Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
Thanks All,

You have given me a lot to think about. My conclusion is that to get the ideal truck, I should buy a Ford, a Dodge, and a Chevy. I should strip the engine and tranny out of the Ford and throw them away. Then I should replace them with the Cummins engine and Allison transmission. Finally, I should add an exhaust brake.

In a more practical sense, I'll just have to settle for a reasonable compromise. I sense that I should look for a 5.9L Chevy/GMC in the '05 - '07 era. Damn, those are hard to find.

Joel
Joel.....Just buy what YOU look best in...LOLOL.....As for me...I look good in my F350.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Long post warning

The difference in the cost of fuel is not an issue if you think about it.

I believe most folks use premium in their gas trucks while towing and the delta between gas and diesel is very small. The real issue is how much you use your truck for towing. The more you tow and the longer you plan on keeping your truck; the more the diesel makes sense.

For the purpose of this example I will use regular gas and diesel prices off the sign down the street.

20 gallons of regular gas @ 3.89 = 77.80
20 gallons of diesel @ 4.17 = 83.40
A "delta" of $ 5.60

Now drive that 20 gallons @ an average MPG of 9 MPG gas truck and 12 MPG diesel truck.

Gas truck = 180 miles
Diesel truck = 240 miles

The diesel truck goes 60 miles further on that fill up. The $ 5.60 you saved at the pump could have bought you an extra 1.44 gallons of gas. This would have taken you an additional 13 miles.

So if you add that to the 180 miles for an apples-apples comparison, you get 193 miles on an constant dollar basis. So, with diesel you basically get 45 miles "free" with every 20 gallon fill up.

Now, the diesel will cost you about 6,000 dollars more in a new truck than the standard gas engine (about 4,000 more than the V-10 option).

At an average cost of $4.00 a gallon now, 45 miles @ 12MPG saves you 3.75 gallons or 15 dollars per 20 gallon fill up. If you fill up once a week; every week; that is 52x15 dollars or 780 dollars saved per year (this has to be offset with higher maintenance costs for diesel engines of say 200 dollars more in oil and fuel/oil filter changes) or 580 bucks in savings.

You would need to operate the diesel truck for 10 years to break even on the standard truck/diesel truck comparison and 7 years on the V-10 example.

Non-towing the mileage is about the same city/highway so the diesel does not pay if you don't tow. Now, 20 miles a week average towing is pretty low for most of us. The more you tow the less years to break even.

Also this is also based on 4 dollar average cost of gas/diesel. If fuel prices go UP and the delta between regular and diesel stays relatively the same; payoff in years plummets the fuel cost climbs.

I have ignored "driveability and towability" as well as "easier to find gas pumps than diesel pumps" and many other factors that go into this tough decision. If you trade your truck after 3 years, diesel does not make sense at all, IMO.

Besides diesels are just "cool" and who can put a price tag on that?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
Not sure of earlier model Fords...but my 2011 F350 Dually in tow/haul mode really works great helping to slow down the rig in the hills. The first time it really worked for me was going south out of Springfield, MO going to Branson. There are some really good hills there and we never felt any discomfort at all in maintaining control of the rig.
I will second this! That is the exact spot I really noticed how well my tow/haul mode works.

Don't sweat all the worries about the 6.4L from those non-owners. Change the oil/filters regularly, and it will serve you well for a long time. The Dodge may get slightly better fuel economy, but the Ford will be MUCH more comfortable, and at 70, I would take the comfort. Good luck on your choice!

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl
Thanks All,

You have given me a lot to think about. My conclusion is that to get the ideal truck, I should buy a Ford, a Dodge, and a Chevy. I should strip the engine and tranny out of the Ford and throw them away. Then I should replace them with the Cummins engine and Allison transmission. Finally, I should add an exhaust brake.

In a more practical sense, I'll just have to settle for a reasonable compromise. I sense that I should look for a 5.9L Chevy/GMC in the '05 - '07 era. Damn, those are hard to find.

Joel
I fully agree on the GMs being hard to find when I was looking, this has to tell you something. I could of settled for one of the others cause they are easier to find but decided to go with the new truck instead. What ever you do you'll love having the diesel for towing.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #35

Hi guys I tow rv's for a living and I can tell you that any Ford with the 6.0 is having a lot of problems with the EGR and The Oil Cooler this is the same on most newer trucks due to the newer emissions on these engines. From all the drives where I pull from here is the low down of what has been happening Dodge Tranny problems at 35,000 miles Rear end problems about the same time 70,000 egr cooler and oil coolers going out Ford 350 oil cooler and egr around 80,000 GMC best over all injectors at 250,000 My self I run a 2001 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 and have 220,000 miles with no issues as yet ( mine is a 6.0 gas engine also and still keeps up pretty well with all the others out there). I tow all over USA and Canada up to a 39 ft 5th wheel camper and personally have a Cardinal 3625 38 1/2 ft 5th wheel this thing weighs 13,000 lb empty. When checking trucks for tow ask what the combined weight it can have and then you will know better what it will do for you'
Old 03-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #36

If it fits your budget, you can get the best of all worlds here:
Destroked - THE Cummins Conversion Company : Home Page
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #37

I have a 2007 Dodge 2500 with the 6.7 and have had no problems. Maintenance is sometimes high. I use the engine brake and love it, I will not own another truck without one. I pull my 30 ft TT and get 9 to 11 mpg, and 14-15 in town. The only problem I had was an O2 sensor and after talking to some people who have had the dodge diesel and the service department is "drive it hard and do not baby it". I have not had an O2 sensor since I have quit babying the truck which I was guilty of.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #38

Besides Diesels are cool

I could not agree more Herk

Hijacker double pivot slider
hatstomper is offline   Reply With Quote