Old 09-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #41

We are talking about a weight distributing hitch

Old 09-10-2016, 10:41 PM   #42

trailer sway thoughts

I've been towing for a pretty long time and have had 3 trailers that needed weight distributing hitches and sway controls. Up until our latest trailer (3 years ago) we used the regular spring bars on chains and the friction sway control. I have always been glad I had them, but, with the new trailer I had to go to something a bit better. My dealer recommended the "Equalizer" hitch and after stalling around for a year and experiencing a pretty "wheel gripping" trip of about 600 miles in the wind with the old spring bars and sway control, I decided to plunk down the money on the Equalizer. Wow, what a difference! This not only does the weight distribution, but, also the sway control in one easy to hookup setup. I can really say I haven't been more happy. Now I can pull in the wind and have big trucks pass and I hardly have any movement at all, and what little there is, the truck and trailer move as if they are one vehicle. Best part is you can hook this thing up in just a couple of minutes and don't have to be absolutely square with the trailer when you do it. The company has a lot of helpful videos as well on their website to show you all about setting it up the first time and hooking up. Yes, it may be a bit pricey (but, not as much as some others), but, this setup really works and really feels good. I would recommend you look into it and at least get something, because, when you need it, it will be too late to go out and get it (as the souls on the Titanic might tell you about their lifeboats). And once you have it you can transfer it to other trailers as well. I also found this brand to be one of the easiest to hook up. Just shove the bars into the hitch and slide them onto the holders on the trailer (use the tongue jack to lift it) and clip them in. So much easier than the chains and friction bar (but not as cheap). Check out their website for info (equalizer hitch.com) or check with your local dealer or Camping World. But, the important takeaway is "Don't leave home without a sway control!"

Old 09-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #43

Sway bar on f150

I am pulling a 28' Freedom express and can't imagine not having a sway bar. This is my first tt and first post, but I have pulled boats and horse trailers all my life and I can tell you the sway bar makes a big difference. I can remember pulling boats and trailers in the wind and on interstates with 18 wheelers passing and it was a white knuckle experience. My first trip was over 1500 miles and I can tell you it was quite pleasant. If you travel enough you will get behind a trailer swaying all over the road. Get behind a uhaul trailer for a few miles and I think you will be glad to put a sway bar on.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #44

Oh yea forgot to mention equilizer hitch with the sway bar.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #45

You are right flip48, but the Equalizer hitch (Brand name: Equal-I-Zer) does both - control the sway and the weight distribution all in one unit. With it, you don't need any sway bars (presume you mean the friction ones) in addition. I believe there are a number of hitches out there that also come with the sway control built in, but, Equalizer is the easiest one I have worked with to hook up. Not cheap, but, it works really well. By the way I tow a Windjammer front kitchen 34.5 ft trailer with a Z-71 pickup. Been towing for about 41 years with hard sided trailers. Towed campers before that, and at one time had a VW bus camper. Using my old weight distribution bars and the friction sway bar (the old bars worked fine for the Windjammer weight distribution) I would have had to get a second friction sway bar and install it on the other side of the hitch, just adding more stuff to have to set up. My other trailer was shorter and could work with one bar, but, when you get past about 24-28 ft in length you have to get a second bar to prevent the sway. The Equalizer hitch took care of the problem completely, no other sway bars to buy. No, I don't work for the company (I'm a TV and Film Director/Producer, and retired university Professor), but, the thing worked so well after I blew all over the road with the old hitch that I am ecstatic about how well it works and how easy it was to hook up when we went out, that I guess I sound like a salesman for them. It was definitely worth the $600+ I paid for the hitch and installation, although, I would do the installation myself and save a bunch of money next time, since the dealer did it wrong and I had to redo it (professors have a compulsion about reading the instructions) after taking it out on a test trip. Enjoy your travels.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #46
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip48 View Post
Oh yea forgot to mention equilizer hitch with the sway bar.
The Equal-i-zer doesn't have a sway bar, it has the two weight bars that also contribute 2 of the 4 points of sway control.

If you have a single sway bar, you have a basic WDH, not an Equal-i-zer.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #47

Sway bar

Thank you for the clarification. I told you I was new to all this but yes mine is the Equil-i-zer hitch with the two weight bars. Bottom line is I feel in control and safe which is what you want on the road. BTW after my first trip I put some heavy duty shocks on the back of my f150 that made a big difference. Original shocks totally wore out with less than 50000 miles.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedread View Post
My salesman tried to talk me out of the WD hitch and the anti-sway. He told me it wasn't necessary when towing with my Tundra. I offered to let him drive it down the Columbia River ( Interstate 84) without a sway bar. There have been times when I have loaded 100 gallons of water and filled the fuel tank just for ballast when traveling the Gorge. I try to plan for the worst conditions so when I get caught in that situation, I have the correct equipment. Too many of us plan only for the normal conditions so are totally unprepared when the brown stuff hits the fan. Interestingly enough, the person who said you don't need it, is never with you when it happens. If your goal is to get to that nights CG safely, why would you even consider saving $250? Alright, time to step off of my soapbox and let someone else have a turn.

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
I was just there today east bound headed home the wind was kicking, not a lot of white caps on the river but still blowing all the way to Pendleton.

Now and then a gust would move the lite around some.

Anti sway and distro bars for a TT, yes buy them, use them.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:54 PM   #49

Incidentally, I have a good and cheap way of storing my bars on the trailer when at the campground or in storage (I do have indoor storage, though.). They are locked in place to make them more difficult to steal, too. I won't go through how you build it, but, if someone is interested, let me know.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
Incidentally, I have a good and cheap way of storing my bars on the trailer when at the campground or in storage (I do have indoor storage, though.). They are locked in place to make them more difficult to steal, too. I won't go through how you build it, but, if someone is interested, let me know.
Picture?

Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway