Old 01-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #11

The only time I had someone else change my oil was after I moved and wasn't set up yet. It's not only cheaper but it is fairly easy to do. It's also a good reason to look around, I also rotate my tires at the same time, I get to look at brakes, hub seal/gaskets, all the good stuff. I would not trust anyone with our truck. As far as oil recycling, as far as I know any one that sells oil will take used oil back.

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 39
nights camped in 2017 38
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #12

I change my own oil. I found that a plastic cat litter pail will just fit under the oil pan so it hold all the oil with no problem. Disposal of the old oil is no problem as well. LOTS of places take it to recycle or use in waste oil heaters. They take it at our trash collection facility.
find a place to dispose of your used oil and filters here Motor Oil Recycling Locations

I purchase oil (Valvoline Pure Blue) when it is on sale at Tractor Supply/Advance Auto or the like.

I order oil and fuel filters (3 at a time to spread out the shipping costs) from Filter Products - equipment parts - Donaldson, Baldwin, Des-Case, Wilson, Ingersoll Rand - alternators, air & electrical starters, bag, engine & hydraulic filters, bearings Filters were ~$10-$11 each the last time I ordered for Balwin PF7977 fuel and Donaldson ELF7349 (for 5.9 Cummins)

There are as many opinions as there are people in regards to oils & filters so I wont get in why I use what I use.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
So... other diesel owners... is it worth my time and effort to do it myself? What are you paying to have your oil and filter changed? How about fuel filters? Mine has 2... worth doing myself?

Thanks in advance for replies...
Depending on how many miles you drive per year you might look into package pricing oil changes at your dealer. Although it's a 30+ minute drive for you, Allen Samuels Dodge on 820 in Fort Worth sells these. I bought a package of 4 oil changes for around $250 but they have to be used within 24 months. They have other packages for longer/shorter periods at varying costs. It's been about a year and a half since I bought my last package so it's possible the pricing has changed a bit. Definitely worth a phone call to check it out. You could always verify their pricing then see if a dealer closer to you would honor the price.

As for fuel filters, I've always had that done by the dealer also but changed the last one myself. Only took a couple of minutes and saved about $50. Much lass hassle than changing the oil.
Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
slide5r4fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
I usually change my wife's oil & filter in her '09 Santa Fe... easy and definitely saves a few bucks since I do the full-synthetic thing... I have changed my own oil for decades, but having a company truck for the last 20 years spoiled me. Now I have this new Ram / Cummins and need to keep costs down. So... other diesel owners... is it worth my time and effort to do it myself? What are you paying to have your oil and filter changed? How about fuel filters? Mine has 2... worth doing myself?

Thanks in advance for replies...

Based on the information you provided, I feel that you will be happier doing them yourself. You clearly have the ability, and wish to save the cash.

I do all maintenance and minor/moderate repairs myself. It's more about knowing it's done right, and the improved relationship I have with my vehicles, than saving the money. I have never even checked the price for having the oil changed in my diesel truck.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #15

If you can change your own oil and filter... do it. You will learn so much more about your truck by getting into the engine bay and under it and you will see other issues that my need attention. Grease zerts... oil/fluid leaks/ exhaust leaks/ dirt and grime build up to clean off/ worn belts and hoses/ battery post corrosion, etc.

My truck holds 15qts of oil and I spend a 100.00 bill on every oil change. I have several uses for the used oil, so disposal is not issue.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
Depending on how many miles you drive per year you might look into package pricing oil changes at your dealer. Although it's a 30+ minute drive for you, Allen Samuels Dodge on 820 in Fort Worth sells these. I bought a package of 4 oil changes for around $250 but they have to be used within 24 months. They have other packages for longer/shorter periods at varying costs. It's been about a year and a half since I bought my last package so it's possible the pricing has changed a bit. Definitely worth a phone call to check it out. You could always verify their pricing then see if a dealer closer to you would honor the price.

As for fuel filters, I've always had that done by the dealer also but changed the last one myself. Only took a couple of minutes and saved about $50. Much lass hassle than changing the oil.
Thanks, I'll call them. I work at I-35 and Western Center, so it would be convenient to leave early and get this done...Manual says every 6 months, so that's about right.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #17

2011 Cummins deisel....I installed a quick drain valve on my truck, the oil changes are very easy to do. No mess...I buy Vavoline Blue when it's on sale and stock pile it to stay ahead of the game. I do the same with the fuel and oil filters, which by the way are very easy to change. Like others have stated it gives me a chance to check things out and become familiar with the truck. We have a recycling place at our local dump, so used oil storage is not a problem.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks, I'll call them. I work at I-35 and Western Center, so it would be convenient to leave early and get this done...Manual says every 6 months, so that's about right.

Manual says every 6 months...

Mileage and usage... not 'time' (unless you have not driven it for years/ or this is the very first oil change....I would change it the first time after 500/1,000 miles)

Go to a Ram/Cummin Diesel Forum for your year of truck and those boys and girls will tell you everything that you want to know about your new baby, imo

First Oil change...be careful - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Have fun with your new baby...

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #19

I do my own use Motor craft filter as recommended and they are the cheapest.
Also to get rid of the used oil they now pay me for it. I actually made a drain pan for mine holds all the oil and then some. Last time I changed oil was transmission and engine all filters and was around 250 for all parts so not bad. Rather do it myself I have always done it so no problem just don't trust them to do it.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #20

About $80.00 for my 2011 2500 HD. Trying to dispose of old oil load it/transport it ect is not worth the few dollars i would save. Not to mention laying on your back with oil running into your armpit;o)

Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel