Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #1

Do I have enough truck?

Greetings all. I've been looking at numbers all morning and my head is about to explode. I could use some experienced input. First, I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra DC with the 4.7 V8 and factory tow package. I also already have the brake controller and air bags on the rear suspension. I'm considering a Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 22RBXL with a weight distribution hitch. Tow capacity on the truck is 6800#. People and dog weight in the truck is about 400#. Dry weight of the trailer is 3615#. I'm guessing no more than 1000# of other stuff in the trailer. From my inexperienced calculations, I should be okay, yes? I currently pull a Rockwood Premier 2307 with no problems. What say you? And many thanks in advance.

Mike
Skypilot54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #2

I say go 4 it! That Tundra with the tow package even with the smaller V8, should pull that length and weight without any problem, in my opinion. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #3

Just from what you have posted, you have an additional 2000lbs of towing capacity. You should be good to go.
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Site Team

it would help knowing where you live, since FR builds different Salems in 3 different regions.
there's no 22RBXL in the Midwest/Eastern region nor in the Northwest region.

i did find a 22RBXL in the Southwest region and if that's the one, you'll should be good to go. just realize that the "dry" weight is never what the trailer really weighs from the factory.
i would guess that it'll be 300-400lbs. more on the dealer's lot.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #5

Thanks all for the replies so far. I'm in central TX. And also want to add, we don't do dry camping, so I won't be hauling fresh water. I never used the tank in my current pop-up.
Skypilot54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #6

Sky;
I am pulling a Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306 with about 3700 Lbs dry weight and an estimated 800 Lbs of cargo, including us. I tow with a 2006 Tacoma 4.0L V6 equipped with tow package and tow capacity of 6500 Lbs. I've been out five times this year and am comfortable with the way the Tacoma has responded to varied conditions. I remain in 4th gear except for straight-aways and have no trouble maintaining good speed up long inclines. My speed varies from 50-65 mph depending upon the terrain, and I keep the RPMs around 2500. I use an equalizer hitch with integrated swaybars and am certainly aware that I am pulling a tt but have gained full confidence in my TV's ability to do the job. I may have a different story to tell when we travel West though the Rockies. Some of the grades I've encountered there tax a vehicle that isn't pulling a heavy rig, but the mountains of Pennsylvania have not been a problem. You should be fine with your Tundra. Best of luck.
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #7

Tundra should do it.

I tow a Rockwood Mini-Lite 2304 which is about 3700 dry weight with a 2005 Chevy Silverado 4.3L V-6 so far so good, I can tell I am pulling a trailer but it likes to go 62.5 MPH @ 2500 rpms and no problems yet. I think your Toyota should handle it no problem. I am going to upgrade the truck at some point but I hope to make it a year or two with the Chevy. Good Luck and Happy Camping!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
cat

enough truck

i pull the exact same trailer with a 2010 nissan frontier pulls great plenty of power you will be fine
cat is offline   Reply With Quote