Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Style View Post
Diesel, Get the 1Ton you won't regret it, I wish I would have gotten one for when I up grade to a 5er 37ft, Buy the right truck the first time.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Amen. Everyone upgrades to a larger unit.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #42

We have a HD 3/4 ton gas Chevy Silverado and a 1 ton diesel HD GMC. The diesel is the winner!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I don't know about a gas engine, but my diesel has two fuel filters? They are about 75.00 a pop. I change mine every other oil change.
I'll take that over a Ford gas engine that either blows the spark plugs out or they break off in the head. Makes that fuel filter price not so bad.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #44
Love RVing

Nights out and miles traveled make decision easier. Like thebrakeman said, long hard pulls and decends much more fun with diesel. We are out on the road more than home. F350 V-10 got 7-10mpg and 3500 diesel 10-13. Gaser screamed in Rockies and Cascades while diesel glides along.
burse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I'll take that over a Ford gas engine that either blows the spark plugs out or they break off in the head. Makes that fuel filter price not so bad.
Why are you comparing having a new diesel to a 5.4 Ford from 10+years ago? I guess I could compare the Ford 6.2 gas to the 6.0 PSD and extol the gas engine's virtues????
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #46

diesel

Traded my F-150 in for a F-250 diesel and could not be happier. The F-150 did the job, but i knew i was towing. With the F-250 it flys. I am amazed at the difference. You will love a diesel. I didn't NEED it, but life is short, live it. Look around, most all i see is the F-250 at the campground.
larryallenmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #47

I do agree that with the rig the original poster is towing, a diesel is in order and the better choice by far.

In a more toss up situation like mine (7K TT) I think a 400hp gasser with good steep rear end gears can easily fit the bill for way less money.

Also, the 2-3 mpg advantage you achieve towing with a diesel, is nearly completely negated by the higher cost of diesel at the pumps. Might not be that way forever, but it has been that way for quite a while now.

1999 Lincoln Navigator 4X4 5.4L 32v Intech
Ryno22980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #48
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I pulled up to Flagstaff on I 17 with some 6% grades yesterday. When I got tied up behind semi's doing 20-30mph the Duramax just got up and walked around the traffic. The rpms was at 2500 and not screaming with more pedal to go if I needed. When going down the grades the Allison trans held it back without riding the brakes and still had an exhaust brake option. I'm pulling a 38' Wildcat 5er and feels better than the old days of towing my 26' Jayco TT with a GMC 1500 gas. Life is better now.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #49

Diesel

I noticed in a past post someone mentioned "repairs to a diesel engine". In the three diesels I've owned or driven, none have ever had any repairs done. All three had at least 260,000 miles on the clock. One was over 300,000 and still strong. Longevity is something to think about.
Once you have owned a diesel, you will not go back IMHO. The one I have now is a 2013 Duramax/Allison and has been the better of the three I've owned or driven [work] in the past 15 years. I only have 40,000 and change on this one. Keep the oil and filters changed and they last a long, long time. Even if I didn't have an RV, I would still own a diesel.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'm not so sure your numbers hold up with today's gas and diesel engines. While the main components of a diesel might outlast a gas engine 3 to 1, there is now a LOT of stuff strapped to them that won't. While the long block might go for 500K, things like the DPF and DEF system likely won't. Will the injectors now running 30,000+ PSI last that long? What about fuel pumps? If one of the new HPFP's goes, you just spent $10-$12K replacing your entire fuel system. Also, today's gas engines last a very long time with pretty basic maintenance. 200K+ is not unusual. The day's of a gas engine being shot and ready for a rebuild at 100K have been gone for a while now. The advances in gasoline engine reliability and the EPA mandated emissions control systems on diesel engines have pretty much negated this argument. The towing performance of a diesel is pretty much the only strong case you can make for purchasing one in my opinion.
There are a lot of "what ifs" in there! I'm 69 years old and only live by the "what has been" events. It's those situations that have formed my opinions and not the what if worries. My dad used to say "what if a bullfrog had shock absorbers, he wouldn't bump his butt every time he jumped".
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I noticed in a past post someone mentioned "repairs to a diesel engine". In the three diesels I've owned or driven, none have ever had any repairs done. All three had at least 260,000 miles on the clock. One was over 300,000 and still strong. Longevity is something to think about.
Once you have owned a diesel, you will not go back IMHO. The one I have now is a 2013 Duramax/Allison and has been the better of the three I've owned or driven [work] in the past 15 years. I only have 40,000 and change on this one. Keep the oil and filters changed and they last a long, long time. Even if I didn't have an RV, I would still own a diesel.
You are very fortunate, I have talked to plenty of people that have had to do fuel related work that cost them upwards of $2000. Some don't mind, cause it's like a hobby to them and they love their diesels. I personally would be pissed. Engine and transmission are the only 2 components on a gasoline truck that would exceed that cost.

For those who boast about the longevity of the diesel trucks, how are the bodies of these rigs looking after 400K miles? If you live in Wisconsin and use it in the winter, the panels will likely be falling apart. If you have the money to buy a newer diesel, I doubt you will be keeping the truck long enough to see that superior longevity anyway. I'm not trying to rip on folks who like to own these trucks, I'm just coming from a practical dollars and cents angle.
Ryno22980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:48 AM   #52

If you are willing to travel, there is a place in Virginia that deals in mostly used diesels, prices seem fair.

http://mobile.warrentonselect.com

Crusader 335BHS
Chevy 2500 6.6L

Sent from my iPhone

2011 Chevy 2500HD Diesel
EODfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:09 AM   #53
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno22980 View Post
...For those who boast about the longevity of the diesel trucks, how are the bodies of these rigs looking after 400K miles? If you live in Wisconsin and use it in the winter, the panels will likely be falling apart. If you have the money to buy a newer diesel, I doubt you will be keeping the truck long enough to see that superior longevity anyway. I'm not trying to rip on folks who like to own these trucks, I'm just coming from a practical dollars and cents angle.
I agree if you live in the snow belt that the rest of the truck will be left all over the road, the interior worn out, etc.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #54

I think very few people keep vehicles over 200,000 miles. To hit the 400,000 mile mark is very unusual.

I think the vast majority of people simply get bored with the vehicle or are seduced by a shiny new one and just want a new truck. Americans would have much less debt if they could learn to keep items that are functioning fine and not replace things because they want something newer. Those that can resist the marketing departments are not in the majority. Remember Star Trek. "Resistance is futile." lol.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:42 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
There are a lot of "what ifs" in there! I'm 69 years old and only live by the "what has been" events. It's those situations that have formed my opinions and not the what if worries. My dad used to say "what if a bullfrog had shock absorbers, he wouldn't bump his butt every time he jumped".

This isn't a very logical approach to use when comparing vehicle drivetrains, IMHO- especially with so much constantly changing technology involved now. It is a fact that the new diesels have a lot of complex emissions equipment. It is a fact that new gasoline engines can easily reach 200K or more on basic maintenance. It is a fact that repairs on new diesel trucks are costly. I can't speak in absolute terms because there will be new diesels that go for 400K on basic maintenance and there will be gas engines that don't break 100K before needing a major repair. But the days of that being the rule rather than the exception are gone. Your historical observations about gas and diesel engines have little to do with what type of service you can realistically expect on a new truck.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #56

My 2nd last diesel was 10 years old when I traded it in on the one we have now. They use salt here like it's going out of style. If you do the maintenance, then the body should survive quite well. My old one was oiled once a year. Not one bit of rust. This one is undercoated and checked under the warranty every year. I look at owning a diesel this way, will it pay you back while you own it or do you want the fuel mileage and hauling capability, etc right away? I chose the 2nd. Luckily we are in the position to own a diesel because the engine & tranny are expensive for sure. If I can help it I will never own another gas job. My youngest son's 1/2 ton dodge hemi, pulling a 28 ft TT goes through a lot of gas. Just my opinion.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #57

Quote:
You are very fortunate, I have talked to plenty of people that have had to do fuel related work that cost them upwards of $2000. Some don't mind, cause it's like a hobby to them and they love their diesels. I personally would be pissed. Engine and transmission are the only 2 components on a gasoline truck that would exceed that cost.
This is what extended warranties are for
(BTW, the powertrain warranty which includes all "that strap on stuff" on a New Dodge RAM 3500 is 100K miles)

Oil Changes are every 15K miles
Fuel Filters are every 30K miles or when the 'puter sez so

Not meaning to argue here; I am just saying what the Dodge specs I got from the dealer are say'n.

Quote:
For those who boast about the longevity of the diesel trucks, how are the bodies of these rigs looking after 400K miles? If you live in Wisconsin and use it in the winter, the panels will likely be falling apart. If you have the money to buy a newer diesel, I doubt you will be keeping the truck long enough to see that superior longevity anyway. I'm not trying to rip on folks who like to own these trucks, I'm just coming from a practical dollars and cents angle.
This is why the new trucks are coming with super-seal undercoats. Plus, as
I have learned (having a DW from the Snowbelt) this is why you wash your vehicle weekly (and why the car washes are so cheap up north)

We lived in Europe for 4 1/2 years drove ALL over Bavaria/Austria/Switzerland in the winter. Had over 160K miles on our Hyundai XG350L when we shipped it back to the USA in 2012. Because of the way we maintained it the only issue we had with the underbody was the bolts on the struts had to have lock-ez gooped on them before we could replace them

Back on to the thread topic. As most of ya'll know, I am in the group of folks who think that a 1/2 Ton truck, properly equipped, can tow even a modern day lightweight 5er (the 2015 Ford EcoBoost, properly equipped can tow 11.7K! ) So I agree with one of the posters who said match what you are going to tow with the truck.

Having said THAT...if you even remotely think you are going to upgrade in the next 3-5 years to something that you cannot tow with your current TV...plan ahead and get a bigger TV. Your ROI on a 1T diesel dually starts at @ 108K miles. Plus while you are towing the lighter load you will get a heck of a lot better diesel mileage than a gasser. When you DO upgrade to that 17K toy hauler/5er your TV will just about be broken in and you will still have lots more miles on the truck before you need to think about trading it in.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
I have learned (having a DW from the Snowbelt) this is why you wash your vehicle weekly (and why the car washes are so cheap up north)
Not really relevant to the conversation, but I couldn't help myself. . Wash you vehicles weekly? Oh my... My truck is just under 3 years old and has never been 'washed'. It has went through the occasional car wash, but I sure as heck don't have time nor the inclination to wash it, most definitely not weekly. I don't have that kind of time.. .

At almost 10 bucks car washes aren't cheap, then again I am a cheap bugger..

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #59

must throw a wee bit of screech on it to make it feel good tho'????
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #60
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Talk about rust on a truck makes laugh. I just traded in 2008 GMC a year ago that had a rust problem. It was in the body shop twice to repair rust. The rust was coming from the insde of the inner box. The truck could have done another 100,000 miles but would have looked like a rust bucket. So it's what you feel good riding in.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel