Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #21

I can not remember when I have taken any of the vehicles that I have owned to have the oil & filter changeg also change the tranny fluid once a year also the rear gear oil once a year in the current truck that I biught new in 2003. Disposal is no problem I have a very good friend that has a shop and lets me dispose used oil their. I have found several problems by doing this my self that could have caused a problem on the road. Just me. I buy oil and fuel filters in bulk from Geno's garage in Atlanta they have the cummins filters plus many parts at a good price.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #22

I've always done all my oil changes myself, still do my daily driver, a 04 Corvette every 3000 miles, my Harley etc. but since buying my F250 diesel in 2011 I've been taking it to the Ford dealer in Lake City Florida, they have been charging me only $78. for an oil and filter change on my 6.7 diesel. Been doing it there every 5000 miles since 2011. They're using Motorcraft filters and 10-40 weight non-synthetic Motorcraft oil.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #23

I have 2013 Ram Cummings, I also purchased the 4 oil change for $ 250 through the Ram dealer. Ram sent me the service contract and I can go to any dealer in the country. For $ 62.50 it was a no brainer as vehicles are not my cup of tea. They charge me additional $ 65 part and labor to change the fuel filters and rotate tires since I didn't buy it there. I think this is reasonable.
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #24

DIY Diesel Oil Changes

schrederman
I like you have a 2014 LARIME LONG HORN MEGA CAB 3500 DRW SHORT BED 6.7 CUMMINS.
Are you a member of TDR. A very good resources for our Ram trucks.
I like you used synthetic, Amsoil in my 98.5, I've done both changed my own and let someone else do it. No one else that I read has a newer Ram so oil changes aren't the same. 6 months or 15 K being retired I never put 15 k on it in 6 months. I believe in Amsoil it has worked well for me I have put it to the test, and I am a dealer. But for me the cost is the big factor Dealer oil changes very from place to place. in IL Dodge dealers charge about $100.00 to $125.00 you can get it done cheaper from small places. To change it yourself 1st big enough place to do it I have a easy open close valve that I will install or have installed. In case you don't have a pan large enough to hold all 12 to 12.5 Qts. 2nd You most likely have the tools you would need to DIY. Changing the the filters both oil and fuel are not all that bad on the 2014s You won't be able to get to the oil filter from the passenger wheel well all that easy. Remember TDR www.turbo diesel registry.com go to the form page and search on those topics. feel free to call me if you have any other questions 309-253-4561 Washington IL.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #25

It's interesting how many of you do it yourself...

To qualify... I was an aircraft mechanic in my prior life... but I'm 63 now. I can and will do this myself more than likely... I'm just waiting for a semi-warm day. The owner's manual says 6 months or 15K miles, whichever comes first. I got it July 10 and it just clicked over 10K miles. Probably 4K of that was towing my 7K# TT so in my opinion, it's due. Admittedly I think it's stupid to change it on a calendar... but I want no warranty problems.

I've looked several places at videos and read descriptions... nothing hard about either oil change or fuel filters...

Thanks, all of you, and have a great new year!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:59 AM   #26

Diesels are way too costly and inconvenient to operate. Have had two Cummins diesels and grew tired of looking for diesel pumps to fill up at.
Next truck will be a Ram Hemi.....
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
Diesels are way too costly and inconvenient to operate. Have had two Cummins diesels and grew tired of looking for diesel pumps to fill up at.
Next truck will be a Ram Hemi.....
Yes. But will you change the oil or take it somewhere to have it done?I think that was what the OP asked.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #28

I started changing mine when I got tired of paying three/four times the price for my 10 quart diesel than I do for my 5 quart gasser.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
Diesels are way too costly and inconvenient to operate. Next truck will be a Ram Hemi.....
That's what you ought to do my man.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:07 AM   #30
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
Ford F-350 6.7L turbo diesel requires ~13 quarts to change the oil. No catch pan I have will do the trick even if I wanted to. I took my old F-250 to the dealer and it was about $98 total each time.

I haven't changed oil in the F-350 yet but suspect it will be about the same at the dealer and I can do without the hassle. I let them do the fuel filters too but we only average 5k a year so it isn't needed often.

The F-350 has the oil minder system to tell when to change the oil...but it will get changed before the new camping season hits as the owner's manual says to run 10W-40 if towing regularly. If I had noticed that sooner, I would have had the dealer throw in 1 free oil change as I bought the truck to tow and they knew that.

So far I just chalk it all up to the cost of having fun camping!
A couple of corrections/updates:

Ford Owner's Manual says to run 5W-40 (full synthetic oil) if towing over 1,000 miles per year. I didn't call the dealer to ask, but since a full synthetic oil change on my wife's van is ~$90 @ the Toyota dealer, I'm certain it will be over $200 for the Ford dealer to change the oil in my truck now.

That being the case, I guess I'm back to changing my own oil. I ordered a 4.5 gal catch pan today & will just do both vehicles. Guess, I'll do the fuel filters too since Ford wants over $100 for them and they are ~$53 on Amazon.

And just when I thought I was done having to do these tasks myself!!
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #31

I change my own oil, fuel filter, and trans filter. I save a lot doing it myself and do it more often. As far as diesel being more work you should be doing the same type of maintenance with a gas engine especially if your towing. The only part of more work I found with a diesel is pouring in a couple of more quarts of oil.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #32

I have changed the oil in my rigs for years so I bought a oil pan that would hold the 15 Qt's and went at it.

BIG mistake!

I made one great big mess trying to pour the oil in to a 5 gal can, I got oil all over.

The oil filter is on top and not easy to remove, used a small tray to put under the filter after pulling it up to keep oil off the engine.

Got it back together and started to add the new oil, back to town to replace the funnel I could not find, modded funnel so it would work better.

Oil added, checked for leaks and then spent 30-45 min doing cleanup and bagging the mess up and then another hour to go back to town and dump the oil in the tank at work for the shop heater.

I will spend the time and money to let the dealer do it from now on.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #33

I have a 2004 Ford F-250 power stroke that goes to the dealership for oil changes. For me the cost and convenience is the main factor!
Am I able to do it yes, just don't want to.
Plus, I am a big fan of factory filters ( fuel , oil and air mainly) being installed on my truck.
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #34

I found a guy locally that will do it for $12-... I just have to take the oil and filter to him... and pay cash/
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #35

I take my F350 to a dealer and have them change the oil. While I used to do all of the oil changes in my vehicles, honestly I'd just rather pay to have them done anymore. Costs me about $90 per change but they top off the DEF and do their little multi-point inspection as well. I usually drop it off and have the wife and kids pick me up so we can run any errands in town we need to.

I do change my fuel filters myself as they are both quick and easy to get to and I just incorporate it as one of my water separator checks anyway.
I also keep a log of all of my services on MyFord.com so that I know when things were done for my own convenience.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:19 AM   #36

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I found a guy locally that will do it for $12-... I just have to take the oil and filter to him... and pay cash/

The guy I bought my used Duramax truck from said he took his own oil/filters in to Walmart and they changed it for $10...this was back in '07, so probably a few more $ now.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:48 AM   #37

Motorcraft filters and 4 gal Rotella T6 Syn from Walmart. Quick drain valve and a cheap 5 gal bucket with lid. Take the used oil back to walmart for recycle.

Hardest part is steadying my short behind on the front bumper to get the filter cap off.

The synthetic costs me about as much as a reg change would cost at a local shop. But then I usually combine it with the numerous other routine maintenance items.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #38

I agree with the quick change valve others have mentioned. Install it in place of the drain plug for the easiest oil change possible. Another advantage of the quick change valve is you get one with a nipple at the end of the spout. Attach a short section of tubing to it. Then you drain directly into old empty 1 gallon oil jugs. When one is full you shut off the valve, switch to the next, and turn the valve back on. No oil pan. No oil spillage or mess whatsoever. Then just bring the full gallons back to wherever you buy your oil. I get Shell Rotella T6 5W40 at Walmart for $23 a gallon so I bring my waste oil back there. As to filters, diesel-filters.com is the cheapest place I've found. I usually get a couple at a time along with fuel filters. Fuel filters there are about $50 for the pair and Motorcraft oil filters are $13. Trucks are high enough these days that you don't even need ramps. I just roll under on my creeper and get to work. Oh, and to save a mess on the filter, take a hole punch or large phillips head screwdriver and punch a hole in the filter before removal. This will allow most of the oil to drain before you unscrew it.

Find your ez drain part number here then order on Amazon...

http://www.ezoildrainvalve.com/
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #39

Growing up farming, servicing farm equipment for years, then working at a JD dealer with servicing equipment there, servicing crop dusters for a couple years, and then working offshore servicing equipment for years. I am done with that crap. I have no problem letting some min wage teenagers to service my pickup. I even bought the service agreement for this Ford.

But for the Cummins, that is by far the cheapest of the three to service. You can get the Fleetgard lube filter for about $10. Or spend a few dollars more and get a extended lube filter with a built in bypass filter. Valvoline Blue 15w-40 is about $10 a gallon. If I am not mistaken you can get a 5 or 3 micron fuel filter from Geno's Garage which is far better then the Mopar filter.
Mattpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattpopp View Post
Growing up farming, servicing farm equipment for years, then working at a JD dealer with servicing equipment there, servicing crop dusters for a couple years, and then working offshore servicing equipment for years. I am done with that crap. I have no problem letting some min wage teenagers to service my pickup. I even bought the service agreement for this Ford.

But for the Cummins, that is by far the cheapest of the three to service. You can get the Fleetgard lube filter for about $10. Or spend a few dollars more and get a extended lube filter with a built in bypass filter. Valvoline Blue 15w-40 is about $10 a gallon. If I am not mistaken you can get a 5 or 3 micron fuel filter from Geno's Garage which is far better then the Mopar filter.

When that minimum wage teenager forgets to tighten your drain plug, doesn't bother to change the filter, doesn't grease the front end, puts the wrong oil in it because he doesn't know it was a diesel who you gonna be mad at, him, minimum wage teenager, what do you want from him, his manager, that's what you get from a minimum wage teenager, sorry sir, or you, for knowing better to let a minimum wage teenager touching a 30k - 50k truck?

Tags
diesel