Old 01-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
one thing that i think ram has over the others is the ability to fill the def next to the diesel neck. i beleive GM fills the def under the hood?
Yes, on the passenger side under the hood. Along the firewall. An inconvenient location. Especially since I have a 4x4 (stock), and at 5'9", it is within my reach, but not much more.

I understand maybe the reasoning of preventing a possible fill from the wrong nozzle, but with different sizes, it really shouldn't be that big of an issue. It would be sooooo much better if it was like the Ram, or any medium duty diesel trucks. I mean, how many truck stops have the DEF nozzle on the right side?

Mark

Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #62

It would be better if we didn't need DEF at all! Love my truck anyway. Just need the DW to retire so we could start using it more often and for longer longer trips.

2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
It would be better if we didn't need DEF at all! Love my truck anyway. Just need the DW to retire so we could start using it more often and for longer longer trips.

No you don't. DEF and the technology that uses DEF is far better than the diesel emission technology we had on these trucks before DEF. Regeneration of the DPF filter and the fuel dilution that can take place plus the consist heavy use of the exhaust gas recirculating into the air intake is hard on these engines.

I agree no emission controls would be great but we can't go back in time. So, the technology that uses DEF for now is the best we have.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #64
Prime Member

The answer isn't getting rid of the DEF system but rather improving it. I certainly don't mind paying a bit more so my truck pollutes a bit less. Pre-DEF diesels STINK.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #65
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Yes, on the passenger side under the hood. Along the firewall. An inconvenient location. Especially since I have a 4x4 (stock), and at 5'9", it is within my reach, but not much more.

I understand maybe the reasoning of preventing a possible fill from the wrong nozzle, but with different sizes, it really shouldn't be that big of an issue. It would be sooooo much better if it was like the Ram, or any medium duty diesel trucks. I mean, how many truck stops have the DEF nozzle on the right side?

Mark
I know I am in the minority here but I like the fill under the hood. I buy the 2 1/2 gal jugs and just set it on the air filter box, bend the provided tube down into the fill tube and tip the jug back and let it fill. As it emptys then I just lift it up to finish out the rest.
But I'm strange

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
I know I am in the minority here but I like the fill under the hood. I buy the 2 1/2 gal jugs and just set it on the air filter box, bend the provided tube down into the fill tube and tip the jug back and let it fill. As it emptys then I just lift it up to finish out the rest.
But I'm strange
That is what I do, but it would sure be nice to just use the hose at the truck stop pump, and do both at the same time when needed. With a lot less fuss.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #67

Ford F250, 5.7 power stroke has the DEF fill next to its fuel fill.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #68

I prefer to fill the DEF tank at the pump after filling the fuel tank. Much easier ~ no stretch or climbing.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #69
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
That is what I do, but it would sure be nice to just use the hose at the truck stop pump, and do both at the same time when needed. With a lot less fuss.

Mark
I will concede that if I filled up at truck stops/businesses that had def pumps I might feel different, but considering there are zero stations anywhere in my area with them and this is my daily driver, I prefer NOT to hold a 2.5 gal jug when I add Def.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
No you don't. DEF and the technology that uses DEF is far better than the diesel emission technology we had on these trucks before DEF. Regeneration of the DPF filter and the fuel dilution that can take place plus the consist heavy use of the exhaust gas recirculating into the air intake is hard on these engines.

I agree no emission controls would be great but we can't go back in time. So, the technology that uses DEF for now is the best we have.

I don’t mind paying more for the def fluid I just want the def to work like it’s supposed too. I have any more problems with def on my Silverado the def is coming off. It will probably be my last truck anyway and where I live at the state doesn’t do a emission test.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel