Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

diesel fueling

Thinking about getting a diesel 3/4 ton pickup to solve the only 2 things I don't like about RVing. One is going down mountains and the other is manuevering around the gas pumps. I was wondering what it was like using the truck fuel lanes at truck stops. I've never really paid a lot of attention to them so was wondering if a pickup and trailer were "welcome" over there and if there are long waits in line. Seems like it is usually pretty busy over there but maybe it goes fast. What are your experiences with the truck fueling lanes? Thanks
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #2

Some of those truck fuel lanes only allow you to pay with special payment methods. It's not simply pay at the pump.
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #3

Have been driving my Ram diesel since 2007. In all that time I have only used the truck fuel lane once. Most of the truck stops usually have a lane or two for RV's.

Majority of the time I will go to a normal "gas station"; Murphy's (Walmart), Racetrack, etc. with the 5er in tow. I have had no trouble maneuvering at them.

If I can, I will wait until I get to my destination (camp ground), unhook then go fuel up.

Several years ago I went and purchased a 50 gal. auxiliary fuel tank. Has to be one of the top purchases I made related to RV'ing! Between the TV tank and aux tank I have 82 gals of diesel. Now, I fuel up when I want to.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSmitty View Post
Have been driving my Ram diesel since 2007.
Several years ago I went and purchased a 50 gal. auxiliary fuel tank. Has to be one of the top purchases I made related to RV'ing! Between the TV tank and aux tank I have 82 gals of diesel. Now, I fuel up when I want to.

Thanks for the responses. An aux tank would be the perfect solution except that they are probably pretty much permanent installations. I do quite often use every inch of my bed hauling things. But I will do some research on this way of solving the problem. Dan
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub22908 View Post
Thanks for the responses. An aux tank would be the perfect solution except that they are probably pretty much permanent installations. I do quite often use every inch of my bed hauling things. But I will do some research on this way of solving the problem. Dan
Depending on make/model of your truck there are after market tanks that replace the stock tank but hold more fuel. There are various size in bed tanks also.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

I have been using the truck lanes ever since I bought my current 2010 diesel truck and have never had a problem or issue. Along with the truck pumps, many Flying J’s have dedicated RV pumps out front. I love using the truck pumps and not having to worry about cars blocking me in or the height of the canopy over the pumps. When fueling up I never put the pump on automatic shutoff because on the truck side they are high flow pumps and can overflow when pumping into the low volume fuel tanks of pickup trucks. My fuel tank only holds 30.5 gallons.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #7

I never use the truck lanes. In fact, diesel fuel at truck stops is normally 5 to 10 cents higher per gallon than at regular stations. As stated above, look for the larger gas stations and diesel fuel is often on the outside lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #8

We use the truck lanes frequently. Depends on if the gas stations have a dedicated RV lane or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #9
Site Team

Many truck pumps have a larger fuel nozzle that will not fit your fill port. Also as mentioned many of the larger truck stops only accept fuel cards at the truck island.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Always Learning

When towing, I almost exclusively use the truck lanes. Yes, you can't always start the pump- but I either walk in (or more commonly, my wife goes in).

Everyone once in a while, they're jammed and you have to wait for a truck to finish.

Just make sure you follow the procedure of fill up and then pull forward so the next guy can start.

http://www.learntorv.com/2013/11/die...are-great.html
Old 02-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I never use the truck lanes. In fact, diesel fuel at truck stops is normally 5 to 10 cents higher per gallon than at regular stations. As stated above, look for the larger gas stations and diesel fuel is often on the outside lanes.

I have been pulling into truck stops ever since I purchased my 2008 Ram Mega Cab. I am will to pay the additional cost in fuel prices for the convince of using the truck stops. If I worried about every time I purchased fuel with the 5er attached I give up the RV life style. Another point on using major truck stop fueling places is the diesel fuel is fresh do to the large turn over rate of trucks buying diesel.

Most of the time we are traveling to a destination and this could be several days away from us. So we do not un-hook the 5er and for the convince of fueling up we just pull in to the truck stops right off the interstate.

We also use two different books to find diesel fuel in states that we are not familiar with. One is called the Next Exit and the other is called the RV'ERS friend.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post

True...main reason I do not go to the truck stops is the cost. Most of the truck stops through Florida are upwards of 20 cents higher a gallon. As mentioned earlier, I mostly use Murphy...use the Walmart credit card and get an extra 5 cents off a gallon.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #13

I've had a diesel pu since '06 and hardly ever use the truck lanes for a couple of reasons.
--As others have said, fuel prices are generally higher than other stations
--Pump handles, etc tend to be dirtier and more oily in the truck lanes so you smell like you work at the airport
--Truck lane pumps pump FAST and can spill all over the place if you don't watch it.

About zero downside to using the normal pumps IMO.
Byron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Many truck pumps have a larger fuel nozzle that will not fit your fill port. Also as mentioned many of the larger truck stops only accept fuel cards at the truck island.
Found out about the nozzles the hard way. First time I used one of the truck pumps I got the nozzle stuck in the TV... Took me a few minutes to finally get it out.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron in TX View Post
I've had a diesel pu since '06 and hardly ever use the truck lanes for a couple of reasons.
--As others have said, fuel prices are generally higher than other stations
--Pump handles, etc tend to be dirtier and more oily in the truck lanes so you smell like you work at the airport
--Truck lane pumps pump FAST and can spill all over the place if you don't watch it.

About zero downside to using the normal pumps IMO.
I have a pair of leather work gloves that are stored in the door lower storage area. These are used every time I fill up regardless if I am in a truck stop or Meijers or Walmart/Sam's club. I have found even these station have issues with the diesel fuel pump handles. My wife has disposable vinyl gloves in her VW TDI when she fills up her car.

At most truck stops the price paid for fuel depends if it is paid either by cash or credit. With cash be less costly than credit; CASH is king.

Time is money and to me driving around an unfamiliar area with the 5er attached looking for a cheaper station is not worth the hassle and worry about diesel fuel quality. So I will pay the added cost of $0.10 to $0.15 a gallon and be on my way.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I have a pair of leather work gloves that are stored in the door lower storage area. These are used every time I fill up regardless if I am in a truck stop or Meijers or Walmart/Sam's club. I have found even these station have issues with the diesel fuel pump handles. My wife has disposable vinyl gloves in her VW TDI when she fills up her car.

At most truck stops the price paid for fuel depends if it is paid either by cash or credit. With cash be less costly than credit; CASH is king.

Time is money and to me driving around an unfamiliar area with the 5er attached looking for a cheaper station is not worth the hassle and worry about diesel fuel quality. So I will pay the added cost of $0.10 to $0.15 a gallon and be on my way.
I've got a Chase Rewards card. I get cash back (around 5 cents a gallon) not just on fuel but ALL purchases at any fuel/convenience store (so that includes ice, beer, snacks).

Pretty cool....averages about a $100 credit each month that I just apply to my balance and pay off in full each month.
Byron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
So true. I bought a cheap pair of work gloves from Home Depot and always use them - truck stops and regular fuel stations. The diesel pump handles are always dirty.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #18

When we use the RV lanes at Flying J they capture 200.00 on our credit card before fueling. That will remain on your card for 24 to 48 till the correct amount is charged. I have never had problem with it since we carry low balance on our cards but if you only have low credit limit you could hit your credit limit after a couple of fill ups. Since we only have a 27 gallon tank over 2 day period we could get 6 fill ups cost 30 buck each but have 1200 captured on our credit card.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

I wish my fill ups cost... 30bucks!

I use the rv lanes when they have them, I prefer these really. I used the trucks lanes twice now. Had to walk in to prepay.. Sent the DW. I have never seen the price higher for trucks than the car lanes but I have limited experience there. I also carry a 5 gallon fuel can just in case I get to a tight spot. I'd rather fill and dump the can 5 times than hit something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #20

Bah ! Prepay !

Any canuks know how to pay at the pump in the states with a Canadian credit card ?
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel