Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #61
Mod free 5er

I think it is more just satisfying the "I want" than the actual "I need".
Old 04-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
Not really relevant to the conversation, but I couldn't help myself. . Wash you vehicles weekly? Oh my... My truck is just under 3 years old and has never been 'washed'. It has went through the occasional car wash, but I sure as heck don't have time nor the inclination to wash it, most definitely not weekly. I don't have that kind of time.. .

At almost 10 bucks car washes aren't cheap, then again I am a cheap bugger..

I wash my truck after every rainfall, could be twice a week if necessary. Different strokes for different folks. Besides, a clean truck always runs better.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
This is what extended warranties are for
(BTW, the powertrain warranty which includes all "that strap on stuff" on a New Dodge RAM 3500 is 100K miles)
This works great if you are able and willing to spend $50-$60K on a new diesel. What if you can only afford a $20-$25K truck? Then long term reliability is paramount cause you will be paying for those repairs. This is why I will be looking for a 5-6 year old Tundra with under 70K miles. Let someone else loose their shirt on depreciation in the first 5 years.
Ryno22980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno22980 View Post
This works great if you are able and willing to spend $50-$60K on a new diesel. What if you can only afford a $20-$25K truck? Then long term reliability is paramount cause you will be paying for those repairs. This is why I will be looking for a 5-6 year old Tundra with under 70K miles. Let someone else loose their shirt on depreciation in the first 5 years.
For ~$28-29K you can get a brand new 2014 F150XLT Ecoboost 2x4 SCrew (I'm assuming there are some still out there, but maybe not???). You'll probably save the difference in interest and get warranty to boot. Not to mention no "I wonder what the PO did with this truck???" thoughts.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
For ~$28-29K you can get a brand new 2014 F150XLT Ecoboost 2x4 SCrew (I'm assuming there are some still out there, but maybe not???). You'll probably save the difference in interest and get warranty to boot. Not to mention no "I wonder what the PO did with this truck???" thoughts.
Not a bad option, but I really need the 4X4 for snow and some of the trails I drive on to get to my hunting locations.

Another point, I have never purchased a truck/SUV with under 100K miles. Yet I have never been stuck on the side of the road with a break down. I find well taken care of vehicles and am religious with the maintenance. The point is that today's gas engines can last a lot longer than they are given credit for. The only reason I will move up to a $20-25K truck is because I want to take a couple of long hauls with the family in the next 5 years.

My Navigator is 15 year old, has 171K miles on the clock and tows my 7K TT fine. No speed records set, but handles it well for my 100-150 mile flat terrain jaunts. However, I will upgrade before I ever attempt a mountain pass or cross country trip.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
If you can afford a diesel, then do it. They do cost more to purchase and operate.
I have always been a Ford guy, but just bought a 2015 Ram 2500 CC-SB 6.7L Cummins turbodiesel 4x4 off a dealer's lot (I have explained why in several other threads). And I found no "diesel premium" compared to the 2015 Ford Supercab, Eco-boost, long-bed, Max Tow/H-D Payload, XLT 4x4 I had special-ordered. In fact, I paid $1,000 LESS for the Ram 2500 than I would have paid for the gasoline-engine F-150!

We just completed a 1,000-mile all-Interstate break-in trip at a calculated 23.4 MPG and a 2,500-mile tow at 12.4 MPG (including an entire day on I-40 in OK with 40 MPH headwinds) with the Ram diesel. That is better mileage than I expected to get with the Eco-boost, both on the highway and towing, and we found stations in Indiana and Kentucky where regular gas cost nearly the same as diesel--both expensive. So, we are now VERY happy that Ford couldn't/wouldn't deliver the F-150!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
Not really relevant to the conversation, but I couldn't help myself. . Wash you vehicles weekly? Oh my... My truck is just under 3 years old and has never been 'washed'. It has went through the occasional car wash, but I sure as heck don't have time nor the inclination to wash it, most definitely not weekly. I don't have that kind of time.. .

At almost 10 bucks car washes aren't cheap, then again I am a cheap bugger..
YIKES! Car washes in Eastpointe MI that do "the works" (Including underbody sealant) are $6 car/$7 trucks (and darn if a couple of washes can run a dually through them!). At the wash I use when we go up there after the truck is washed there is a guy in the bay that will towel dry your rig for a $1! ($8 total)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #68

It's very interesting to hear all the opinions expressed by everyone. I wanted an F350 with a 7.3. Problem is they are old and generally have high miles. I found one about 400 miles away F350 extended cab dually 4x4 with only 80,000 miles, exhaust brake and aftermarket gauges. I got it for $16,400 with a 20k fifth wheel hitch. All it needed were new tires and an oil change.

This was only last year. There are quite a few in Oregon like this. I'm always willing to be patient and willing to drive some distance to get what I want. Just be patient, and "the truck" will come.

I LOVE my diesel and will never go back.
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusikShoppe View Post
It's very interesting to hear all the opinions expressed by everyone. I wanted an F350 with a 7.3. Problem is they are old and generally have high miles. I found one about 400 miles away F350 extended cab dually 4x4 with only 80,000 miles, exhaust brake and aftermarket gauges. I got it for $16,400 with a 20k fifth wheel hitch. All it needed were new tires and an oil change.

This was only last year. There are quite a few in Oregon like this. I'm always willing to be patient and willing to drive some distance to get what I want. Just be patient, and "the truck" will come.

I LOVE my diesel and will never go back.
The 96-97 model 7.3's had a fuse you could pull that would kill the speedo and odometer. It was very common for people to do this and show significantly fewer miles than they had. I've run across a few that I KNOW this had been done to. Not sure if that was still possible in the 00-03 ones- just thought I'd throw that out there in case.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #70

Diesel or Gas

I encountered this problem a few years back when I purchased a travel trailer that matched spec wise to my then Silverado 1500, with a 5.3L engine.
As long as I traveled on relatively flat roads, there were no problems. However, when I hit one of those "6% incline for the next 5 miles", it was a different story. Point is, you will face this in your travels, and as has been stated, a diesel, which develops much greater torque than any gas engine, will always handle this with NO issues.
Long story short, I traded the Silverado in for a diesel. You will not regret this decision.

AZMac
AZMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno22980 View Post
Not a bad option, but I really need the 4X4 for snow and some of the trails I drive on to get to my hunting locations.

Another point, I have never purchased a truck/SUV with under 100K miles. Yet I have never been stuck on the side of the road with a break down. I find well taken care of vehicles and am religious with the maintenance. The point is that today's gas engines can last a lot longer than they are given credit for. The only reason I will move up to a $20-25K truck is because I want to take a couple of long hauls with the family in the next 5 years.

My Navigator is 15 year old, has 171K miles on the clock and tows my 7K TT fine. No speed records set, but handles it well for my 100-150 mile flat terrain jaunts. However, I will upgrade before I ever attempt a mountain pass or cross country trip.
If you are buying a truck in the 20-25k range, chances are that you are better off buying a new truck. Trucks have such a high resale vale anymore that the intial deprecation is handled by the rebates that are offered. In addition, you will get lower interest rates on the new vehicle. I didn't have a car or truck under 100k when we bought our new Ram 2500 and I didn't plan to buy new. But the math and numbers made more sense for new purchase. Sure instead of a 3 year note, i got a 5 year, but the numbers were the same.

With that said... I am in the minority as well, I bought a brand new Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 with a gasser. While I plan on driving this truck to the break even point that i keep hearing of 108k, i don't want a diesel. I don't drive my truck every day. It often sits till the weekend. That 108k doesn't take into account that diesels cost more to service and maintain (oil changes etc) Another reason for the gasser, I will upgrade, but my next TV will still be something that I can fit in National Parks. Its just DW, the pups and I, i don't need a large apartment on the back of my truck. I go camping to get outside. When the day is over, I like to relax in the comfort of my bed, use my own bathroom etc. Additionally, DW refuses to camp in a tent in Bear country again.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #72
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
You do not "need" a diesel, but I think you would like it.
Times 10!! Diesel pulling is so much more relaxing.....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #73

My mechanic checked it out and couldn't believe how nice it is. I bought it from a 94 year old man who stopped using it when his wife got sick. I have been driving it for a year with no issues other than a couple of hoses which one would expect with the age issues. My tire guy wants to buy it and so does my mechanic, but I'm keeping it forever. It's not even completely broken in yet.

I love towing the steep grades now. I used to dread them in our gasser and it was a one ton single with a 454. Nothing pulls like a diesel!
Old 04-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #74

Dustman,
My mechanic checked it out and couldn't believe how nice it is. I bought it from a 94 year old man who stopped using it when his wife got sick. I have been driving it for a year with no issues other than a couple of hoses which one would expect with the age issues. My tire guy wants to buy it and so does my mechanic, but I'm keeping it forever. It's not even completely broken in yet.

I love towing the steep grades now. I used to dread them in our gasser and it was a one ton single with a 454. Nothing pulls like a diesel![/QUOTE]
Old 04-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #75

Diesel and you will never tow with gasser again!!! If you can afford it cause you can't take it with you. I'm about to update mine to a dually 1 Ton just to replace my old 1 Ton SRW even though it does just fine towing 16800# loaded. Time for new. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
If you are buying a truck in the 20-25k range, chances are that you are better off buying a new truck. Trucks have such a high resale vale anymore that the intial deprecation is handled by the rebates that are offered. In addition, you will get lower interest rates on the new vehicle. I didn't have a car or truck under 100k when we bought our new Ram 2500 and I didn't plan to buy new. But the math and numbers made more sense for new purchase. Sure instead of a 3 year note, i got a 5 year, but the numbers were the same.
I'm so poor I'll need the 5 year note to pay for the $20K used truck. However, given my history, I'll keep it for 12 years so it will still be worth it.

I ran my own hypothetical numbers in the given used vs. new scenario. My estimated additional depreciation incurred would only be about $6K more over 10 years if I bought new. That works out to about $500 a year. Not terrible, but even if I could afford the payment on a new truck, I wouldn't want to. I'd prefer to save that money for more vacations. Not to mention, I really love the appearance of the '07 to '13 Tundras more than the new ones.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #77

You DO need a diesel , you just need to convince you wife. Once you get one you will wonder how you managed without one.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:05 AM   #78

If you were to go to Goshen Indiana and sit in the Walmart parking lot you would see 100's of tow vehicles and they will ALL be diesels.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #79
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Just ran the mountains on I 70 around Vail, Co. with my 2014 GMC Duramax and I am glad I had the diesel. It pulled me up the hill great and also let me ride down safely. With the Alison trans and the exhaust brake I didn't need to heat up the brakes. Now I know why I didn't skimp on buying this truck.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsabe07 View Post
But do I absolutely need one?
No, not "absolutely"

If you are happy with the performance of the gasser, no need to upgrade.
BobandArlene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel