Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #61
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
I think it is more just satisfying the "I want" than the actual "I need".
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
Rugged Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
Not really relevant to the conversation, but I couldn't help myself. . Wash you vehicles weekly? Oh my... My truck is just under 3 years old and has never been 'washed'. It has went through the occasional car wash, but I sure as heck don't have time nor the inclination to wash it, most definitely not weekly. I don't have that kind of time.. .

At almost 10 bucks car washes aren't cheap, then again I am a cheap bugger..

I wash my truck after every rainfall, could be twice a week if necessary. Different strokes for different folks. Besides, a clean truck always runs better.
__________________

__________________
Terry/Bernadette
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #63
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
This is what extended warranties are for
(BTW, the powertrain warranty which includes all "that strap on stuff" on a New Dodge RAM 3500 is 100K miles)
This works great if you are able and willing to spend $50-$60K on a new diesel. What if you can only afford a $20-$25K truck? Then long term reliability is paramount cause you will be paying for those repairs. This is why I will be looking for a 5-6 year old Tundra with under 70K miles. Let someone else loose their shirt on depreciation in the first 5 years.
__________________
Ryno22980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno22980 View Post
This works great if you are able and willing to spend $50-$60K on a new diesel. What if you can only afford a $20-$25K truck? Then long term reliability is paramount cause you will be paying for those repairs. This is why I will be looking for a 5-6 year old Tundra with under 70K miles. Let someone else loose their shirt on depreciation in the first 5 years.
For ~$28-29K you can get a brand new 2014 F150XLT Ecoboost 2x4 SCrew (I'm assuming there are some still out there, but maybe not???). You'll probably save the difference in interest and get warranty to boot. Not to mention no "I wonder what the PO did with this truck???" thoughts.
__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #65
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
For ~$28-29K you can get a brand new 2014 F150XLT Ecoboost 2x4 SCrew (I'm assuming there are some still out there, but maybe not???). You'll probably save the difference in interest and get warranty to boot. Not to mention no "I wonder what the PO did with this truck???" thoughts.
Not a bad option, but I really need the 4X4 for snow and some of the trails I drive on to get to my hunting locations.

Another point, I have never purchased a truck/SUV with under 100K miles. Yet I have never been stuck on the side of the road with a break down. I find well taken care of vehicles and am religious with the maintenance. The point is that today's gas engines can last a lot longer than they are given credit for. The only reason I will move up to a $20-25K truck is because I want to take a couple of long hauls with the family in the next 5 years.

My Navigator is 15 year old, has 171K miles on the clock and tows my 7K TT fine. No speed records set, but handles it well for my 100-150 mile flat terrain jaunts. However, I will upgrade before I ever attempt a mountain pass or cross country trip.
__________________
Ryno22980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
If you can afford a diesel, then do it. They do cost more to purchase and operate.
I have always been a Ford guy, but just bought a 2015 Ram 2500 CC-SB 6.7L Cummins turbodiesel 4x4 off a dealer's lot (I have explained why in several other threads). And I found no "diesel premium" compared to the 2015 Ford Supercab, Eco-boost, long-bed, Max Tow/H-D Payload, XLT 4x4 I had special-ordered. In fact, I paid $1,000 LESS for the Ram 2500 than I would have paid for the gasoline-engine F-150!

We just completed a 1,000-mile all-Interstate break-in trip at a calculated 23.4 MPG and a 2,500-mile tow at 12.4 MPG (including an entire day on I-40 in OK with 40 MPH headwinds) with the Ram diesel. That is better mileage than I expected to get with the Eco-boost, both on the highway and towing, and we found stations in Indiana and Kentucky where regular gas cost nearly the same as diesel--both expensive. So, we are now VERY happy that Ford couldn't/wouldn't deliver the F-150!
__________________

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
Not really relevant to the conversation, but I couldn't help myself. . Wash you vehicles weekly? Oh my... My truck is just under 3 years old and has never been 'washed'. It has went through the occasional car wash, but I sure as heck don't have time nor the inclination to wash it, most definitely not weekly. I don't have that kind of time.. .

At almost 10 bucks car washes aren't cheap, then again I am a cheap bugger..
YIKES! Car washes in Eastpointe MI that do "the works" (Including underbody sealant) are $6 car/$7 trucks (and darn if a couple of washes can run a dually through them!). At the wash I use when we go up there after the truck is washed there is a guy in the bay that will towel dry your rig for a $1! ($8 total)
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 110
It's very interesting to hear all the opinions expressed by everyone. I wanted an F350 with a 7.3. Problem is they are old and generally have high miles. I found one about 400 miles away F350 extended cab dually 4x4 with only 80,000 miles, exhaust brake and aftermarket gauges. I got it for $16,400 with a 20k fifth wheel hitch. All it needed were new tires and an oil change.

This was only last year. There are quite a few in Oregon like this. I'm always willing to be patient and willing to drive some distance to get what I want. Just be patient, and "the truck" will come.

I LOVE my diesel and will never go back.
__________________
2001 Ford F-350 7.3 dually
2000 Salem T23 (sold)
2015 Vengeance Touring 39R12 (We love it!)
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusikShoppe View Post
It's very interesting to hear all the opinions expressed by everyone. I wanted an F350 with a 7.3. Problem is they are old and generally have high miles. I found one about 400 miles away F350 extended cab dually 4x4 with only 80,000 miles, exhaust brake and aftermarket gauges. I got it for $16,400 with a 20k fifth wheel hitch. All it needed were new tires and an oil change.

This was only last year. There are quite a few in Oregon like this. I'm always willing to be patient and willing to drive some distance to get what I want. Just be patient, and "the truck" will come.

I LOVE my diesel and will never go back.
The 96-97 model 7.3's had a fuse you could pull that would kill the speedo and odometer. It was very common for people to do this and show significantly fewer miles than they had. I've run across a few that I KNOW this had been done to. Not sure if that was still possible in the 00-03 ones- just thought I'd throw that out there in case.
__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #70
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 18
Diesel or Gas

I encountered this problem a few years back when I purchased a travel trailer that matched spec wise to my then Silverado 1500, with a 5.3L engine.
As long as I traveled on relatively flat roads, there were no problems. However, when I hit one of those "6% incline for the next 5 miles", it was a different story. Point is, you will face this in your travels, and as has been stated, a diesel, which develops much greater torque than any gas engine, will always handle this with NO issues.
Long story short, I traded the Silverado in for a diesel. You will not regret this decision.

AZMac
__________________

__________________
AZMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.