Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #21

Bob Caldwell (couldn't quote your question), I have leaf springs and dual rear wheels. Only rear spring hanger I find on line just gives 1" (and my understanding is that after install it may not make a measurable difference).
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaE View Post
Do you take some of the springs out (to get the tail of the truck down) when you put in air bags? Any recommendations on what manufacturer of air bags?
I did.Mine has air ride all the time,springs just locate the axle. Its been that way for 15 yrs and it still works to keep the truck level all the time.loaded or mt.Ive also had the same firestone ride rite bags,on board compresser,tank and level valve since 2001.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #23
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Bob Caldwell (couldn't quote your question), I have leaf springs and dual rear wheels. Only rear spring hanger I find on line just gives 1" (and my understanding is that after install it may not make a measurable difference).
Does yours have a spacer block between axle housing and spring..... spring on top of axle or below? Need more info to suggest how to solve.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Does yours have a spacer block between axle housing and spring..... spring on top of axle or below? Need more info to suggest how to solve.
spring is on top of axle... will have to check tomorrow about spacer block
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Why not lower truck? Trailer axles and tires would thank you.

Axles and tires are within ratings, if it was an issue, I would just take trifold off and Lower hitch, instead of lowering hitch

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:36 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I have been looking for ways to lower the rear of my truck. So far no luck finding a way that makes enough difference to matter. Would be great if truck set level... now it is tail high and putting 3,000 lbs of pin weight on it drops the top of the tailgate only 1/2 inch. I have a 2015 Chevy 3500HD Diesel 4X4 crew cab long bed. If anyone has suggestions, approaches/parts, would love to hear them.
Longer spring shackles will lower the rear of a leaf spring truck. They are sold in various lengths for different lowering requirements. I made my own and lowered the rear bumper 2-1/2" when I bought the truck just to make it ride level before we started towing trailers. Coil sprung rear ends can be collapsed with special clamps that go over 2, 3 or 4 coils and can be tightened to get the desired lowering amount.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:51 AM   #27

Thanks everyone for all this info. Looks like 5" is the minimum, so in a couple days I'll get a chance to hook up and take a much closer look.
Again, thanks.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:30 AM   #28
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Early risers!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #29

Two different things being talked about here. Truck and/or trailer being level, and the original post wondering how much clearance is "sweet" between the 5er and the truck bed rails. If you can't stick your upright fist in the gap it is too close. I don't feel that I need 6 inches clearance but that seems plenty.
I've never seen a one ton dually that didn't squat more than a half inch when 3000 pounds is sitting on it. ???

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, truck, wheel