Old 03-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
Diesel trucks and fuel (bio-diesel) ??

So I have seen this discussed but most recently specifically for Mercedes MH.

My manual says to not use over 5% bio diesel unless it has been modified for up to 20%. I don't know if it has, and when I called my dealer, he asked the diesel mechanic who said don't use the 20%. It was so quick, that was his opinion.

My issue is that when towing you don't have the luxury of hitting multiple stations just to make sure you find 5% or less diesel fuel.

I actually went to the Cummins turbo diesel forum and the last post I seen (from 2012 per so) said to quit talking about it. Not the info I am looking for...

Is it a big deal to occasionally put in 'up to' 20% bio diesel? I still don't know if mine has the modified for up to 20%.

This is my first diesel and I have ~4100 miles. 2015 Ram 6.7

What do you all do?

Mike and Susan
Cavalier King Charles - Jack (3) and Sadie (2)
2015 Columbus 320 RS
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins
I though I read someone posting some time ago it would just clock the fuel filter faster...

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
I pull into a truck stop and fuel up with the big rigs, never think about bio diesel and the percentages. Haven`t had any issues yet. Happy traveling .
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Just buy Low Sulfur and keep trucking......
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
I've run 100% homemade for a few years with no problems. Only problems were filters getting clogged the first few tanks. The bio cleaned all the crap out of my tank. Now that I have a hard time finding use cooking oil I don't it much anymore. Get on a good diesel forum and read about it. If done properly it is better in lubing the system. Just not to good on the cold
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
I've ran it in my 12 2500 CTD about 3 times. Never actually filled the tank completely with it though. Once I only put about 10 gals in and the last two I probably put about 20 gals in. Truck holds 36 or so gals IIRC. Have not had one problem from doing that.
One time when I was at the dealer and talking with the service tech I asked him the same question. His answer was that he thought it was more for the DPF getting clogged than anything else and to make sure you keep an eye on your fuel filter. He also suggested that the fuel filter would probably need to be change more often since the 20% will clean all the built up crud and the filter will get filled with it.
I run a dual Cat filter setup as well as the OEM, so I have 3 filters. I have about 5-6000 miles on the truck since changing filters. I have about 2000 miles on it since running 20 gals of 20% thru it. Still runs the same. I have no problems running 20% if needed. But I won't run 20% on a regular basis.

This from the Cummins site.

Is B20 approved for the Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel?
Cummins approves the use of up to B20 in the Dodge Ram trucks for municipal, government, and commercial fleets only. This applies to selected model year vehicles. Please consult Chrysler for specific requirements and approved vehicle models.

Not sure what the difference is between a comm fleet, government truck or a standard Ram bought off the dealer lot.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:33 PM   #7
I ran b100 in my 2007.5 Duramax lmm with dpf delete. Ran it for a year until the supplier quit selling it. Like others mentioned it will clean the crud out and you may need to Change filters sooner until the system is flushed. I had no problems and the truck is still fine 3 yrs later on regular diesel. I swear the truck ran quieter and also the exhaust did not stink. The b100 I was running was mustard seed oil.

2014 Rockwood 8311SS
Alberta8311ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #8
My ownerís manual also states not to use fuel with more than 5% bio-diesel. Unfortunately there have been more than a few times that I didnít have a choice. I always hate seeing that little blue sticker. To date it hasnít caused a problem so I donít get as uptight as I used to get when I knew I was pumping a higher percentage of bio-diesel.

My advice is to follow the maintenance schedule for towing faithfully. For my truck that means changing both fuel filters every 10,000 miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4612 - Copy.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	101886

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #9
Maybe I shouldn't worry about it too much. I'm not going to be able to control it when towing and need to fuel up anyway.
Mike and Susan
Cavalier King Charles - Jack (3) and Sadie (2)
2015 Columbus 320 RS
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #10
OK, I will weigh in on this also. First you have a Cummins 6.7L diesel engine and that engine manufacture recommends the use of Nanonet Fuel Filter of a 3 micron size part number FS53000. Ram has also installed a RACOR primary filter on the chassis that is a fuel/water separator part number PFF54529. I would purchase one of each and carry them as spares you will never know when the in-use filters will plug. And per MURPHY's LAW it will be at the least convenient time out in the middle of nowhere.

Also I would changed them every year or 15,000 miles what ever comes first. Filters are cheap compared to a fuel system issues that could require new injectors and a common rail, along with the engine fuel pump do to debris in the fuel. Keep all fuel receipts to prove if the station was at fault for bad fuel as this will show up really quick on the truck.

The problem with 20% bio-fuel is the ability to attract and retain moisture and the debris that could be in the fuel. That is why Ram installed the RACOR fuel/water separator on the chassis in 2013.5 MY trucks. If you go to high volume diesel fuel dealers such as major truck stops that turns fuel over fast you may be alright in using 20% bio-fuel.

On my 08 RAM I have two fuel filters for the diesel fuel. The engine mounted one which is a 5 micron and than a secondary filter, before the engine mounted fuel pump and after the engine mounted fuel filter. This one is 2 micron filter. Both of these are changed out yearly or 15,000 miles which every comes first.

Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, truck