Old 04-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno22980 View Post
Not a bad option, but I really need the 4X4 for snow and some of the trails I drive on to get to my hunting locations.

Another point, I have never purchased a truck/SUV with under 100K miles. Yet I have never been stuck on the side of the road with a break down. I find well taken care of vehicles and am religious with the maintenance. The point is that today's gas engines can last a lot longer than they are given credit for. The only reason I will move up to a $20-25K truck is because I want to take a couple of long hauls with the family in the next 5 years.

My Navigator is 15 year old, has 171K miles on the clock and tows my 7K TT fine. No speed records set, but handles it well for my 100-150 mile flat terrain jaunts. However, I will upgrade before I ever attempt a mountain pass or cross country trip.
If you are buying a truck in the 20-25k range, chances are that you are better off buying a new truck. Trucks have such a high resale vale anymore that the intial deprecation is handled by the rebates that are offered. In addition, you will get lower interest rates on the new vehicle. I didn't have a car or truck under 100k when we bought our new Ram 2500 and I didn't plan to buy new. But the math and numbers made more sense for new purchase. Sure instead of a 3 year note, i got a 5 year, but the numbers were the same.

With that said... I am in the minority as well, I bought a brand new Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 with a gasser. While I plan on driving this truck to the break even point that i keep hearing of 108k, i don't want a diesel. I don't drive my truck every day. It often sits till the weekend. That 108k doesn't take into account that diesels cost more to service and maintain (oil changes etc) Another reason for the gasser, I will upgrade, but my next TV will still be something that I can fit in National Parks. Its just DW, the pups and I, i don't need a large apartment on the back of my truck. I go camping to get outside. When the day is over, I like to relax in the comfort of my bed, use my own bathroom etc. Additionally, DW refuses to camp in a tent in Bear country again.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #72
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
You do not "need" a diesel, but I think you would like it.
Times 10!! Diesel pulling is so much more relaxing.....

2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #73

My mechanic checked it out and couldn't believe how nice it is. I bought it from a 94 year old man who stopped using it when his wife got sick. I have been driving it for a year with no issues other than a couple of hoses which one would expect with the age issues. My tire guy wants to buy it and so does my mechanic, but I'm keeping it forever. It's not even completely broken in yet.

I love towing the steep grades now. I used to dread them in our gasser and it was a one ton single with a 454. Nothing pulls like a diesel!
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #74

Dustman,
My mechanic checked it out and couldn't believe how nice it is. I bought it from a 94 year old man who stopped using it when his wife got sick. I have been driving it for a year with no issues other than a couple of hoses which one would expect with the age issues. My tire guy wants to buy it and so does my mechanic, but I'm keeping it forever. It's not even completely broken in yet.

I love towing the steep grades now. I used to dread them in our gasser and it was a one ton single with a 454. Nothing pulls like a diesel![/QUOTE]
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #75

Diesel and you will never tow with gasser again!!! If you can afford it cause you can't take it with you. I'm about to update mine to a dually 1 Ton just to replace my old 1 Ton SRW even though it does just fine towing 16800# loaded. Time for new. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
If you are buying a truck in the 20-25k range, chances are that you are better off buying a new truck. Trucks have such a high resale vale anymore that the intial deprecation is handled by the rebates that are offered. In addition, you will get lower interest rates on the new vehicle. I didn't have a car or truck under 100k when we bought our new Ram 2500 and I didn't plan to buy new. But the math and numbers made more sense for new purchase. Sure instead of a 3 year note, i got a 5 year, but the numbers were the same.
I'm so poor I'll need the 5 year note to pay for the $20K used truck. However, given my history, I'll keep it for 12 years so it will still be worth it.

I ran my own hypothetical numbers in the given used vs. new scenario. My estimated additional depreciation incurred would only be about $6K more over 10 years if I bought new. That works out to about $500 a year. Not terrible, but even if I could afford the payment on a new truck, I wouldn't want to. I'd prefer to save that money for more vacations. Not to mention, I really love the appearance of the '07 to '13 Tundras more than the new ones.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #77

You DO need a diesel , you just need to convince you wife. Once you get one you will wonder how you managed without one.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:05 AM   #78

If you were to go to Goshen Indiana and sit in the Walmart parking lot you would see 100's of tow vehicles and they will ALL be diesels.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #79
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Just ran the mountains on I 70 around Vail, Co. with my 2014 GMC Duramax and I am glad I had the diesel. It pulled me up the hill great and also let me ride down safely. With the Alison trans and the exhaust brake I didn't need to heat up the brakes. Now I know why I didn't skimp on buying this truck.
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsabe07 View Post
But do I absolutely need one?
No, not "absolutely"

If you are happy with the performance of the gasser, no need to upgrade.

Tags
diesel