Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
When that minimum wage teenager forgets to tighten your drain plug, doesn't bother to change the filter, doesn't grease the front end, puts the wrong oil in it because he doesn't know it was a diesel who you gonna be mad at, him, minimum wage teenager, what do you want from him, his manager, that's what you get from a minimum wage teenager, sorry sir, or you, for knowing better to let a minimum wage teenager touching a 30k - 50k truck?
Has not been a issue yet. But life is not worth constantly worrying about the what if's. There is so many things in life that can happen, singling out one aspect is not worth my time.

But if they do make a mistake then so be it. I go to the same dealer each time, everything is logged. If they make the mistake they will cover it.
Mattpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #42

i do not let other people work on my dually f350 7.3 diesel so i do my own oil changes and i suck the upper section of the block empty each time to get as much as poss out of the engine. it costs me $80 per change with motocraft oil, filter as well as a fuel filter and rev x oil additive which comes with a bottle of fuel additive. i have a waste oil furnace so disposal is heat for the winters here. i just don't trust other places because they make too many mistakes and min wage employee's or i should say the majority of them just don't care. if they do real damage, sure they'll prob fix it and might be a fight but won't happen that day or over night depending and in the mean time i am out my truck. i really only use it to tow the toyhauler but i do need it off and on for other little things so just not a chance i am willing to take when i am already set up to work on trucks. like someone said above it give me a chance to look over the rest of the truck, grease what ever i can at that time as well as rotate the tires. i change my oil every 3500 to 4k miles. i buy the filters in bulk for a discount but no savings to buy rev x in bulk lol i saved a plastic bucket from my wifes cats litter that hold 4 gals. it's a fat short bucket and fits right under my truck with room to get my hands on the drain plug with out having to jack the truck up so really quick and clean for myself.

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
When that minimum wage teenager forgets to tighten your drain plug, doesn't bother to change the filter, doesn't grease the front end, puts the wrong oil in it because he doesn't know it was a diesel who you gonna be mad at, him, minimum wage teenager, what do you want from him, his manager, that's what you get from a minimum wage teenager, sorry sir, or you, for knowing better to let a minimum wage teenager touching a 30k - 50k truck?
Got to be honest, I used to hang out with "minimum wage teenagers" that worked in a service garage and changed oil when I was growing up. They were probably more careful then the other mechanics at completing these tasks, in fact I learned a ton from them. These guys wanted to be mechanics when they grew up, didn't just get those jobs because they needed them and wanted to be a minimum wage person just changing oil. They worked on their own cars, built drag cars, and helped their friends out when they had no clue what to do. My point is, be careful in thinking that just because they are a teenager they are going to screw things up. In fact they deserve credit for being in there doing these things when others won't have anything to do with it.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #44

QCCowboy true and in the past i would agree and we all had to get a start somewhere but around here i would say 85% of them aren't like that anymore in fact most of them really aren't hire-able for much or just don't want to work. these wouldn't last long doing oil changes or tires or prob wouldn't apply in the first place but there are several quick change oil change shops that have had to replace several motors around lincoln nebr. those that are that capable would be acceptable for many just not myself. i want things done a certain way and for myself it needs to be done by myself.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
there are several quick change oil change shops that have had to replace several motors around lincoln nebr.
All were caused by teenagers?
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #46

When I purchased my 2013 RAM it came with four free oil changes, to be used within two years. I bought the truck in Orlando, but have it serviced in Sarasota. Service writer said lets use one of those free oil changes you have coming to you. I asked how often can I have the oil changed to use the free one's up, he said come back tomorrow and will change the oil again. After that I can purchase four more to be used over two years.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #47
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
Got to be honest, I used to hang out with "minimum wage teenagers" that worked in a service garage and changed oil when I was growing up. They were probably more careful then the other mechanics at completing these tasks, in fact I learned a ton from them. These guys wanted to be mechanics when they grew up, didn't just get those jobs because they needed them and wanted to be a minimum wage person just changing oil. They worked on their own cars, built drag cars, and helped their friends out when they had no clue what to do. My point is, be careful in thinking that just because they are a teenager they are going to screw things up. In fact they deserve credit for being in there doing these things when others won't have anything to do with it.
I'd agree.
Us younger techs bust our butts and try real hard to make a name for our selfs.
Yes there are some goobers out there, but ive seen more shady work or "hack" work done by older guys trying to "flat rate it" then the younger guys "starting somewhere", or getting a foot in the door.
That said, i don't get paid anywhere near minumum wage, and sometimes you do get what you pay for.
But most places have insurance, and they will buy you a motor if needed. And knowing that, i have no problem letting somebody else change my oil, since it saves me money. In other words my time will make me more money doing something else, than doing an oil change.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:32 PM   #48

If youve got a little time to spare, as always their is some money to save by doing things yourself.

The job differs slightly from a gas jobbie, and the process differs by year/make/model of diesel. but in the end its nothing you cant do in your driveway with a 6pack, and granted a 6pack doesnt leave your head spinning youll have some peace of mind that the job was done properly.

I came from a smallish city that employed wayyyy too many 'kids', not taking a jab at them in general but the shops would hire very few apprentices and usually let the lesser paid shop-sweeps do oil changes and tires. Lost tires, partial services and oil filters and drain plugs that werent tight was an all too often occurrence. Only time my truck went to a shop was for warranty work, even then i hated doing that because again the shop-sweeps generally got the task as the warranty paid flat rate and none of the techs wanted to waste their time.

To each thier own though, the frequency of any issue at a lube shop is likely in the ~1% range, id just hate to be the 1% LOL

One thing to watch for, as some people have found out the hard way, is that most lube shops advertise $XX oil changes but does not include diesels as they typically hold twice as much oil as a gas jobbie.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
All were caused by teenagers?

QCCowboy do you work for the state???? where did you read that in my reply???? i have to ask because i re read my reply and i can find that statement! if you are good with using those places then go right ahead, it's of no concern to myself.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #50

Wow let's argue about nothing. As for the OP original question I don't do my own oil anymore. On my MH it goes to a Cummins shop or an Oasis Freight Liner shop the Jeep goes to a dealer as it seem the price is the same as a quick lube. I full time and although I carry the tools getting on my back and doing the work isn't as easy as it was before the neck surgery. I also would be in deep dodo if I spilled 16 quarts of oil on the RV site. As a teenager I worked pumping gas and changing tires. Doing oil changes and all the grunt work. I had hair to my shoulders and I'm sure I didn't inspire confidence in the old guys that came in. That had been going on forever. I think the kids today are as goofy as kids were when I was young. It's always the world going to hell in a hand basket with every generation. I took my job serious and did my best. I also screwed up form time to time. I think it's the same now. To be honest I miss doing my own work but time marches on and I do believe it has run me over sometimes.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Wow let's argue about nothing. As for the OP original question I don't do my own oil anymore. On my MH it goes to a Cummins shop or an Oasis Freight Liner shop the Jeep goes to a dealer as it seem the price is the same as a quick lube. I full time and although I carry the tools getting on my back and doing the work isn't as easy as it was before the neck surgery. I also would be in deep dodo if I spilled 16 quarts of oil on the RV site. As a teenager I worked pumping gas and changing tires. Doing oil changes and all the grunt work. I had hair to my shoulders and I'm sure I didn't inspire confidence in the old guys that came in. That had been going on forever. I think the kids today are as goofy as kids were when I was young. It's always the world going to hell in a hand basket with every generation. I took my job serious and did my best. I also screwed up form time to time. I think it's the same now. To be honest I miss doing my own work but time marches on and I do believe it has run me over sometimes.

exactly! lol

Old 01-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #52

Lets see. NOT. Lets look back to the "before" time. How many got a trophy for "just partisipating" god forbid you weren't told your the best. Can anyone remember a teacher getting beat up in the classroom!

Your kidding yourself if you think its no different. Sure things change, but you now have a generation that honestly thinks they are on top of it all. Why shouldn't they, most of the older generation is responsible for it. But, LIFE has a way of teaching the lesson. And oh boy is that lesson coming soon. Sorry off topic, i'll stop now.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #53

DIY Diesel Oil Changes?

I know I'm just a kidder!

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel