Old 02-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

DirecLink Brake Controller

Wondering if anyone out there uses a DirecLink brake controller?

Amazon.com: DirecLink Brake Controller: Automotive

Thinking about pulling the trigger on buying one, and just curious if anyone else has used one and has any good/bad feedback?

I'm not towing anything particularly heavy or challenging, I just like the clean look it would provide when installed, and the ability to unhook the command module and have it out of sight when I'm not towing.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #2

Sorry can't say, looks interesting though.

However, if you are looking for a controller that you don't have to hard wire into the vehicle and mount on or hang under the dash, did you look at the Tekonsha Prodigy RF?
Tekonsha - Prodigy® RF

I have one, used it for two years in my 2013 Silverado, and it worked perfectly, and when not being used, I put the control head in the console. The box that is mounted to the trailer took about fifteen minutes to mount.

Just a thought....

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #3

I saw that one too. Do you ever have any issues/concerns about anything interfering with the wireless signal? (i.e. Kids in the car playing with all their WiFi/Cell Phone/Electronic junk?)
Old 02-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #4

Can't say, only thing in my back seat is a Malamute I know that bluetooth does not bother it, since I always link via bluetooth to my vehicles and that means my cell phone signals don't cause problems; from the cell phone and/or Onstar.

I would hope that a company like Tekonsha would have checked for things like WiFi signals; especially now that vehicles can be WiFi hot spots now.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Can't say, only thing in my back seat is a Malamute I know that bluetooth does not bother it, since I always link via bluetooth to my vehicles and that means my cell phone signals don't cause problems; from the cell phone and/or Onstar.

I would hope that a company like Tekonsha would have checked for things like WiFi signals; especially now that vehicles can be WiFi hot spots now.
Good info and fair point.

Now the only problem is I'm more confused rather than less confused. I started out being on the fence about buying one brake controller. Now I'm on the fence about buying two different kinds.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I found several threads with input from DirecLink owners on some other forums. Don't know if posting these links is allowed, but don't see any reason they shouldn't be so...

DirecLink Brake controller... - Airstream Forums

Direclink brake controller - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Anybody else using Direclink Brake controller

As an IT professional, I can tell you that you won't catch me trusting my vehicles brakes to a wireless signal. I see FAR more problems with wireless devices than wired ones. Now a wireless backup camera...well sure, why not.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #7

The only wireless requirement is to mate the hand controller to the unit to set up the initial setup and program the required boost, and when you want to manually apply the trailer brakes with the hand unit. And if you want, you can view the hand unit to see the applied brake boost.

All other operations are basically hard wired.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:15 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Thank you for the clarification. I will admit that I had never heard of this unit before seeing the posts above. I have now viewed the manufacturers description, and see that this device appears to be essentially a standard inertia based controller who's "brain" is mounted to the trailer and who's "display" (and manual override switch) is handheld and connected via wireless. Based on the fact that the rarely needed yet very important manual override relies on wireless technology (unreliable IMO), I stand by my prior recommendation to not use one.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #9

Well, as someone who has USED this device for the past two years, and is not basing an opinion with no actual knowledge of the device and has NEVER experienced any problems with the use of the brake override (granted, not often used), but the display always noted it was connected, I would recommend it to anyone.

And another note, this unit is used quite a bit by companies that rent trailers since if a person has a vehicle that can tow a trailer, but has no factory installed or direct connected controller installed, they can use this Prodigy RF controller. And it is easily disconnected from the system so the same trailer can be used on vehicles that have hardwired controllers. (My selling dealer turned me on to this device when I picked up my trailer.)

Now, let's turn the thread back to the OP so he can find some recommendations for or against the directlink brake controller. And my apologies for going off subject!

Old 02-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #10

I have used the wireless prodigy for the last two years and it works great. I've never had an issue. Just plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
brake control, controller, brakes