on is when I hit 30 lbs boost lol it goes off in half a mile and sets no codes the scanner picks up. only happened twice in over two years but still.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #51

I have an 08 diesel and I can fill up running no codes or problems! Also can use high flow capacity pumps
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
Always turn our engine off when filling up. Silly question(or maybe not) : Can the newer diesels fill up from the same pumps as the "big rig" diesel trucks? And, can we use the DEF from the pumps like the big rigs? Just wondering, some of the older Pilot stations can be tight for a 40' fifth wheel. TIA
Yes the newer diesel trucks can use the truck pumps. Be aware though, these pumps are designed for a very high flow rate and if you lock the trigger wide open you probably will have quite a diesel spill even with the auto shutoff. Eighteen wheelers have fuel tank capacities of 150 to 300 gallons, hence the high flow rate. When I fuel up at truck pumps (almost always) I never lock the trigger and instead manually control the flow of fuel. I haven’t had a fuel spill yet.

I don’t use DEF so I can’t help you with that question.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Yes the newer diesel trucks can use the truck pumps. Be aware though, these pumps are designed for a very high flow rate and if you lock the trigger wide open you probably will have quite a diesel spill even with the auto shutoff. Eighteen wheelers have fuel tank capacities of 150 to 300 gallons, hence the high flow rate. When I fuel up at truck pumps (almost always) I never lock the trigger and instead manually control the flow of fuel. I haven’t had a fuel spill yet.

I don’t use DEF so I can’t help you with that question.

You just made DH a very happy camper. Gonna try it at next stop. Hope the truckers don't laugh us out of the fuel,lanes. Thanks!!
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #54

Quote:
You just made DH a very happy camper. Gonna try it at next stop. Hope the truckers don't laugh us out of the fuel,lanes. Thanks!!

If you use these truckers pumps get in and get out. Don't fool around. They get pretty upset.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
If you use these truckers pumps get in and get out. Don't fool around. They get pretty upset.
Fuel up and pull forward so the truck behind you... Then go do whatever you need to inside (pay, grab some drinks, hit the restroom). By the time the rig behind you fills up, you'll be gone unless you are gonna sit on the throne for a while or sit down for a bite to eat....then you need to go park it before hand.

And as Oakman said, stay with the pump and don't use if full blast. I had one not auto-off for me and I had a Diesel Geyser coming out of my truck one day.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 AM   #56

Quote:
Using the truck pumps is another benefit to owning a diesel truck. No more trying to maneuver around the gasoline pumps that were designed for cars and no more wondering if the canopy over the pumps is high enough.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #57
Boondocking Only

Never shut diesel down, year round. Gas I only shut down in summer, let it run in winter.
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #58

For Duramaxes anything 04.5 you shouldnt have an issue using the bigger nozzles,01-04 have a smaller filler neck. Grew up on farms and have never shut off a diesel while fueling, tractors,semis, light duty. I dont see an issue unless im going inside the gas station. I laugh at the comment about Cylinder wash, Do you realize how many semis,generators,light duty trucks that idle for long durations and not a single issue due to cylinder wash.

2003 ccsb 2500 Chevrolet/Duramax- some goodies- Thanks to Copperhead Diesel.

2002 Kit Millenium 358

RedHotGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #59
Mod free 5er

Some folks are just inconsiderate of other people not wanting to hear a rattling diesel too.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #60

never leave running, my EGT probe is in the manifold and sitting at idle it reads 250-350 just after a cold start, if I hit a really short ramp and immediate turn for fuel I might let it sit for a few minutes..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel