Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
If you haven't done so already, or if this thread is a duplicate please bear with me. Get a Good Scam Pilot\Flying J card. It will save you .06 per gallon on diesel fuel. I don't leave home without it.
I am not a Fan of Pilot/Flying J fuel since most of this is 20% Bio-fuel for sale. This tends to lower my towing mileage as this has less energy content than Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel has. I tend to run no more than 5% Bio-fuel, as this is what Cummins says is acceptable for my year of engine.

When we travel I do advance research on the fuel stations in the area where we will be fueling up. I only stop at stations who do not have high levels of Bio-fuel for sale. I also tend to avoid states that mandate high levels of Bio-Fuel must be sold. One of the reasons for using the "Next Exit" as this list all fueling points along the way.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I've used the truck lanes often when I owned my 2006 VW TDI Jetta Station wagon. It accepted truck nozzles and the truck lanes often were less busy mid-day than the passenger fueling areas.
Both my '99 TDI and my '06 TDI both took the larger truck nozzles, but unfortunately VW went to the smaller nozzle neck size with my '14--not sure when they switched over, but my guess would be 2009 when they introduced the 2.0 CR TDI. Talk about a quick fill-up at a truck lane!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Both my '99 TDI and my '06 TDI both took the larger truck nozzles, but unfortunately VW went to the smaller nozzle neck size with my '14--not sure when they switched over, but my guess would be 2009 when they introduced the 2.0 CR TDI. Talk about a quick fill-up at a truck lane!
Oops, my station wagon TDI was an 04. I later got an 06 Jetta Sedan and by that point they had gone to the smaller nozzle neck size ;-(

There is a 10 year old post on tdiclub.com that shows you how to make your own fuel nozzle adapter from copper plumbing pipe. Easy to do if you know how to sweat pipes and cut them.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #64

My Good Sam club card is scannable at the trucker lanes and then I can pay with a credit card just like normal. They are super easy to get into and out of, there here is hardly ever a wait, and the windshield wash buckets are always clean and full.

2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400R + Diesel Gen
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Flat Tow Equipment
SMI Stay-In-Play Brake Controller
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I have a 50 gal tank/toolbox which might not work for 5ers but works well for me. It was easy to install and is much easier to remove, just 3 bolts and a worm clamp. Electric pump and filter remain attached under the bed.
Yep, I have the same thing and a 5er. Have no problem with it...as someone mentioned earlier it is below the rails. Mine gravity feeds into the filler neck of the tank. With a valve to shut on and off. I usually just keep it open and fill the big tank.

Tags
diesel