Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #21

1. Never assume the dealer does anything right.
2. Even if they did it right, the trailer was empty when they set it up. Once you put your stuff in it, TW is (usually) much more, and you must adjust it anyway.
3. Doing the adjustments yourself is valuable to understand it's workings, and knowing what to do on the road if needed.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #22

Exact same thing happened to us. Had my previously used equalizer hitch set up for new camper this weekend by dealer. I don't believe it was set up properly. We got to the campground and it took us 30 minutes to pry, pound and just pull like nothing else to get the bars off the brackets. So frustrating and really dangerous actually. We tried to raise the tongue jack and it only increased the tension. What are the options in these types of situations.. .? I never had this issue getting the bars off on the old camper.
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkconlin View Post
Sometimes I have the same issues. I keep a 2 lb mallet with me to aid in removing bar.
I'm married, so I always have one of those handy, too!!

Seriously, I also have trouble getting the ball release to release.......unless the whole thing is raised some to make it all perfectly level. At some point, it pops back and releases.............then I have to finish getting trailer off the ball, but it won't come off until it's raised to some magic point.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by greti View Post
Exact same thing happened to us. Had my previously used equalizer hitch set up for new camper this weekend by dealer. I don't believe it was set up properly. We got to the campground and it took us 30 minutes to pry, pound and just pull like nothing else to get the bars off the brackets. So frustrating and really dangerous actually. We tried to raise the tongue jack and it only increased the tension. What are the options in these types of situations.. .? I never had this issue getting the bars off on the old camper.

I called and talked to the tech that installed the hitch..said he's been installing them for years and has one himself...didn't give me any answers that was of any help though..so this issue had been on my mind for about a week...so I got the manual out...I was looking for something specific..and hopefully I found it..lubrication highly recommended(check the manual as to specifically where)there are a couple things also I will do differently from reading all the replies..there also some helpful videos on YouTube...makes me wonder though..this should not be this difficult...I'm hoping lubricating the hitch will solve this issue..I welcome any other thoughts
Old 03-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #25

I think the socket bolts are too tight as another poster suggested. 60 foot lbs is the max they should be. You need to loosen them anyway to lube so then re-torque them to 55 or so when done and see if it solves your problem.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, sway