Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

DIY Diesel Oil Changes?

I usually change my wife's oil & filter in her '09 Santa Fe... easy and definitely saves a few bucks since I do the full-synthetic thing... I have changed my own oil for decades, but having a company truck for the last 20 years spoiled me. Now I have this new Ram / Cummins and need to keep costs down. So... other diesel owners... is it worth my time and effort to do it myself? What are you paying to have your oil and filter changed? How about fuel filters? Mine has 2... worth doing myself?

Thanks in advance for replies...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #2

Also have a Ram w/Cummins and buy oil from Walmart, filters from O'Reilly and found a local garage who changes oil and filters for $20. Don't have to get dirty and deal with disposal and about $50 cheaper than dealer. Check around for a small shop.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
GLCM Warrior

Ford F-350 6.7L turbo diesel requires ~13 quarts to change the oil. No catch pan I have will do the trick even if I wanted to. I took my old F-250 to the dealer and it was about $98 total each time.

I haven't changed oil in the F-350 yet but suspect it will be about the same at the dealer and I can do without the hassle. I let them do the fuel filters too but we only average 5k a year so it isn't needed often.

The F-350 has the oil minder system to tell when to change the oil...but it will get changed before the new camping season hits as the owner's manual says to run 10W-40 if towing regularly. If I had noticed that sooner, I would have had the dealer throw in 1 free oil change as I bought the truck to tow and they knew that.

So far I just chalk it all up to the cost of having fun camping!
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #4

2011 Ram 3500 Cummins - have the dealer do the oil changes usually as I don't have time. They charge $149.00 but always seem to find me a coupon to bring it down to $89-$99 each time. And they usually will clean and vacuum the truck at the same time.

I have changed the oil on my own with the F350 and it was usually in the $65-$75 range for good oil and filters.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:16 PM   #5

06 duramax, I buy my oil at meyers for 19.00 for 4 quarts of rotella T6 syn, and the filter cost about 10 bucks, takes 10 qts for a change. and I have never paid someone to do this for me, It takes all of 15 minutes and I have a reason to look at everything under the truck. I replace at 6k interval,

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:18 PM   #6

I can truthfully say I have NEVER paid or "had" the oil changed in any of our vehicles.So that would be about 55yrs of oil changes /filters/lube services.Ive been running Amsoil synthetic in everything everywhere since about 1985.That being said ,I have always had in my shop(s) a hoist,but even now, I dont usually use it for that because it doubles as a welding table and lift for the atv's,tractors.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:26 PM   #7

My Dodge Cummins costs usually $13 or less a gallon for Rotella holds 10 quarts & about $6 for a Fram filter my mechanic charges me $10 to change it and disposes of the waste. So under $55.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:49 AM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

I have always used a local place for my duramax. It cost about $58-59 with tax and all and they use rotella (which I've always used in my diesels ).
For me it's about the same cost as if i buy all the stuff, or maybe I'm paying about $10 or so for labor, but I'm good with that!!! Heck it only takes them about 10 minutes and the kids get a sucker and a sody pop!
Funny thing is, I'm a dealer tech, but I just would rather pay someone to take care of the simple little stuff like that.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #9

The day for me to change my own oil has long passed. I get mine changed between 4 and 5000 miles. The cost is around $79.00 dollars, but that is also with 14 qts of oil and filter. I have my fuel filters changed every other oil change, then my bill will double. The bonus is that they also fill all liquids if needed and do a 21 point inspection. These are no longer the same engines as I grew up with.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #10

There is no easy way for me to dispose of the oil, and along with the mess it's more convenient to take the truck and have it changed.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #11

The only time I had someone else change my oil was after I moved and wasn't set up yet. It's not only cheaper but it is fairly easy to do. It's also a good reason to look around, I also rotate my tires at the same time, I get to look at brakes, hub seal/gaskets, all the good stuff. I would not trust anyone with our truck. As far as oil recycling, as far as I know any one that sells oil will take used oil back.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #12

I change my own oil. I found that a plastic cat litter pail will just fit under the oil pan so it hold all the oil with no problem. Disposal of the old oil is no problem as well. LOTS of places take it to recycle or use in waste oil heaters. They take it at our trash collection facility.
find a place to dispose of your used oil and filters here Motor Oil Recycling Locations

I purchase oil (Valvoline Pure Blue) when it is on sale at Tractor Supply/Advance Auto or the like.

I order oil and fuel filters (3 at a time to spread out the shipping costs) from Filter Products - equipment parts - Donaldson, Baldwin, Des-Case, Wilson, Ingersoll Rand - alternators, air & electrical starters, bag, engine & hydraulic filters, bearings Filters were ~$10-$11 each the last time I ordered for Balwin PF7977 fuel and Donaldson ELF7349 (for 5.9 Cummins)

There are as many opinions as there are people in regards to oils & filters so I wont get in why I use what I use.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
So... other diesel owners... is it worth my time and effort to do it myself? What are you paying to have your oil and filter changed? How about fuel filters? Mine has 2... worth doing myself?

Depending on how many miles you drive per year you might look into package pricing oil changes at your dealer. Although it's a 30+ minute drive for you, Allen Samuels Dodge on 820 in Fort Worth sells these. I bought a package of 4 oil changes for around $250 but they have to be used within 24 months. They have other packages for longer/shorter periods at varying costs. It's been about a year and a half since I bought my last package so it's possible the pricing has changed a bit. Definitely worth a phone call to check it out. You could always verify their pricing then see if a dealer closer to you would honor the price.

As for fuel filters, I've always had that done by the dealer also but changed the last one myself. Only took a couple of minutes and saved about $50. Much lass hassle than changing the oil.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
I usually change my wife's oil & filter in her '09 Santa Fe... easy and definitely saves a few bucks since I do the full-synthetic thing... I have changed my own oil for decades, but having a company truck for the last 20 years spoiled me. Now I have this new Ram / Cummins and need to keep costs down. So... other diesel owners... is it worth my time and effort to do it myself? What are you paying to have your oil and filter changed? How about fuel filters? Mine has 2... worth doing myself?

Based on the information you provided, I feel that you will be happier doing them yourself. You clearly have the ability, and wish to save the cash.

I do all maintenance and minor/moderate repairs myself. It's more about knowing it's done right, and the improved relationship I have with my vehicles, than saving the money. I have never even checked the price for having the oil changed in my diesel truck.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #15

If you can change your own oil and filter... do it. You will learn so much more about your truck by getting into the engine bay and under it and you will see other issues that my need attention. Grease zerts... oil/fluid leaks/ exhaust leaks/ dirt and grime build up to clean off/ worn belts and hoses/ battery post corrosion, etc.

My truck holds 15qts of oil and I spend a 100.00 bill on every oil change. I have several uses for the used oil, so disposal is not issue.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
Depending on how many miles you drive per year you might look into package pricing oil changes at your dealer. Although it's a 30+ minute drive for you, Allen Samuels Dodge on 820 in Fort Worth sells these. I bought a package of 4 oil changes for around $250 but they have to be used within 24 months. They have other packages for longer/shorter periods at varying costs. It's been about a year and a half since I bought my last package so it's possible the pricing has changed a bit. Definitely worth a phone call to check it out. You could always verify their pricing then see if a dealer closer to you would honor the price.

As for fuel filters, I've always had that done by the dealer also but changed the last one myself. Only took a couple of minutes and saved about $50. Much lass hassle than changing the oil.
Thanks, I'll call them. I work at I-35 and Western Center, so it would be convenient to leave early and get this done...Manual says every 6 months, so that's about right.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #17

2011 Cummins deisel....I installed a quick drain valve on my truck, the oil changes are very easy to do. No mess...I buy Vavoline Blue when it's on sale and stock pile it to stay ahead of the game. I do the same with the fuel and oil filters, which by the way are very easy to change. Like others have stated it gives me a chance to check things out and become familiar with the truck. We have a recycling place at our local dump, so used oil storage is not a problem.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks, I'll call them. I work at I-35 and Western Center, so it would be convenient to leave early and get this done...Manual says every 6 months, so that's about right.

Manual says every 6 months...

Mileage and usage... not 'time' (unless you have not driven it for years/ or this is the very first oil change....I would change it the first time after 500/1,000 miles)

Go to a Ram/Cummin Diesel Forum for your year of truck and those boys and girls will tell you everything that you want to know about your new baby, imo

First Oil change...be careful - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Have fun with your new baby...

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #19

I do my own use Motor craft filter as recommended and they are the cheapest.
Also to get rid of the used oil they now pay me for it. I actually made a drain pan for mine holds all the oil and then some. Last time I changed oil was transmission and engine all filters and was around 250 for all parts so not bad. Rather do it myself I have always done it so no problem just don't trust them to do it.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #20

About $80.00 for my 2011 2500 HD. Trying to dispose of old oil load it/transport it ect is not worth the few dollars i would save. Not to mention laying on your back with oil running into your armpit;o)
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel