Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #21
Who Dares, Wins

Well you send the wife in while you wait at the pump, a bit slower but kinda like a pay while you wait at the pump...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #22

I guess we're spoiled here in the plains states. There's always a car diesel pump at about any fuel station that's easy enough to get to. We don't have to center the big truck nozzle over the smaller pickup fuel nozzle hole, don't have to send someone in to prepay, and don't have to pledge allegiance to most Flying Flip J's whose prices are way higher than a competing station 1/2 mile across the road.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I wish my fill ups cost... 30bucks!

That the problem with 27 gallon tank. Fill ups are about 20 gallons since that only leave 7 gallons (70 miles till empty towing) in the tank and 20 gallons at 1.65 is 33 bucks.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I guess we're spoiled here in the plains states. There's always a car diesel pump at about any fuel station that's easy enough to get to. We don't have to center the big truck nozzle over the smaller pickup fuel nozzle hole, don't have to send someone in to prepay, and don't have to pledge allegiance to most Flying Flip J's whose prices are way higher than a competing station 1/2 mile across the road.
Little more populated on this side of the world I guess.

It's funny how many people say they will not be at the j because they are not the cheapest. Around here I have never been to one that had not been within a few cents 9f every one else. Guess we are lucky.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
We don't have to center the big truck nozzle over the smaller pickup fuel nozzle hole, don't have to send someone in to prepay...
I've been to many, many truck stops and have never had an issue where the nozzle was too big for my Ram.

And, if you do go with a Flying J, you can start the pump + get cash pricing with a Pilot/Flying J RVer card.

I won't debate the price as I don't price shop- I go for convenience.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #26
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've been to many, many truck stops and have never had an issue where the nozzle was too big for my Ram.

And, if you do go with a Flying J, you can start the pump + get cash pricing with a Pilot/Flying J RVer card.

I won't debate the price as I don't price shop- I go for convenience.
I'll make sure the truck stop is not $10 more than the one down the highway.. But your right I am for convenience and not needing to get far from the highway. That might mean a few cents more a gallon but that is the price of the convenience!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #27

Could be like the guys on the oil riggs . they help themselves @ the diesel tanks . Know one that hasn`t bought diesel fuel in 20 years. A perk of the job until your caught I guess. I myself use the truck lanes when towing. Most places are poor design for a truck and trailer to get in and out.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #28

Thumbs up I use the truck stop lanes all the time

I drive a F350 with a stock 24gal tank, so when towing I have to fill up about every 230 miles. Last year I took a 6,000 mile trip and fueled in the truck Lanes 90% of the time. I have never had an issue with the large fuel nozzel or high flow rates and the convenience of being able to easily maneuver there is great. I have the Good Sam fueling card for Flying J/Pilot so it is easy to pay at the pump as well. Only time I use the RV lanes is when I need to us the dump station (only twice in two years) and have had to wait longer in that line than I do in the truck lines.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL
2011 F-350 King Ranch 4WD SRW Diesel
Nights Camping in 2017 - 118
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #29

I have an F-250 and a 37' 5ver. I always use truck stops. Flying J or Pilot (same company) preferred because I can use my Good SAMs Discount card for 3 cents a gallon discount. Never have to go in and prepay at J. Have never had them withhold $200? Large nozzle not a problem. Fast, fast,,fast,fuel time. Probably less than a minute and a half for 20+ gallons. Hold the nozzle and slow it down when it gets close to full. The RV pumps in front of the statin are soooo slow. I don't think they never change the inline filters.. Never again to the RV lane.

Truckers don't mind. Just pull up to the line so the next one can pull up. Actually, if the truck stop is busy they will jump in line behind you because they know your not taking on 200 gallons plus and will be out of the way fast.

Then there is DEF. You can buy DEF at the same time. All so convient. Yes, a little more but so what. Convient, fast, no worry in and out.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub22908 View Post
Thanks for the responses. An aux tank would be the perfect solution except that they are probably pretty much permanent installations. I do quite often use every inch of my bed hauling things. But I will do some research on this way of solving the problem. Dan

I have a 100 gallon fuel tank in my Silverado and I have never been in a truck stop. My tank is not permanent, I can take it out with not any problems. I have a B&W hitch and I can have a clean bed in no time. I have a 12 volt pump that pumps 10 gallons a minute. We have to stop every so often anyway and we can stop, use the bathroom, fill up the truck and get something to eat and be gone in about 15 minutes. Try that pulling into a truck stop. I am retired military and I have a PenFed credit card and I get 5% off each dollar if I scan the card. As far as fresh diesel goes I have driven over 150,000 miles and I have never had a problem. Gas Buddy is a good apps to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #31
Who Dares, Wins

I did learn, at least at the Love's, I needed to pump the DEF first then the fuel... Tired the other way around and I needed to go back in and reactivate the pump..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #32
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
We have to stop every so often anyway and we can stop, use the bathroom, fill up the truck and get something to eat and be gone in about 15 minutes. Try that pulling into a truck stop.

If I'm stopping for fuel and potty breaks, 15 minutes is my average for truck stops. Even if we're grabbing some snacks or water refreshes out of the camper, still no extra time.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #33

I almost always use the RV lane unless there is a line then I pull around to the truck lanes. Then I pull over into the RV parking - go inside and look around either have pie and coffee or pickup a ice cream and soft drink. Takes about 30 to 45 minutes but I'm not racing to get somewhere - I'm on vacation and enjoying life and not trying to do Indy pit stop.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #34

The semi pumps are more expensive per gallon because of taxes that truckers have to pay, some states have no tax at pump, you pay per quarter. But they are very convenient, Rv lanes shouldn't have taxes. I always find the lowest pump price when filling my semi cause it's coming out of my pocket

jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

I had heard that. Maybe they deduct it from the price when we use the truck lanes. I thought the ifta sticker was for the taxes.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #36

I have a pilot good Sam card. I always use the truck lanes. Easy in and out.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #37

I'm not sure if they can deduct it from price, though there was only cash or credit price at semi pumps, IFTA sticker just lets everyone know you're registered with the international fuel tax association when you go through weigh stations. There is lots of paperwork and calculations every three months for miles traveled versus gallons purchased in each state, thankfully my wife takes care of all that nonsense

jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #38
Who Dares, Wins

Ok, I guess I just was never in a state with the extra tax. Never paid more than the car lanes. But I have only been through twice at the truck side.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

If I'm stopping for fuel and potty breaks, 15 minutes is my average for truck stops. Even if we're grabbing some snacks or water refreshes out of the camper, still no extra time.

Funny I just don't believe that

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #40

I have a 2005 Silverado hd 6.6 duramax with a 6 1/2 ft bed 25gal tank and also a 45 gal aug tank along with a low profile tool box that has a 12volt pump n hose on drivers side.With this set up we travel for 4or5 hundred miles stop for the night unhook,get a bight to eat and top fuel tanks off. I can have this setup out or installed in about 1/2 hr.I'm also running a flip over goose neck set up as to keep my bed as open as possible.8-12 mpg towing . We've been from Ohio to fla to Louisianan and back to Ohio. As well as Ohio to Louisiana n back several times pulling doubles(boat behind camper).We top off truck at rest stops most of the time.

Tags
diesel