Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #11

On the older Dodge's tow haul holds gears longer on the up shifts. It also will allow the torque converter to lock in both 3rd and 4 gear (vice only 4th). It will downshift sooner while slowing but only to match gears to road speed. Due to the lack of intake vacuum diesel's don't engine brake naturally like gas engines. It is very easy to over speed a diesel while downshifting if its not equipt with an engine or exhaust brake.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #12

With the price of used 3/4 ton trucks you can buy a 1 ton dually for about the same money. The dually really helps pulling a 5th wheel when the winds are bad. Most of the newer diesels have engine brakes on them. The chevy that we use (its my mother in laws truck)has the engine brake that engages when the speed control is on. when the truck goes downhill the engine brake kicks in. duallys are more stable just gotta be careful with the outside wheels. just my 2 cents..

Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #13

i would check the clearance of the 3/4 between bed and trailer. my first trailer rode too close to the bed and i did hit it a couple times.
when buying used, check the maintaince. i would make sure the oil was changed timely and the radiator maintaince was performed when required. one problem diesel engines have is pin holes in the cyclender walls due to cavation. there is a additive for this. my 2002 used a gold anti freeze that requires change out every 100000 (it had the addative in it). i don't believe this is unique to Ford. Ford talks abt it in the owners manual. they put it in a kind of sugar coated terms.
i did loose an engine on a 92 and received a notice 2 mos after i replaced it. ford said they had experienced a few premature failures due to poor radiator maintenance.
my 2002 had its first maintenance problem last summer; the alternator went out. now i have porblem #2, the starter selanoid needs replacing ($30). i have abt 150000 on it.
personally, i would stay away form one that has been reprogrammed. but that is just me.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #14

my 06 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 gets 23 mpg empty and 15 towing my rockwood 8293rkss fully loaded. this is with 2 adults and a bed full of firewood.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #15

I would stay clear of any 6.x diesel Ford. They require a lot of maintenance and buying a used one (IMHO) means you need one that the PO did maintenance properly. The market has tons of 6.x diesels out there for this reason. Get the older 7 l engine and you'll be fine.

I researched the crap out of the 6.x and also tried to be a 3/4 gasser but nobody is trading these in, in good condition. At least around here. I ended up spending an extra 10K more (than I wanted to) and got a brand new EB F-150 with the max tow for around 26K (after trade). 9K can be handled by that truck but it's into the upper range of it's capabilities.

Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailit View Post
No matter what, don't get a diesel that has been chipped. I use the Tow/Haul feature for going down grades and it works great with a 13k + 5er pushing you down the hill.
I don't have a chip, but I did get a programmer. It has put my 3500 to 25 mpg, decreased the oil change frequency to 12,000km. At the same time I did not increase horse power, just improved injector timing.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #17

Not sure of earlier model Fords...but my 2011 F350 Dually in tow/haul mode really works great helping to slow down the rig in the hills. The first time it really worked for me was going south out of Springfield, MO going to Branson. There are some really good hills there and we never felt any discomfort at all in maintaining control of the rig.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #18

I agree with BOBFIDY, the tow/haul mode on the Ford works great on steep grades. It's very easy to control the speed of the truck going downhill.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #19

sure do like the way my 2008 dodge cummings tows my wildcat 31TS exaust brake and 6 speed automatic. I have always been a CMC person, however cummings does a great job
Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
Not sure of earlier model Fords...but my 2011 F350 Dually in tow/haul mode really works great helping to slow down the rig in the hills. The first time it really worked for me was going south out of Springfield, MO going to Branson. There are some really good hills there and we never felt any discomfort at all in maintaining control of the rig.
Holy Cow! No kidding! Those are some very steep hills. There's another one in Branson around the corner from the old amusement park too. Just thought I'd say that.