Old 04-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
Back to Shasta Camping...
Diesel Engine Off While Refueling???

In researching the above topic I see no history as to this quesiton being previously discussed. If such a topic does exist I would appreciate a link to that thread.

BACKGROUND: Being new to diesel side of TVs I have been doing a bit of research of how to do things... One of the things that I have come across is that Diesels should be run a bit after coming off the road before being shutdown (especially while working hard). My question revolves around those times when I would be towing and on the road and am fortunate enough to pull directly into a diesel pump. I don't want to damage the turbo due to high EGT and want to do the right thing to not damage turbo bearing and other such parts/systems...

Again, my question is, "Is it an accepted practice to refuel with engine running?" If it is not ok, then what do you do? Do you pull into a truck slot in the rear and let it idle for minutes to allow it to cool down and then get fuel???

As always, thanks for sharing your great well of knowledge and experience.

Happy Travels,

B n D

His TV: 2014 RAM 3500 MC DRW 6.7 CTD AISIN
His RV: 2014 REDWOOD 38FL (House)
Her TV: 2013 RAM 1500 CC 5.7 Hemi
Her RV: 2010 VCross 20VFB (Camper)
Bill n Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
I don't shut down my truck until my truck's EGT (Pre-Turbo) is at or below 350 def F.
Now, unless it's really hot and I'm really working it, it's not much more than a minute of idling to cool it off (if that long, depending on how cold it is outside).

I always shut off before fueling.

'01 F-250 PSD CC 4x4 SB
'08 Wildwood LE 26TBSS

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Shouldnt take more then the time you slow roll through the station to the pumps that EGTs and temps are at acceptable levels. That being said, legally you are supposed to shut down when refueling. Does everyone do it? No. I know I am just as guilty for not shutting down at a diesel only pump, but usually that is when filling the aux tank (which also has a transfer pump for filling other equipment.)
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Diesel does not have explosive vapors, but the nearby gas pumps do. I usually shut down.
2014 Blue Ridge 3715BH <- Read the saga
2013 Sierra 3500HD Denali CCLB DRW 4x4 Duramax w/ Reese 20K
Camped: 2016=6, 2015=9, 2014=27

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
I shut down to fuel because of the gas pumps nearby. My EGT temps drop fast enough that by the time I am at the pump everything is cool.
2001 Ford F250 7.3l converted to F350 specs
2014 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2 - 2006 model year Border Collies
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
As stated, by the time you coast down the off ramp, light load up the road the distance to the station, then crawl into the pump area, your EGT should be fine.

That said, depends. I have gone both ways, if I'm at a diesel only area with someone else in the truck, I'll leave it running. Gas area or alone, I'll shut it down.
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Plain Old Member
Never shut ours down to refuel.
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
Your newer diesel you are better off not letting it idle too long. Typically if I plan to let mine sit for more than a couple of minutes I will shut it off. Any less and I will let it keep running.
The reason the newer diesels shouldn't idle is due to the new emissions they are installing. Idling is a rather inefficient process with diesels and creates a fair amount of soot and debris from unburnt fuel. The unburnt fuel will begin to plug your DPF filter and either your truck will go into regeneration to clean this filter or worse yet you may need to replace the filter. These filters do have a service life, a fairly long one, but idle time decreases their life.

Another down fall to idling for longer periods is that at an idle your fuel pressure isn't very high. Since the fuel pressure isn't very high the spray pattern from your injector isn't at its optimum patter and begins to flush the cylinder walls with diesel fuel. This can get fuel between the piston rings and the cylinder walls and can actually get into the oil.

As others said, typically by the time you reach the pump your temps have had enough time to settle themselves to where they need to be.

During the winter time, I will typically let mine idle quite a bit longer than normal to help keep fuel flowing and avoid the harder starting...

Idling typically will not hurt anything when done with in reason. Too much idling can cause harm.

as Narboza said, diesel doesn't emit the volatile vapors that gasoline does. Idling a diesel at a pump is not going to cause any harm, although some may argue this fact.

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
Yep, my truck has an engine idle shutdown after 5 minutes if the truck is in park. If it's in drive it will shutdown after a 15 minute idle.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Camper Less Camping
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Yep, my truck has an engine idle shutdown after 5 minutes if the truck is in park. If it's in drive it will shutdown after a 15 minute idle.
If you're ever parked next to OC...disable this feature on your truck! LOL

2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is online now   Reply With Quote