Old 02-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I never use the truck lanes. In fact, diesel fuel at truck stops is normally 5 to 10 cents higher per gallon than at regular stations. As stated above, look for the larger gas stations and diesel fuel is often on the outside lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

I have been pulling into truck stops ever since I purchased my 2008 Ram Mega Cab. I am will to pay the additional cost in fuel prices for the convince of using the truck stops. If I worried about every time I purchased fuel with the 5er attached I give up the RV life style. Another point on using major truck stop fueling places is the diesel fuel is fresh do to the large turn over rate of trucks buying diesel.

Most of the time we are traveling to a destination and this could be several days away from us. So we do not un-hook the 5er and for the convince of fueling up we just pull in to the truck stops right off the interstate.

We also use two different books to find diesel fuel in states that we are not familiar with. One is called the Next Exit and the other is called the RV'ERS friend.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I never use the truck lanes. In fact, diesel fuel at truck stops is normally 5 to 10 cents higher per gallon than at regular stations. As stated above, look for the larger gas stations and diesel fuel is often on the outside lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
True...main reason I do not go to the truck stops is the cost. Most of the truck stops through Florida are upwards of 20 cents higher a gallon. As mentioned earlier, I mostly use Murphy...use the Walmart credit card and get an extra 5 cents off a gallon.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #13

I've had a diesel pu since '06 and hardly ever use the truck lanes for a couple of reasons.
--As others have said, fuel prices are generally higher than other stations
--Pump handles, etc tend to be dirtier and more oily in the truck lanes so you smell like you work at the airport
--Truck lane pumps pump FAST and can spill all over the place if you don't watch it.

About zero downside to using the normal pumps IMO.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Many truck pumps have a larger fuel nozzle that will not fit your fill port. Also as mentioned many of the larger truck stops only accept fuel cards at the truck island.
Found out about the nozzles the hard way. First time I used one of the truck pumps I got the nozzle stuck in the TV... Took me a few minutes to finally get it out.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron in TX View Post
I've had a diesel pu since '06 and hardly ever use the truck lanes for a couple of reasons.
--As others have said, fuel prices are generally higher than other stations
--Pump handles, etc tend to be dirtier and more oily in the truck lanes so you smell like you work at the airport
--Truck lane pumps pump FAST and can spill all over the place if you don't watch it.

About zero downside to using the normal pumps IMO.
I have a pair of leather work gloves that are stored in the door lower storage area. These are used every time I fill up regardless if I am in a truck stop or Meijers or Walmart/Sam's club. I have found even these station have issues with the diesel fuel pump handles. My wife has disposable vinyl gloves in her VW TDI when she fills up her car.

At most truck stops the price paid for fuel depends if it is paid either by cash or credit. With cash be less costly than credit; CASH is king.

Time is money and to me driving around an unfamiliar area with the 5er attached looking for a cheaper station is not worth the hassle and worry about diesel fuel quality. So I will pay the added cost of $0.10 to $0.15 a gallon and be on my way.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I have a pair of leather work gloves that are stored in the door lower storage area. These are used every time I fill up regardless if I am in a truck stop or Meijers or Walmart/Sam's club. I have found even these station have issues with the diesel fuel pump handles. My wife has disposable vinyl gloves in her VW TDI when she fills up her car.

At most truck stops the price paid for fuel depends if it is paid either by cash or credit. With cash be less costly than credit; CASH is king.

Time is money and to me driving around an unfamiliar area with the 5er attached looking for a cheaper station is not worth the hassle and worry about diesel fuel quality. So I will pay the added cost of $0.10 to $0.15 a gallon and be on my way.
I've got a Chase Rewards card. I get cash back (around 5 cents a gallon) not just on fuel but ALL purchases at any fuel/convenience store (so that includes ice, beer, snacks).

Pretty cool....averages about a $100 credit each month that I just apply to my balance and pay off in full each month.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
So true. I bought a cheap pair of work gloves from Home Depot and always use them - truck stops and regular fuel stations. The diesel pump handles are always dirty.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #18

When we use the RV lanes at Flying J they capture 200.00 on our credit card before fueling. That will remain on your card for 24 to 48 till the correct amount is charged. I have never had problem with it since we carry low balance on our cards but if you only have low credit limit you could hit your credit limit after a couple of fill ups. Since we only have a 27 gallon tank over 2 day period we could get 6 fill ups cost 30 buck each but have 1200 captured on our credit card.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

I wish my fill ups cost... 30bucks!

I use the rv lanes when they have them, I prefer these really. I used the trucks lanes twice now. Had to walk in to prepay.. Sent the DW. I have never seen the price higher for trucks than the car lanes but I have limited experience there. I also carry a 5 gallon fuel can just in case I get to a tight spot. I'd rather fill and dump the can 5 times than hit something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #20

Bah ! Prepay !

Any canuks know how to pay at the pump in the states with a Canadian credit card ?

Tags
diesel