Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #1

Difficulty in removing equalizer 4 point sway system

Finally picked my Flaggstaff 831RESS...hooked up to my new equalizer 4 point control system with litte problem...pulled my unit to a storage facility....had a heck of a time unhitching...got one bar off...that was it...had to call my son in law to get the other one off..been towing campers for 20 years and never had a issue hitching or unhitching..anyone else having an issue like this with the equalizer 4 point system?...I got on you tube and wow...looks like its not that easy even for the experts...as far as towing...I couldn't be more pleased...I would absolutely love this system if it were easier to hitch and unhitch

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 03-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #2

Did you use the trailer jack to raise trailer and TV until pressure was released from arms?
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #3

I sometimes have issues if I'm not on flat terrain. Leaving the coupler locked on the ball and lifting with the tongue jack usually relieves enough tension. I get the hook of the prybar behind the bars and usually can lever them off. It also may be that your hitch is not setup correctly and the L brackets are too high or too much angle on the head.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #4

Yes..tw was raised...the dealership installed the hitch..I would think they installed it correctly....only thing I didn't do that you mentioned was using the pry bar to pry it away from the head..I did see that demonstrated on YouTube also
Old 03-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
Site Team

i never have to use the lever bar on my EQ. only if the trailer is on an angle.

do you have a power tongue jack because that really helps.
you have to raise the tongue up high to get the weight off of the L-bracket.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #6

Yes I have a power tongue jack..no matter how high I had my truck raised I couldn't get it loose...the truck was at an angle..the bar that my truck was turned towards came off pretty easy...the other only after I called my son in law who is about 6'2 and 250...he got it...but wasn't easy
Old 03-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #7

Appreciate all the feed back btw...a couple things stand out that I could do diffent the next time...whew!!..long day..off to bed..again thanks for the feedback guys
Old 03-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #8

I tow with an SUV. If I am having trouble with the bars I raise the tongue and tv with the jack and the bars remove easily. BTW. My hitch was set up by the dealer but it became much easier to use when I read the directions and made a few corrections. Don't assume the dealer installed it correctly. It should not be as hard as you described.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forest River Forums mobile app
pvillebly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #9

I had the same problem the first night with my new camper. I pulled in after dark after driving 10 hours, and could only get one bar off, no matter how high I raised the jack. Had to give up and leave it hitched for the night. In the morning, I realized there was a twist between the camper and the van... one was leaning left, the other right, putting a lot of pressure on one bar. Simply pulling forward a bit solved the problem. Lesson learned!
2014 Chevy Express 3500
castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpman View Post
..only thing I didn't do that you mentioned was using the pry bar to pry it away from the head..
I use it to pry them off the L brackets. Just keep your shins out of the way.

I would recommend towing your rig to a nice flat parking lot with instructions in hand and checking the setup. Its not difficult to do, and while the bars can sometimes be a little stubborn it sounds like yours might be a little excessive. If your TV sags a lot with the weight of the tongue a lot of tension will be required to push the front end down.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
...the truck was at an angle..the bar that my truck was turned towards came off pretty easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlemusic View Post
In the morning, I realized there was a twist between the camper and the van... one was leaning left, the other right, putting a lot of pressure on one bar. Simply pulling forward a bit solved the problem. Lesson learned!
Had the same problem with a regular WDH...it's a lot easier if it's straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvillebly View Post
BTW. My hitch was set up by the dealer but it became much easier to use when I read the directions and made a few corrections. Don't assume the dealer installed it correctly.
About 50% of them are clueless.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #12

I am wondering if the Dealer set it up correctly...I will address that with them Monday..from all the videos I looked at on YouTube it should not have been that difficult...some good tips there..especially keeping the truck straight..didn't have to worry about that with my old system
Old 03-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #13

Sometimes I have the same issues. I keep a 2 lb mallet with me to aid in removing bar.
Bkconlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
I am wondering if the Dealer set it up correctly...I will address that with them Monday
I wouldn't worry about talking to them. Your best bet is to break out the manual and adjust it yourself. It might take a few times to get it right but you shouldn't have to mess with it again once it's set up. Even a small adjustment can make a big difference in ride as well.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
I wouldn't worry about talking to them. Your best bet is to break out the manual and adjust it yourself. It might take a few times to get it right but you shouldn't have to mess with it again once it's set up. Even a small adjustment can make a big difference in ride as well.
I agree with the others - some/most dealers have no clue how to set up an Eqaul-I-zer. When I bought my '08 Roo new, the dealer did a great job - everything was fine. Last fall when I bought the '14 Flagstaff 27BESS I told the dealer to adjust the hitch for the new trailer. I might have well been talking to a rock. Yes, they installed the L-brackets on the new trailer, but that was it. They used the exact same drop and everything. After towing the new camper once last Fall, I decided I would do it myself come Spring. As soon as the camper comes out of storage next month I'm going to adjust the set-up like it should be.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I have a fifth wheel now, but before this had an Equalizer hitch for my tow behind. Like Bkconlin said, I bought a 2 lb mallet (small sledge hammer) and used it often. It's kind of noisy but never failed me. Make sure you raise your tongue as high as reasonable to take as much pressure off the L bracket as possible. Good luck.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #17
Jack of All Trades

Just wondering, is your problem swinging the spring arms to/from the L-brackets?

I ask because when my hitch was initially setup by the dealer I would have to lay on the ground and push the spring arms with my legs to get them to move.

What I found was the socket bolt and nut on the pivot was over-torqued. I readjusted to the 45 Lb-Ft recommended and the spring arms were movable with moderate arm force.

You might want to check the torquing of those socket bolts.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #18

I'll look into that RJ because I could not swing the arm out even a litte...just seemed like it was tight against the bracket attached to the trailer
Old 03-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #19

Definitely lube the hitch head bolts, we had some trouble with ours until he lubed it and worked it loose. BUT, if that thing is at an angle, it is going to be hard to get off the l-bracket. And depending on the angle, raising the tongue jack can sometimes make it worse. Like others, I use a hammer, though I found a big rubber mallet did the trick just fine, without the noise.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #20

Did seem like it got worse the higher I raised the jack..I had to keep going up and down until I found a Highth that loosened the bar...had a mallet in the truck but I doubt it was a 2 pounder...guess I might need to buy one

Tags
equalizer, sway