Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #1

Diesel trucks and fuel (bio-diesel) ??

So I have seen this discussed but most recently specifically for Mercedes MH.

My manual says to not use over 5% bio diesel unless it has been modified for up to 20%. I don't know if it has, and when I called my dealer, he asked the diesel mechanic who said don't use the 20%. It was so quick, that was his opinion.

My issue is that when towing you don't have the luxury of hitting multiple stations just to make sure you find 5% or less diesel fuel.

I actually went to the Cummins turbo diesel forum and the last post I seen (from 2012 per so) said to quit talking about it. Not the info I am looking for...

Is it a big deal to occasionally put in 'up to' 20% bio diesel? I still don't know if mine has the modified for up to 20%.

This is my first diesel and I have ~4100 miles. 2015 Ram 6.7

What do you all do?
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I though I read someone posting some time ago it would just clock the fuel filter faster...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #3

I pull into a truck stop and fuel up with the big rigs, never think about bio diesel and the percentages. Haven`t had any issues yet. Happy traveling .
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #4

Just buy Low Sulfur and keep trucking......
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #5

I've run 100% homemade for a few years with no problems. Only problems were filters getting clogged the first few tanks. The bio cleaned all the crap out of my tank. Now that I have a hard time finding use cooking oil I don't it much anymore. Get on a good diesel forum and read about it. If done properly it is better in lubing the system. Just not to good on the cold
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #6

I've ran it in my 12 2500 CTD about 3 times. Never actually filled the tank completely with it though. Once I only put about 10 gals in and the last two I probably put about 20 gals in. Truck holds 36 or so gals IIRC. Have not had one problem from doing that.
One time when I was at the dealer and talking with the service tech I asked him the same question. His answer was that he thought it was more for the DPF getting clogged than anything else and to make sure you keep an eye on your fuel filter. He also suggested that the fuel filter would probably need to be change more often since the 20% will clean all the built up crud and the filter will get filled with it.
I run a dual Cat filter setup as well as the OEM, so I have 3 filters. I have about 5-6000 miles on the truck since changing filters. I have about 2000 miles on it since running 20 gals of 20% thru it. Still runs the same. I have no problems running 20% if needed. But I won't run 20% on a regular basis.

This from the Cummins site.
http://cumminsengines.com/biodiesel-faq

Is B20 approved for the Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel?
Cummins approves the use of up to B20 in the Dodge Ram trucks for municipal, government, and commercial fleets only. This applies to selected model year vehicles. Please consult Chrysler for specific requirements and approved vehicle models.

Not sure what the difference is between a comm fleet, government truck or a standard Ram bought off the dealer lot.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:33 PM   #7

I ran b100 in my 2007.5 Duramax lmm with dpf delete. Ran it for a year until the supplier quit selling it. Like others mentioned it will clean the crud out and you may need to Change filters sooner until the system is flushed. I had no problems and the truck is still fine 3 yrs later on regular diesel. I swear the truck ran quieter and also the exhaust did not stink. The b100 I was running was mustard seed oil.

2014 Rockwood 8311SS
Alberta8311ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #8

My owner’s manual also states not to use fuel with more than 5% bio-diesel. Unfortunately there have been more than a few times that I didn’t have a choice. I always hate seeing that little blue sticker. To date it hasn’t caused a problem so I don’t get as uptight as I used to get when I knew I was pumping a higher percentage of bio-diesel.

My advice is to follow the maintenance schedule for towing faithfully. For my truck that means changing both fuel filters every 10,000 miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4612 - Copy.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	101886

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #9

Maybe I shouldn't worry about it too much. I'm not going to be able to control it when towing and need to fuel up anyway.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #10

OK, I will weigh in on this also. First you have a Cummins 6.7L diesel engine and that engine manufacture recommends the use of Nanonet Fuel Filter of a 3 micron size part number FS53000. Ram has also installed a RACOR primary filter on the chassis that is a fuel/water separator part number PFF54529. I would purchase one of each and carry them as spares you will never know when the in-use filters will plug. And per MURPHY's LAW it will be at the least convenient time out in the middle of nowhere.

Also I would changed them every year or 15,000 miles what ever comes first. Filters are cheap compared to a fuel system issues that could require new injectors and a common rail, along with the engine fuel pump do to debris in the fuel. Keep all fuel receipts to prove if the station was at fault for bad fuel as this will show up really quick on the truck.

The problem with 20% bio-fuel is the ability to attract and retain moisture and the debris that could be in the fuel. That is why Ram installed the RACOR fuel/water separator on the chassis in 2013.5 MY trucks. If you go to high volume diesel fuel dealers such as major truck stops that turns fuel over fast you may be alright in using 20% bio-fuel.

On my 08 RAM I have two fuel filters for the diesel fuel. The engine mounted one which is a 5 micron and than a secondary filter, before the engine mounted fuel pump and after the engine mounted fuel filter. This one is 2 micron filter. Both of these are changed out yearly or 15,000 miles which every comes first.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #11

I usually buy a kit from Genos Garage.

'13-'16 Ram Cummins Filter Maintenance Kit

Four oil and two sets of filters.
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to B and B
My Ford Powerstroke is B20 compatible. We have a lot of Biodeisel up here, if you go to the CoOp they are 20% as they support farmers. Never heard any issues with using it.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #13

My GMC Dually is B20 compatible also.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #14

In my old truck (an F250 Powerstroke 7.3L, 2002 model) I ran a bio mix regularly which the big "L" truck stop on my way to work sold. It is advertised as an "up to" 20% bio. I never had a single issue with it, including fuel filters, which I changed yearly at first. Toward the end of my 13 year ownership of that truck, they were lucky to get changed every other year because I never had an issue with any of them. I do occasionally add "Power Service" diesel fuel conditioner to my tank. Maybe a few times a year, mostly in winter.

Now my owners manual for my new F350 Powerstroke says that if I use bio to increase my engine oil weight from my normal 15W-40 to a 20W-50. The service people at my Ford dealer had never heard of this and continue to use the 15W-40 Motorcraft. The diesel forums suggest that the issue may be engine oil dilution because of the bio mix but I never experienced that issue that I could tell on my old truck. I would suggest that if you think it could be an issue, then send an oil sample out when you change to whatever oil lab you prefer and get it analyzed. I do this regularly just to monitor the condition of my engines and for peace of mind.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #15

Here in California I burn Propel 100% plant based diesel in my 2005 6.0 F-350. As for bio diesel that's all I could find in MN and some southern states. If yo go on Flying J website you will find that all their stations use between 5 and 20 percent bio diesel. You can't get away from the stuff. I always add Lucas with every fill up except Propel because it's already in theirs.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #16

Why would you put that junk in your rv what's the up side to it I can tell you the down side if it gets cold it's no going to flow
What rocket scientist is in charge of the mixture at the filling station ?
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #17

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I was getting 12 and 13 MPG for the last few years using Murphy diesel at Wal Marts across the country since Wal Marts are so available.....the pumps read. "May contain up to 15% bio diesel." A friend told me to stop using it and find diesel where it says..."Contains up to 5% diesel." I started getting 15 and 16 MPG. I'm totally convinced that it affects your mileage. Absolutely no doubt in my mind. Try it and see for yourself. I also change my fuel filters every other oil change.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
I was getting 12 and 13 MPG for the last few years using Murphy diesel at Wal Marts across the country since Wal Marts are so available.....the pumps read. "May contain up to 15% bio diesel." A friend told me to stop using it and find diesel where it says..."Contains up to 5% diesel." I started getting 15 and 16 MPG. I'm totally convinced that it affects your mileage. Absolutely no doubt in my mind. Try it and see for yourself. I also change my fuel filters every other oil change.

I have seen that on some pumps in Myrtle Beach at Murphy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #19

Problem with B20 and anything above B5 is OIL POLYMERIZATION that can occur in any modern diesel that has a diesel particulate filter that undergoes regeneration.

Durting DPF regeneration, fuel is injected into the exhaust during the exhaust stroke. Some of the fuel always leaks past the rings. Fuel that is high in biodiesel can mix and dilute your engine oil causing it to be less effective and requiring more frequent oil changes. In some cases the biodiesel component can interact and cause the additives in the oil to do some nasty things, i.e. polyermize.

Biodiesel Magazine - The Latest News and Data About Biodiesel Production

A tank or two when you on a long trip won't hurt much but regular use should be avoided at that high level. I personally like to mix to B5 level which lubricates the fuel, keeps everything clean in the fuel system, increases cetaine, and cleans a little burner but not noticeable with a DPF installed.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, truck