Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #41

From what I've read Ford and GM (not sure about the Dodge) both use the same Bosch HPFP with the only difference being the fuel system and filters.

A friend was telling me his friends ford gave up the ghost 20 miles out on a logging road... not fun. He's now driving a GM
Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboatr View Post
if using anti-gel or additives.......they are detrimental to DEF and DPF trucks
Can you explain this in more detail?
Old 03-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #43

Transamz9, yea I can back those numbers up anytime you want to see them. I have the dyno slips to prov it. I am not really sure what your getting at. All I said was those older Cummins they were talking about were 160 hp motors, so yea they got 20 mpg. I for one don't want to go back to that, I like the power my truck makes. And yes the newer 5.9's make big power with no problem with just a small tune. I had two of them I know all about them. So not really sure what issue you had with what I said. Like I said I can back those numbers up anytime. I get the mileage I claimed, thats no big feat for a truck like mine. There are tons of people out there doing it. I just got back from an 1800 mile trip pulling my 32 foot fifthwheel, all hand calculated at anywhere from 10 1/2 - 12.3 mpg.

2016 Dynamax DX3 37BH
2015 Jeep JKU
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #44

DEF Additive

I use 2.5 gallons in 2000 miles of towing, never add if not towing (so can't say how much I use) however if it helps giving the 6.7 Power Stroke the power it has, I have no problem putting it in. Ford has done a fantastic job on this truck and motor.
Ralph40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph40 View Post
I use 2.5 gallons in 2000 miles of towing, never add if not towing (so can't say how much I use) however if it helps giving the 6.7 Power Stroke the power it has, I have no problem putting it in. Ford has done a fantastic job on this truck and motor.
Sounds about right if you average 10 MPG towing and the usage is 1.25% of diesel usage.
I have 6,250 miles on my 2011 Chevy 6.6 Duramax and have pulled my 5th. wheel about 800 miles of that. I haven't had to add DEF yet. Waiting for the 900 mile light to come on before I do. DEF tank capacity is 5.3 gallons. I was told the usage would be from 1% to 1.25% of diesel usage. I should be getting close to needing to add.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #46

A couple items, there is an alternative engine out there that is starting to take foot, Navistar's Magnaforce diesel engine has the same torque as Cummins engines, meets the 2010 emission requirements without DEF. The issue for the coach industry is that most manufacturers utilize freightliner chassis and will not utilize this engine.

Additionally be careful on removing any of the emission equipment, as this could result in denials for any engine issues. Also any state that requires emission testing will fail the truck or coach. Just a thought.
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #47

DEF has been around since the 80's and it is here to stay, until something better comes along, Dodge will have it next year, 2013. It is for cleaner exhaust and when I hear people say that they don't care about that, then I wonder if they would think it is ok to put other poison into the air that we have to breathe? Thank you for the EPA and may they help keep the air I breathe cleaner. Diesel exhaust causes cancer, the jury is in on that and we must clean it up.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
While the tailpipe emissions "might" be cleaner than a 99 Ford Diesel for instance
There is not "might"...today's diesels are many times cleaner than the '99's were. Seriously, it's not even close. Just drive behind one when they need to step on the go pedal. All that black smoke is soot, and emissions. You won't see that on an '08 or newer truck (unless the DPF is gone).

As for the OP, don't let the DEF scare you away from a new truck. Add it every oil change and go on your way. My father LOVES his '11 F250 with the 6.7 diesel, and it gets 2-3 MPG better than my '08 empty or loaded.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote