Old 03-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #11

I usually buy a kit from Genos Garage.

'13-'16 Ram Cummins Filter Maintenance Kit

Four oil and two sets of filters.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #12

My Ford Powerstroke is B20 compatible. We have a lot of Biodeisel up here, if you go to the CoOp they are 20% as they support farmers. Never heard any issues with using it.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #13

My GMC Dually is B20 compatible also.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #14

In my old truck (an F250 Powerstroke 7.3L, 2002 model) I ran a bio mix regularly which the big "L" truck stop on my way to work sold. It is advertised as an "up to" 20% bio. I never had a single issue with it, including fuel filters, which I changed yearly at first. Toward the end of my 13 year ownership of that truck, they were lucky to get changed every other year because I never had an issue with any of them. I do occasionally add "Power Service" diesel fuel conditioner to my tank. Maybe a few times a year, mostly in winter.

Now my owners manual for my new F350 Powerstroke says that if I use bio to increase my engine oil weight from my normal 15W-40 to a 20W-50. The service people at my Ford dealer had never heard of this and continue to use the 15W-40 Motorcraft. The diesel forums suggest that the issue may be engine oil dilution because of the bio mix but I never experienced that issue that I could tell on my old truck. I would suggest that if you think it could be an issue, then send an oil sample out when you change to whatever oil lab you prefer and get it analyzed. I do this regularly just to monitor the condition of my engines and for peace of mind.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #15

Here in California I burn Propel 100% plant based diesel in my 2005 6.0 F-350. As for bio diesel that's all I could find in MN and some southern states. If yo go on Flying J website you will find that all their stations use between 5 and 20 percent bio diesel. You can't get away from the stuff. I always add Lucas with every fill up except Propel because it's already in theirs.
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:32 PM   #16

Why would you put that junk in your rv what's the up side to it I can tell you the down side if it gets cold it's no going to flow
What rocket scientist is in charge of the mixture at the filling station ?
Old 03-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #17

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I was getting 12 and 13 MPG for the last few years using Murphy diesel at Wal Marts across the country since Wal Marts are so available.....the pumps read. "May contain up to 15% bio diesel." A friend told me to stop using it and find diesel where it says..."Contains up to 5% diesel." I started getting 15 and 16 MPG. I'm totally convinced that it affects your mileage. Absolutely no doubt in my mind. Try it and see for yourself. I also change my fuel filters every other oil change.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
I was getting 12 and 13 MPG for the last few years using Murphy diesel at Wal Marts across the country since Wal Marts are so available.....the pumps read. "May contain up to 15% bio diesel." A friend told me to stop using it and find diesel where it says..."Contains up to 5% diesel." I started getting 15 and 16 MPG. I'm totally convinced that it affects your mileage. Absolutely no doubt in my mind. Try it and see for yourself. I also change my fuel filters every other oil change.

I have seen that on some pumps in Myrtle Beach at Murphy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:05 AM   #19

Problem with B20 and anything above B5 is OIL POLYMERIZATION that can occur in any modern diesel that has a diesel particulate filter that undergoes regeneration.

Durting DPF regeneration, fuel is injected into the exhaust during the exhaust stroke. Some of the fuel always leaks past the rings. Fuel that is high in biodiesel can mix and dilute your engine oil causing it to be less effective and requiring more frequent oil changes. In some cases the biodiesel component can interact and cause the additives in the oil to do some nasty things, i.e. polyermize.

Biodiesel Magazine - The Latest News and Data About Biodiesel Production

A tank or two when you on a long trip won't hurt much but regular use should be avoided at that high level. I personally like to mix to B5 level which lubricates the fuel, keeps everything clean in the fuel system, increases cetaine, and cleans a little burner but not noticeable with a DPF installed.

Tags
diesel, truck