Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #81

So I've decided to go with a gas model of one of these 2 trucks. Either the 6.2 ford or the 6.0 chev/gmc any info on either of these would be great.
Aquaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #82

6.2.....There are several problems popping up from the past few years of the GM motor. Burns oil really badly.

Husky 16K slider hitch.

New Trailer 2013 Wildcat 344QB Touring Edition with angled master bed.
Greenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #83

my first GM 3/4 was a 04 CC 4x with the 6.0 and 3.73 ,I loved it and it towed great but with 7-10k behind it lacked the power, the current truck is night and day towing all the way up to 22k GCWR

greenfield nice trailer!!!!

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #84
Denver, CO

Gm are the best.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #85
Wanna Be Camper

I cannot answer to the GM package so I won't go to the one is better than the other thing. I am quite impressed so far with my 6.2 w 3.73 gears as it will haul 8000lbs around with no lugging on acceleration at all. With hill start assist, trailer sway control etc the Super Duty 6.2's were made to haul. The 6.2 motor is designed from the ground up as a truck motor not a passenger car engine pushed into truck duty so it has the classic short stroke big bore design of the big block 429/460 of the past. THey get decent mileage for a 385hp engine in a 7300+ lb truck and the 6 speed auto box is a gem with the full manual mode and a t/h that really works, just tap the brake pedal and it downshifts and compression brakes very effectively. I posted these links before but I will do it again.
1: Pickup truck's shoot out.
PickupTrucks.com - Special Reports

(16% Grade run)The 6.2-liter V-8 ran up the hill a full 5 seconds and almost 5 mph faster than its next closest competitor, the Silverado. Its rpm seemed to pick up faster than the Hemi’s or the Vortec’s, and it was so fast that it shifted into second gear during one run, though it lost about 1,000 rpm and immediately downshifted. During the other sprints, the F-250 remained exclusively in first gear to top of the hill approaching near redline. The whole run the F-250 howled like a muscle car, not a three-quarter-ton truck with a combined weight of more than 17,000 pounds

2: 2011 Ford Super Duty F350 New 6.2L V8 Towing 10,000 lbs. With 5 Star tuner. (Diesel guys won't appreciate the music but that engine sings like the old days of big block muscle cars)

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #86

As a complete newbie to the forum I'll say this...you guys are a wealth of knowledge. Varying perspectives but that is a good thing because its thought provoking.

So much so that I've decided to slow my roll and just look for now. When the right combination (tv/rv/or both) comes along, I'll specifically know what to look for; what to consider when making my decision; and any conditional provisions that will apply to my usage. Might happen tomorrow or it might be next year.

I cannot thank you guys enough. This thread alone provided real world scenarios to consider. The more I've read, the more it's become obvious that I'm so far down the learning curve that I didn't even know the correct questions to ask.

This has been a very visual example of Maslow's Learning Curve (or GTI model).

Again, thank you all!!!

V-Dub
2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide CVO - V&H HO's & PC-V
V-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote