Old 01-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #21
I can not remember when I have taken any of the vehicles that I have owned to have the oil & filter changeg also change the tranny fluid once a year also the rear gear oil once a year in the current truck that I biught new in 2003. Disposal is no problem I have a very good friend that has a shop and lets me dispose used oil their. I have found several problems by doing this my self that could have caused a problem on the road. Just me. I buy oil and fuel filters in bulk from Geno's garage in Atlanta they have the cummins filters plus many parts at a good price.

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Diesel
2014 Rockwood 2608WS
Big Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #22
I've always done all my oil changes myself, still do my daily driver, a 04 Corvette every 3000 miles, my Harley etc. but since buying my F250 diesel in 2011 I've been taking it to the Ford dealer in Lake City Florida, they have been charging me only $78. for an oil and filter change on my 6.7 diesel. Been doing it there every 5000 miles since 2011. They're using Motorcraft filters and 10-40 weight non-synthetic Motorcraft oil.

jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #23
I have 2013 Ram Cummings, I also purchased the 4 oil change for $ 250 through the Ram dealer. Ram sent me the service contract and I can go to any dealer in the country. For $ 62.50 it was a no brainer as vehicles are not my cup of tea. They charge me additional $ 65 part and labor to change the fuel filters and rotate tires since I didn't buy it there. I think this is reasonable.
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #24
DIY Diesel Oil Changes

I like you have a 2014 LARIME LONG HORN MEGA CAB 3500 DRW SHORT BED 6.7 CUMMINS.
Are you a member of TDR. A very good resources for our Ram trucks.
I like you used synthetic, Amsoil in my 98.5, I've done both changed my own and let someone else do it. No one else that I read has a newer Ram so oil changes aren't the same. 6 months or 15 K being retired I never put 15 k on it in 6 months. I believe in Amsoil it has worked well for me I have put it to the test, and I am a dealer. But for me the cost is the big factor Dealer oil changes very from place to place. in IL Dodge dealers charge about $100.00 to $125.00 you can get it done cheaper from small places. To change it yourself 1st big enough place to do it I have a easy open close valve that I will install or have installed. In case you don't have a pan large enough to hold all 12 to 12.5 Qts. 2nd You most likely have the tools you would need to DIY. Changing the the filters both oil and fuel are not all that bad on the 2014s You won't be able to get to the oil filter from the passenger wheel well all that easy. Remember TDR www.turbo diesel go to the form page and search on those topics. feel free to call me if you have any other questions 309-253-4561 Washington IL.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #25
It's interesting how many of you do it yourself...

To qualify... I was an aircraft mechanic in my prior life... but I'm 63 now. I can and will do this myself more than likely... I'm just waiting for a semi-warm day. The owner's manual says 6 months or 15K miles, whichever comes first. I got it July 10 and it just clicked over 10K miles. Probably 4K of that was towing my 7K# TT so in my opinion, it's due. Admittedly I think it's stupid to change it on a calendar... but I want no warranty problems.

I've looked several places at videos and read descriptions... nothing hard about either oil change or fuel filters...

Thanks, all of you, and have a great new year!
J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #26
Diesels are way too costly and inconvenient to operate. Have had two Cummins diesels and grew tired of looking for diesel pumps to fill up at.
Next truck will be a Ram Hemi.....
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #27
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
Diesels are way too costly and inconvenient to operate. Have had two Cummins diesels and grew tired of looking for diesel pumps to fill up at.
Next truck will be a Ram Hemi.....
Yes. But will you change the oil or take it somewhere to have it done?I think that was what the OP asked.
2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Cummins
55' Chevy Bel-Air
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #28
I started changing mine when I got tired of paying three/four times the price for my 10 quart diesel than I do for my 5 quart gasser.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #29
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
Diesels are way too costly and inconvenient to operate. Next truck will be a Ram Hemi.....
That's what you ought to do my man.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #30
Seasoned Rookie
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
Ford F-350 6.7L turbo diesel requires ~13 quarts to change the oil. No catch pan I have will do the trick even if I wanted to. I took my old F-250 to the dealer and it was about $98 total each time.

I haven't changed oil in the F-350 yet but suspect it will be about the same at the dealer and I can do without the hassle. I let them do the fuel filters too but we only average 5k a year so it isn't needed often.

The F-350 has the oil minder system to tell when to change the oil...but it will get changed before the new camping season hits as the owner's manual says to run 10W-40 if towing regularly. If I had noticed that sooner, I would have had the dealer throw in 1 free oil change as I bought the truck to tow and they knew that.

So far I just chalk it all up to the cost of having fun camping!
A couple of corrections/updates:

Ford Owner's Manual says to run 5W-40 (full synthetic oil) if towing over 1,000 miles per year. I didn't call the dealer to ask, but since a full synthetic oil change on my wife's van is ~$90 @ the Toyota dealer, I'm certain it will be over $200 for the Ford dealer to change the oil in my truck now.

That being the case, I guess I'm back to changing my own oil. I ordered a 4.5 gal catch pan today & will just do both vehicles. Guess, I'll do the fuel filters too since Ford wants over $100 for them and they are ~$53 on Amazon.

And just when I thought I was done having to do these tasks myself!!

2014 Ford F350 SD 4X4 CC LB 6.7L PSD
Bob & Debbie, USAF Retired
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote