Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #21

We pull our 5th wheel with a full size class 8 Kenworth tractor with a Smart car on the deck, I do not pull into weigh scales ( unless waved in by officer) and yet to have a issue. Florida DOT stopped me entering the campground with just the truck asked a few questions looked at registration & insurance cards and said have a nice day. The truck is tagged in Delaware as a RV
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Sound advice! We were Stopped/Weighted in South Carolina last year,on a State road! Youroo!!
Are you sure they didn't stop to weigh you to make sure you weren't bootleggin'?
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinmarriner View Post
Can you provide us with a copy of this law
8. What vehicles must go through weigh stations in Maryland?
All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce may be subject to a safety inspection.
Maryland Motor Carrier Frequently Asked Questions

2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Law, no. But I did correspond with the MD State Highway Administration via email.

The crazy part about this response is that simply in my dually with it's 12,300 lb. GVWR- even without towing, I'm technically required to stop.

Quote:
Hi -

You are correct, you would be required to enter. Although you are driving a RV for non-business use and are exempted from the commercial regulations, you must still enter the scale house with your vehicle as required by the signs “All vehicles over 5T GVWR/GCWR must enter” The reason being, if you use an RV for business (such as transporting a musical band that receives compensation ) all regulations would apply at that point, but the only way an inspector would know, is if you would make yourself available for interaction with the facility staff.

More than likely you will be flagged on through when you enter without ever having to stop, however the signs require you enter.

If signs on the approach to a scale house in other states indicate “ALL COMMERCIAL VEHICLES MUST ENTER” then you could confidently go by without entering. In Maryland however the signs do indicate “ALL VEHICLES…”

Hope this helps

Maryland State Highway Administration
Motor Carrier Division
CVISN Program
Data, Education & Compliance
Manager
If you'd like to PM me, I can provide the name and contact information for this individual if you want to get specific regulation details.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
8. What vehicles must go through weigh stations in Maryland?
All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce may be subject to a safety inspection.
Maryland Motor Carrier Frequently Asked Questions

I looked at that and nowhere did I see anything but commercial vehicles in there

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Law, no. But I did correspond with the MD State Highway Administration via email.

The crazy part about this response is that simply in my dually with it's 12,300 lb. GVWR- even without towing, I'm technically required to stop.

If you'd like to PM me, I can provide the name and contact information for this individual if you want to get specific regulation details.

I wonder why the individual did not just give you the specific regulation

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I wonder why the individual did not just give you the specific regulation
No clue, as that's what I asked for. But, if you'd like his contact info- PM me and I'll send it.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I looked at that and nowhere did I see anything but commercial vehicles in there

Well the language supports ALL VEHICLES and specifically excludes non commercial ones from inspection so it seems pretty clear to me that it is talking about both types of vehicles. But I can't find anything on line further that makes sense...and I have driven through MD several times without stopping and no bells and whistles have followed me!
Guess you takes yer chances.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #29
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Been back and forth across country, up and down also, and have never stopped or intend to...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #30
CDR USN Ret

[QUOTE=ependydad;1112083]Law, no. But I did correspond with the MD State Highway Administration via email.

Endquote

"educate, and don't listen to a forum" is outstanding advice, but that's easier to say than do.
I could spend a week attempting to contact the responsible office in every state I pass through. Cannot trust supposedly authoritative sources (such as AAA) and certainly not forum anecdotes. According to AAA link you do not have to stop (not agricultural, commercial or hazardous), but according to guidance given to ependydad MD signage does require "All vehicle over.."
That one instance of inconsistancy causes me to question the information given by AAA for other states as well. And I doubt AAA is going to represent you in court! Even contacting state authorities (State Police, DMV, can lead to differing interpretations and enforcement of the same statute - I had a chance to pull this string in NC a number of years ago).

Every state is different as to their weigh station requirements you need to know for each
-do the regulations apply to non-commercial vehicles?
-are the regulations based on GVWR or GCWR?

I, as most do not stop. But I do follow - all posted signs. As far as I know, all states require ALL vehicles to comply with posted traffic signs - so I carefully read all signs as I approach a weigh/inspection station.

I pass on by, but I'm prepared to have a discussion with law enforcement should I be "interviewed". I can at least state (very politely) that I misinterpreted the sign and can beg for forgiveness. But it has never happened.

Don't "cop an attitude" - you were obviously in violation and could end up invited for a weighing. Then you could end up with two violations, overweight and evading a weigh station. If you're overweight, they can park your rig 'till you comply.
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #31
Left Coast

Some weigh masters also just feel they need to justify their pay check...like rookies at custom stations...
Old 02-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #32
Dahagen

if they are open, drive on by. If they are closed many still have the scales on. Drive in and check your loaded weight on the digital readout.
dahagen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #33
Left Coast

X2
Old 02-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #34

I've been in 48 states in an RV. Always towing. Never stopped at a scales yet. Have only saw a couple coaches stop at the scales.

Nothing says I'm right and as previously stated if I were pulled over for not stopping I'd for sure agree with the officer and do as he asked with no argument.

I have no intent on starting stopping now. Just do as I've always done until the "law" advises me otherwise

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #35

I addressed that question to the state police about towing a cargo trailer. The answer is no. However, we do have to pull off for the ag check stations in Florida. They just ask if you are carrying any plants or produce. Not sure if RVs are exempt from the agricultural stations, but I have never seen an RV stopping. However, if the RV is towing a cargo trailer, they may have to enter. I will ask them the next time we pass through.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #36
Left Coast

Same thing entering Calif.....and they can inspect.....they really check boats
Old 02-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #37

Weigh Stations - AAA Digest of Motor Laws
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Rules vary by state/province.

Please educate, and don't listen to a forum.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
So your not sure either.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #39
Who Dares, Wins

I do not think anyone can answer the question with 100% certainty... Fact is the law is the law, each one can vary state to state and even with in the state they vary on how someone might interpret it which makes no help at ALL!

The MD stuff Ependydad posted is a perfect example.. I see the sign all the time along 1 (or 95 not sure) where it says ALL trucks over 5t must stop plus the work he put in contacting the DOT. But I bet if you pulled in the DOT guy would waive you by, or maybe not... Who knows.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #40

Quote:
I saw signs on the road in MD last week. I believe they stated Any vehicle over 5 tons had to pull in. The station I passed was closed and I am just under 5 tons so I scooted by.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scales