Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #1

Diesel or Gas?

We just bought our first travel trailer, a 2007 Sierra 301BHD, which is 8,000 lbs. Now we have to buy a truck. We are looking for a used one.

I know that I need a 3/4 ton. It's the engine that I'm unsure about. I'm sure that a diesel would be better but would a gasoline engine be adequate. We don't plan to travel through mountains but it would be nice to have the option.

I'm sure this is elementary to the experienced RVer but please be patient with this newbie. Would someone guide me in the right direction?

Jorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #2

Both one would do the job and I have owned both, currently have a diesel. You will get better mileage with a diesel and a smother power band start, stop when trailering (i.e. backing into a spot or pulling out due to less gas pedal required). Since you are looking at used if you decide to go diesel I’d suggest you stick with a Chevy Duramax, otherwise you need to do specific research into the year of vehicle you are looking at as some had issues in the past (early and mid 2000's). If you go gas I'd also stay away from the 4.1 rear gears as the trade off of power vs. mileage will hurt more than help in your case unless you plan to use a boat ramp to launch and retrieve your TT . Good luck in your search.
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

I agree with what camper lucy said and also would like to add that we bought our diesel with the for thought that we would be upgrading our trailer to a fifth wheel (which we did last year). So keep in mind what you might need in the future. the truck will outlast your trailer in my opinion so might as well make it capable of hauling anything you might want to buy later. I would also like to add that a long bed is in my opinion the best way to go also.

Jon Breen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

This has been beat to death several times, so I 'll just say:

Diesel.

Cummins, Powerstroke or Duramax.

Carefully evaluate the transmission choices also. It's equally as important (maybe more) as the engine choice......IE: standard, auto, Allison, etc....

Finally, make sure you take into account the CGVWR, GRAWR, GVWR, etc ratings when matching your tow vehicle to the trailer.

Cheers

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #5

Knowing what I know now after buying an '09 Chevy 2500 HD with the 6.0 gasser, 3:73 gears I wish I would have spent the money and bought the diesel. I hate getting 7 to 9 mpg pulling my TT and 16 without!!
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #6

If you want a gasser try (you will find it hard) to find a late model Ford V10. The Ford 6.0 diesel has a reputation as a problem child, the Ford 6.4 diesel somewhat as a problem child. Haven't heard anything bad about the Duramax or Cummings.

My 2010 F250 5.4L does great with my trailer and I love it, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything above 7,500 lbs.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #7

We started camping in Oct 2010 with our Salem29FKDS and a 2007 Ford Expidition, After our first 2600 mile 3 week trip we found out we were so close to having the tow rig overloaded...and some very poor MPG in a head wind mostly....We bit the bullit and bought a 2011 Ford F350 Dually.
Knowing we might have gone off the deep end with the current trailer but the idea was we might want to upgrade to a 5er someday...We will be ready with the truck.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #8

Thanks to all for the advise.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #9

Jorman,
Here's my 2 cents...Go diesel.
Better reliability, better MPG, more torque, LOTS of aftermarket option to make extra power, (IE, tuners, exhaust, filters, etc.).
I towed with gas for 14 years. After the first season with a diesel, I knew I would NEVER go back.
JMHO

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #10

A diesel will return generally better fuel economy both towing and non towing. A diesel will return better resale in the future. A diesel will move your load easier in any and all situations. But please for all of us diesel people get a gas motor. We don't need more people fighting for the available diesel.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #11

Gas Vs. Diesel. A quick Google search netted this...

Gas vs. Diesel Comparison Review Article - Truck Trend

@ donn...since gasoline is just diesel, but with WAY more refining, do we want more gas engines out there, or more diesel? (Kinda like the whole chicken/egg debate!)

For those that are curious, here's the Wiki page on Diesel Fuel...

Diesel fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #12

Funny, we were almost in the same boat. Started camping with a trailer about the same time with a 09 F150 with a new 31' 2011 travel trailer. Felt the same way about being maxed out.

Have on order a 2011 F350 diesel, single rear axle though..

Bring on the spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
We started camping in Oct 2010 with our Salem29FKDS and a 2007 Ford Expidition, After our first 2600 mile 3 week trip we found out we were so close to having the tow rig overloaded...and some very poor MPG in a head wind mostly....We bit the bullit and bought a 2011 Ford F350 Dually.
Knowing we might have gone off the deep end with the current trailer but the idea was we might want to upgrade to a 5er someday...We will be ready with the truck.
wayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #13

I started with a 2007 1/2-ton Chevy with the 6.0 gasser and a 3.73 rear end. I pulled a 2008 28 ft Jayco TT, which grossed out at approx. 8000 lbs. It was adequate and I was well within the limits of the tow vehicle, but I felt like I needed the power and torque of a diesel on longer trips. Right after the new year, I upgraded to a 2011 Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.6L Duramax. What an incredible difference! Fast forward to yesterday, and I took delivery of a new fifth wheel. I can tow 16,700 lbs with a fifth wheel hitch, and this truck is simply a towing beast. Integrated brake controller and exhaust brake to boot. I can now use cruise control while towing, something I could not do with the gas engine. Over hills on the interstate, the Duramax doesn't even shift gears. Over the same terrain, the gas engine would downshift into second and roar like a tiger. The diesel purrs like a kitten while pushing out 765 ft-lbs of torque. There is no comparison between the two types of engines for towing a trailer. You won't be sorry if you go the diesel route. Yes, fuel and maintenance costs are higher. The net result is well worth it, in my humble opinion.
alohanole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
Grape Escape

Alot depends how many miles you plan to drive it,tow with it, keep it. For our situation I have absolutely no regrets having bought a new Ford V10 gasser.
It tows our 12,000# 5th wheel with ease, is driven to work 10 miles each day, used to pull trailer 50 days a year, much better driveability for short distances, ease of service, just start and drive,.
Payback for deisel would take 10 yrs plus in our case.
If we were retired and towing cross country a deisel would make more sense but not for the less than 10,000 miles we put on a year
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #15

I often hear a lot of talk about cost of diesels and the need to keep them for extended periods to pay for them.

Well, it's kind of a half truth IMO.

A diesel does demand a premium over a gasser at purchase. No arguement there. But, it also demands a premium over a gasser when you sell it. This added in with the fuel savings during ownership, make the price difference pretty small. I've often come out ahead of the game buying/owning/selling a diesel over what the same truck as a gasser would have been.

People often mention the increased service costs.
True, there is more oil in a diesels crankcase. The difference is about 20 bucks per oil change.
A diesel also doesn't require spark plugs. Although with 100,000 mile gasser plugs these days it's not so much a factor.
Gas and diesel both require fuel and oil filter changes, not much difference there. Maybe 20 bucks at each change in the diffence at most.

People cite diesels as "noisy". Modern diesels are pretty quiet. Not as quiet as a gasser in day to day driving, but not far off. The last Duramax I drove was so quiet, I had to actually listen for the diesel noise in the cab. Having a normal conversation standing by the hood was no problem. The newest Fords are supposed to be even quieter than the 'Max. And there's the better MPG to help make you feel better about the very light "clatter" if you do hear it. I'm maybe a bit of a throwback, I like my diesel clatter a bit louder. My 98 IDI 6.5 TD makes a wonderous cacophony of sound! I bought a diesel dad-gum-it! I want it to sound like a diesel!

Finding diesel fuel is often cited as a PITA. I've never had a problem finding diesel. On the highway or in town. It may have been an issue 20-30 years ago when most diesels were just over the road trucks, but the increase in light duty truck diesels and diesel power cars (vw being the big one in NA) have made diesel pumps common.

Only problem I've ever had with diesel is getting that bloody 35 foot trailer to fit in a tiny gas station parking lot. But that's the same with a gasser.

At the end of the dayit's a personal decision based on your specific use.

You can tow with a gasser, no question about it. If I were planing only shorter hauls and light loads, it might make more sense.

But a diesel makes towing heavier loads longer distances a much more relaxed and enjoyable affair. Better MPG is just gravy.

I also find the extra weight in a diesel truck a bonus when controlling the trailer. Diesels are a fair bit heavier than a gasser truck. I find it helps when 8000 lbs are trying to "push it around". Of course, that extra weight can also cut into the trucks payload and there's an MPG penalty for extra weight. This is usually countered by the diesels ecomony anyways.

I'm slanted towards diesels for towing, but a gasser can be a fine choice also. I wouldn't turn my nose up at a good deal on a gasser, but it would be for uses other than towing for me. You just have to get the right gasser for your particular towing job.

Your greenbacks, your call.....

Husky Centerline Hitch
Old 01-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #16

When I was buying my Dodge I was going to get the Cummings but the salesman talked me into the Hemi. He pointed out the higher priced oil changes, the fuel filter changes, the noise, the odor, the higher price to buy and with diesel a dollar a gallon more the operating cost was the same. He also said they take a long time to generate heat, a big factor in Minnesota. A few years ago we were pulling our 7,000# camper through the Teatons at about 10,000 feet with the foot to the floor and the speed was dropping. I was really wishing I had gone for the Cummings! Now I am looking at the 16 spark plugs that need changing.
The Hemi likes my new lighweight trailer but towing our old one was a chore. With the torque peak at 4,000 RPM and a tranny that likes to shift before 3,000 it takes a lot of fun out of towing. Next time I will be buying a diesel.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #17

Cummins, not Cummings!

Little bit different meaning there.....

Husky Centerline Hitch
Old 01-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #18

Thanks for all the good information. For the next few years I doubt that we will tow more than 6,000 miles per year. However, I am going to try to go with the diesel. I have found a couple of 2008 F-250's,both with the 6.4L Turbo Diesel. One has 2WD and the other 4WD. Decisions, Decisions.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #19

Jorman,
Before you jump on any of the used Fords out there do your homework. Ford has had nothing but headaches with their outsourced diesel motors since the 7.3L dies way back when. The 6.0 was horrible and generally speaking the 6.4 was not a heck of a lot better. It only lasted a couple of years only to be replaced by Fords latest in house creation. Which I understand is pretty good. You would IMHO be far better off looking for a used Dodge Cummins 5.9L or a Duramax.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Amazing but true.

I am at a campground where there are THREE 15,000 pound Montanas and a Big Country rig (guessing about 14,000 pounds) all being pulled by 3/4 ton diesels (3 Chevy/GMC and one Dodge 2500). Talking with the Montana guy next to me (who has the identical truck as mine) he says he has no problems pulling in the mountains of New York and PA and gets about the same mileage as me pulling my 9200 pound camper. I asked him if he had ever weighted it and the answer was, "No, why should I?" Without a good answer, and drinking his beer at the time, I just said "wow, maybe I can upsize my camper when I am ready to trade." To which he pulled two more beers out of the cooler.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote