Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Dinghy Towing

I own a 2014 Coachmen Prism 24g and would like to tow a small vehicle. A lightweight vehicle would be the best for towing with my Rig. I am looking into purchasing a 2013 - 2014 Ford Fiesta or Focus with an automatic transmission. According to the dinghy tow guide these vehicles can be flat towed.
My question is, has anyone had any experience with towing these vehicles. If so, how do they flat tow, and are they actually good vehicles to flat tow. Is there a tow plate made for them, and tow bar. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
cgrazrv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:17 PM   #2

We have a Honda CRV that we dinghy towed twice but it weighs 3,300 lbs and really put a strain on our v6 diesel. I put the base plate on our Honda and I am sure they make a plate for the Fiesta as I am also thinking of looking at it since it weighs less than our Honda. On straight hills we had no problem but the curvy hills proved a load on Motorhome.
cl Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #3

I just did test with Prism24G and Smart Passion, works perfect.
Installed all thing by my self, base plate, back wired Smart lights and wired front female plug no Smart.
Add addition power wire for lighter plug inside of the Smart for Patriot braking box and install shut off switch to kill Smart power.
Save some "change" for diesel and gas and may be left something for few wine bottles .....:-)
BTW, Smart ready for tow is whole 1850 LBs .....:-)
Prism 24G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #4

Wow, you guys rock, installing your own base plate. We just purchase a 2014 Honda CR-V cost $3,300 for all the stuff (base plate,tow bar,braking portable) we need, but mechanic said something about pulling a fuse so the battery doesn't go dead when towing, but he wasn't sure about if it's just he 2013 and or the 2014. Would any of you guys know? Never counted in the cost.

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

Hi yes I bought a switch that conects to the radio fuse and instead of pulling the fuse every time we simply disconect the circuit with a switch. I purchased the switch through
Etrailer.com which is also were I bought my base plate. We have a 2013 Honda CR-V
Charlie
cl Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

Cindimac,
just follow instructions and do by
yourself ....
Prism 24G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Here is a good thread on towing a Focus.

2014 Ford Focus Battery disconnect - iRV2 Forums

An excellent choice in toad, BTW.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing